Author Topic: Next Festival in Tarrytown????  (Read 5665 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:Next Festival in Tarrytown????
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2003, 10:16:46 PM »
I also would like to judge the distance back & forth too.
(Cassandra, you live pretty close to Tarrytown, dont you?)   How far is it fromwhere you are?

Hi Debra,[wavey]  Welcome back!

Yeah, I only live about 12 minutes away from the villiage of Tarrytown so this is great news for me!

I imagine as Nancy has stated, that they've had a much larger turn out here on the East coast and this is most likely one of the reasons why they are choosing to hold the fest here.   I wonder though why this is so?  Is it because more DS fans live over here on the East coast rather than the West?   I've never been to a fest on the west coast but have heard from others that the gathering is no where nearly as large as here on the east.

Deb, Here is a link about the historical villiage of Tarrytown if you want to check it out.  They have some interesting things there to look up and visit.

http://www.ohwy.com/ny/t/tarrytow.htm

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2003, 02:32:08 PM »
thanks for the link Cass i'll check it out later as i'm going to the Red sox
game today. First time for my now 6 year old son so should be fun[hello]
Does anyone know plans for Halloween in Tarrytown for DS event?

thanks
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2003, 04:34:03 PM »
I can't complain about Tarrytown as it means there's a much greater chance I can attend. It's doable by car, as I've done numerous times in the past. But I sure understand the frustration of people living on the wrong ... er ... western side of the country.

I gather that Ed Lambese's usual Halloween event in Tarrytown isn't happening this year, since there appears to have been no working updates to the Web site, at least that I can find.

--Mark

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2003, 05:05:39 PM »
I gather that Ed Lambese's usual Halloween event in Tarrytown isn't happening this year, since there appears to have been no working updates to the Web site, at least that I can find.

Hi ya Marcus  ;D

Actually, Ed has updated his website. I'm paraphrasing here, but it says something to the effect that he is taking a year off from hosting the parties,and plans on going to Romania with Diana Millay and her group in late Oct. early Nov. , but that the parties will continue. He goes on to list next years party dates as Oct. 22nd thru 24th at the Tarrytown Hilton.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2003, 05:49:46 PM »
I imagine as Nancy has stated, that they've had a much larger turn out here on the East coast and this is most likely one of the reasons why they are choosing to hold the fest here.   I wonder though why this is so?  Is it because more DS fans live over here on the East coast rather than the West?   I've never been to a fest on the west coast but have heard from others that the gathering is no where nearly as large as here on the east.

I would guess that there are a lot more people with easy (and affordable) access to an East coast (NY tri-state area) Fest, as opposed to an L.A. area Fest where the population is less concentrated and anyone out of immediate area would have to spend an arm and a leg to get there.

I wonder if the Anaheim and Vegas Fests were more heavily attended than other west coast Fests because of their closeness to DisneyLand and lure of of Vegas itself?

I am hoping that with the Fest taking on "smaller" events that we will get one in San Francisco sometime. I think a lot of people would attend because of the appeal of the city as a hot tourist destination. That would be nice.

I think shorter events in places people want to visit would be a good way to go.

dom

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2003, 06:22:22 PM »
I would LOVE to come to San Francisco.......

Can one still get there from New York, by train?  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2003, 09:25:28 PM »
Can one still get there from New York, by train?  ;)

LOL,  You took the words right out of my mouth.

I will not fly anywhere!  Did it one time and had a bad experience, never again![6184]

It took me 18 hours by train to get from New York to visit my sister in Georgia.  California, Im sure would take a good three or four days.  Oh, and there's always the Greyhound bus.  ;)  [sleep]

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2003, 09:44:51 PM »
There's a magnificent train trip through the Canadian Rockies I've always wanted to take.....but I don't see that getting me to a DS Fest....do you? [lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2003, 10:03:55 PM »
I know this is far in advance, but for those of us on the West Coast that prefer to fly nonstop if at all possible (read: spoiled), would it be too far out of the way for a Tarrytown gathering to fly into Hartford, CT-- I think the airport is called Bradley Int'l-- instead of Stewart? (:::she asked hopefully:::)

