Author Topic: Anna from England--- Not Good News  (Read 1168 times)

LorraineAAB

Anna from England--- Not Good News
« on: October 21, 2003, 04:53:12 AM »
I know there are those here who recall, both from the Festivals and other USA DS events , as well as posts she made to this board, now over a year ago, Anna, the wheelchair-bound "cousin from England."

If you were at this year's Festival, then you know that she was clearly quite deteriorated since 2002, yet somehow, made it across "the Pond" alone, as she has so many times.   She had lost much weight, had an unhealthy color, and wandered in her mind.

Although, unlike then, I did not spend as much time with her (for once, others took some responsibility, and she even met a nice fellow who befriended and spent a lot of time with her), I did talk to her.  When she was lucid, she seemed resigned, even peaceful about whatever was to come.  Moreover, she now had visits from her daughter and grand-daughter, which consoled her.

Well, recently, the feeling had been growing upon me that I needed to know how she was.  But there seemed to be obstacles.  She was always having internet problems, and I wasn't sure the PO address she once gave me was still OK.  Plus, a message there would take at least a week to get there, and who was handling her mail?

But I took a chance with the last e-addy she used, and yesterday, I received a message from her stepfather  that Anna is now very seriously ill, and is not expected to recover.  While not surprised, as the concept sunk in, you know how it is, "She survived so much" and it is difficult to accept that it is extremely unlikely that she will be there in the future.

In spite of troubles that went beyond her physical handicaps, and despite the difficulties some of us encountered in caring for her in the past, she has been one of the dearest people I have ever met at these events.  It took a lot of courage to travel alone in her condition, and "depending on the kindness of strangers".  Most of the time, she received it, and deservedly so. 

I have long maintained that the affirmation and fellowship of these "friviolous, trivial, silly" events kept such ailing actors as Louis Edmonds and Dennis Patrick alive longer than they otherwise would have, and I believe it has been so for Anna, as well.

So let those of us who pray, say a prayer for her, or at least, think kind, positive thoughts of her.  I am not at liberty to give out the e-addy or home address, but if anyone would like to address messages directly to her and her family, send them to my e-mail which IS listed on my profile, and I will forward them.  (I hope to get an actual card out there ASAP as well.)

Thanks,
Lorraine

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Anna from England--- Not Good News
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 06:59:02 AM »
I'm awfully sorry to hear this news, Lorraine.  I've only had scattered conversations with Anna at the past two Festivals, but in that time she struck me as fairly outgoing.  Her devotion to the show and her determination to attend the events is indeed impressive considering the difficulties of traveling, resulting both from her health and from exterior circumstances.  The last I heard, she was preparing to undergo some new treatments; I had hoped that these would be helpful to her.   I will continue to hope for the best, that she will recover and might even be able to attend the next event after all.

ProfStokes

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 02:26:04 PM »
I know there are those here who recall, both from the Festivals and other USA DS events , as well as posts she made to this board, now over a year ago, Anna, the wheelchair-bound "cousin from England."

Anna is indeed a very pleasant person, and super devoted fan of Dark Shadows. Please extend my well wishes to her and her family when next you write.
                                                                  Bob
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 06:18:06 PM »
I'm sorry to hear she's not doing well.  My thoughts are with her family.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline MaineGirl

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 10:55:30 PM »

<snip>

So let those of us who pray, say a prayer for her, or at least, think kind, positive thoughts of her.  I am not at liberty to give out the e-addy or home address, but if anyone would like to address messages directly to her and her family, send them to my e-mail which IS listed on my profile, and I will forward them.  (I hope to get an actual card out there ASAP as well.)

Thank you, Lorraine, for your update on Anne. I know how difficult it is to try and balance the needs of others at the DS fests, as well as to consider our own needs. Anne was indeed needy in a lot of ways, but in a nice way, and you were so very supportive of her, and helped her as much as you could. I *saw* you, Lorraine, bending over backwards to be nice to Anne and to give her assistance as you could, even though there were other things you would rather have been doing.

And here again, you bring us news, taking the time to search out for news of the wellbeing of Anne, some distance away over the pond.

So, while I will send good energy Anne's way, and hope that her condition is as stable and comfortable as possible, I will also send it YOUR way, as a thank you for the kindness you continually show others.

Best Regards,

MaineGirl :)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2003, 01:26:21 AM »
I didn't notice or see Anna in the few hours I was at the festival, but she sounds like a fantastic person.  My thoughts are with her, and all her family and friends.  And we fans of Dark Shadows are family, too.  Thanks for letting us know, Lorraine!

Gerard

Offline Minja

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2003, 03:39:31 PM »
Thank You Lorraine for letting us know how Anna is doing.  Between the LA fest and this last one I have often wondered how she is doing.

Lorraine wrote
In spite of troubles that went beyond her physical handicaps, and despite the difficulties some of us encountered in caring for her in the past, she has been one of the dearest people I have ever met at these events.  It took a lot of courage to travel alone in her condition, and "depending on the kindness of strangers".  Most of the time, she received it, and deservedly so.

I second that Lorraine, I couldn't have said it any better.
Do let her family know she's in my thoughts and prayers.
And Bless Your Heart for all the help you've given to Anna in the past.  You are a true Angel.

Always, Minja
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2003, 01:53:55 AM »
My prayers go out to Anna. She was always so wonderfully kind to me and we shared some wonderful conversations at the fest and Halloween parties.
It seemed Anna had quite an interesting life. Some of heartbreak and some of quite entertaining stories. She has such a kind soul. At this past festival she gave me an autographed photo of herself back in her modeling days. I think I'll keep in in a special place and send prayers and well wishes her way.
Teresa
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"