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2003, 10:46:28 PM »
I know this is far in advance, but for those of us on the West Coast that prefer to fly nonstop if at all possible (read: spoiled), would it be too far out of the way for a Tarrytown gathering to fly into Hartford, CT-- I think the airport is called Bradley Int'l-- instead of Stewart? (:::she asked hopefully:::)

Hartford is a little over 100 miles from Tarrytown. It would probably make more sense to fly in to Newark, as it is only 40 miles from Tarrytown and most major airlines fly direct in to Newark from LAX. Using American Airlines website, as of today, punching in dates of leaving LAX on June 24th and returning on June 28th 2004 a RT flight would cost $339.00. I put these dates in assuming Jim might try and host the event in conjunction with the ann. of Dark Shadows first airing.June 27th, 1966, as he has be known to do in the past.

Ideally, if you can get a decent airfare in to White Plaines, HPN is the place to fly in to. It is only 8 miles or so from  T-Town. ;) American offers directs from here in Chicago to White Plaines (HPN), but I didn't see any directs from LAX on their site to either White Plaines or Hartford. I did notice it was also quite pricey to fly RT into White Plaines(HPN) or Hartford from LAX. Around $450.00!! and this wasn't even direct,requiring layovers in Chicago :(

Another option for the West Coasters is to fly in to one of the two other New York airports (LaGuardia or Kennedy) and take a shuttle to Tarrytown. ProfStokes did this on her recent trip from the Left Coast. She could probably offer up some words of wisdom. But I think of the three NYC Metro airports, Newark is probably the most economical if your ultimate destination is Tarrytown.  :)   Bob
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2003, 10:57:06 PM »
Each time I have gone to Tarrytown by air I have flown into White Plains and had to lay over at Logan.  Driving would not be all that unreasonable for me, but the carpal's has put an end to long drives for me.

Ground transport from HPN to to Tarrytown is not unreasonable - last time for me it was 35 bucks.

The convenience is the thing - easy ground, small airport to manuever.  Car rental if you go that route (which I have done with a group of friends) is also a snap, and I will drive in Tarrytown, something I refuse to do in LA.  Bawkbawkbawkbawkbawk.  Yeah, I'm chicken.

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2003, 12:33:30 AM »
....... and I will drive in Tarrytown, something I refuse to do in LA.

You can  drive in Tarrytown with no problem at all.....but PARKING in Tarrytown is another thing altogether.....damn near impossible on weekends and evenings.  This is an 18th century Hudson River town.....they didn't plan for cars when the village was built.  Be prepared to leave the cars at the hotel.
Dylan Thomas

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2003, 01:01:46 AM »
I usually fly into White Plains when I attend an event in Tarrytown. When I stayed at the Hilton it cost about $40 including tip to have a private car take me to the hotel.
I'm not sure how many rooms that Hilton has but I would think it is close to the same size as the Marriott in Brooklyn. Anyone know? Anyway, that hotel is great for Lyndhurst as you can walk and don't have to worry about parking.
I am excited they are having the fest in Tarrytown. I love that area and the first time I saw Lyndhurst I fell in love with it. There is some kind of aura about that place and it makes me feel peaceful.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2003, 02:02:02 AM »
Wow, thanks, all!

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2003, 02:24:45 AM »
Another option for the West Coasters is to fly in to one of the two other New York airports (LaGuardia or Kennedy) and take a shuttle to Tarrytown. ProfStokes did this on her recent trip from the Left Coast. She could probably offer up some words of wisdom. But I think of the three NYC Metro airports, Newark is probably the most economical if your ultimate destination is Tarrytown.  :)   Bob

If by some miracle, your suggested dates would work then I could go.  So, I'd fly out of Long Beach airport on JetBlue and arrive in JFK.  Then, I rent a car and hot rod a group to Tarrytown.  That could also be a shared arrangement as well as long as there was room in the car!  But, I suppose we could hang a few from the roof hee hee!

I love to drive.  As long as I have reasonable directions, I can find my way fairly easily.  I'm also real good with navigating one way streets.