Author Topic: The Official List of Annoying Anachronisms  (Read 7824 times)

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
Re: The Official List of Annoying Anachronisms
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2002, 08:13:26 PM »
The thing that bothers me the most is that no one is surprised I have children that age. sob....

Somedays I feel younger than my oldest.
Somedays I feel older than my mother
Most days I seem to think I am 11 again and addicted to a certain show that came on at 4;00 p.m. in the afternoon,  One I ran home to watch.

Birdie--who is a little freaked out when woman look at my son and I see them appreciating a good thing.

Raineypack, I also have a 13 year old who is going to put me over the edge and an 11 year old.  What the h*** were we thinking.  Oh ya, it must have been the bunnies
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2002, 09:19:25 PM »
Oh, I'm right behind you Birdie.....my daughter is 15 going on 25...and people wonder why my husband I were both completely grey by the time we were 40!!

Most of my friends that are my age have grandkids already while I have a daughter that is 19 and in college and after what happened over St. Pat's weekend, I'm glad that I color my hair! I'm sure I'm whiter than any mop top 18th century wig.

Carol
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2002, 09:33:23 PM »
And here I am, thinking it will easier when my daughter takes herself off to college....you know, out of sight, out of mind?  I must BE out of my mind if I think it will be easier when I don't have a clue where she is and what she's doing.

I gave up coloring my hair when I got pregnant and never went back.  Now Hubby and I have a perfectly matched set of white clouds up there.  As he says, "I don't give a **** what color it is, so long as it stays up there!!

Maybe I should have posted this under "Hairlarious"!
Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2002, 01:02:53 AM »
We really did get off topic.  Apologies to all.  One last thing, most of my friends have much yonger children.  No one yet has become a Gram.  Thank goodness it looks like it will be awhile for me.  My daughter is looking into living in Boston this summber.  It is killing me to keep my mouth shut.  

Back to the subject on hand...
The petofi box that shows up in just about every room.
Sort of like the tissue box on the back of the couch that seems to be in every family photo we have.

Birdie--got to pack, I am off to Me. for the weekend with the "girls".    
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2002, 03:09:32 AM »
A certain afghan

LOL! That thing travels through time more than Barnabas and Vicki put together!

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2002, 03:12:42 AM »
Back to the subject on hand...
The petofi box that shows up in just about every room.
Sort of like the tissue box on the back of the couch that seems to be in every family photo we have.

LOL! I was laughing when it was on the shelf behind Barnabas' head. I was thinking they should just use Count Petofi's hand to cure Barnabas!! No wonder Petofi was so tee'd off at the Collins family - they've had his hand since 1795!
 :D

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2002, 03:17:20 AM »
I guess I'm not good enough to spot some of these anachronisms. I thought the genuine antique guns were a nice touch, though. Couldn't tell you whether or not they are authentic to this time period.

So they didn't have that kind of luggage in the 1790's? Not even really really rich families? :o

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2002, 11:10:56 PM »
No, Chris_2....not even very wealthy families who traveled extensively would have had suitcases like those...because they would have had to travel into the FUTURE to find them!

Hmmmm, are we sure Vicky wasn't holding that suitcase when the "switch" took place?

There's at least one member on this board who actually studied Fashion and Costume History....I'm going to have to nag her into commenting.
Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2002, 03:11:17 AM »
I think some of the color combinations such as the chartruese door and the pinkish walls, must have had a paint sale  on odd colors of paint.  Let's just put it in the upstairs hallway where not one will see it but us.

I have a grandson who will be 22 in April.  I have two daughters and a son.  My baby is 28.  The oldest daughter is 41.

Just thought I'd throw that in with the above discussion.  You never get done being a parent.
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2002, 03:58:26 AM »
     :o  Oh my god Cocoa....NOW you tell me!!  :o LOL

Raineypark
Dylan Thomas

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2002, 12:25:03 PM »
How about that chair that sits against the secret panel door in the drawing room at Collinwood? Even after 200 years they still have it sitting there as I remember from the last storyline.    Also that large dresser in Josette's new room over at Collinwood looks alot like the same one that Julia used to hide her diary from Barnabas in the last storyline. Another thing to mention is how everyone is always out visiting the grave yard during all hours of the night. It almost seems unheard of to go visit someone's grave during the day. :o
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2002, 12:35:16 PM »
Oh and another thing I forgot to mention is that chair that Barnabas had in his room at the old house, it's the same chair he uses in the modern day storyline in the drawing room of the old house. Can you imagine a piece of furniture lasting that long? With two teenagers and three cats Im lucky if mine lasts a year! :o
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2002, 04:12:21 PM »
My 18-year-old son first goes out at 10 PM, and often doesn't come home until one, two or three AM!  I keep telling him he's becoming a vampire, and he calls out, "BARNABAS!", which is his way of teasing me about my DS obsession.  

Blasted kid!  I'm always up worrying about him, and it pisses me off!

As for annoying anachronisms, I know there are many and it's kind of fun to find them.  DS wasn't especially detail oriented, and I'm sure very little historical research was done to ensure accuracy.  Nevertheless, producing such a show every day must have been damn near impossible in the first place, and I give kudos to the cast and crew and even Dan Curtis for producing something awe-inspiring 5 days a week for nearly 5 years.

Love, Robin  

Offline abbeymarch

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2002, 11:27:26 PM »
The furniture moving around from place to place, century to century, doesn't bother me. If that didn't happen, where would all the antiques we buy come from :)? Family heirlooms often stay in the place people remember them always being when they were growing up.
The pieces lasted because children weren't ALLOWED in the rooms where the really good stuff was kept. They didn't play in their rooms. If the family had any money there was a nursery, which was where all facets of a child's life took place, not just sleeping, until they were old enough to go to away to school, or for girls, get married.
If they didn't have money, they played in the street until they had to go to work.
As for the suitcases, I guess Orbach's wasn't stocking carpet bags or leather satchels at the time.
Think of a Dr.'s bag. That's what everyone who had to carry something used. The Dr.'s bag is a hold-over. Some were bigger or deeper, but essentially, that was it.
Unless you were going on a long journey, or had something very large, heavy, or valueable. Then you'd use a trunk.
Enough with the history lesson.
I do want to point out though ::), that Caroline's (I can't remember what her name was in this time period ?!?) hairdo is DEFINITELY a mid-twentieth interpretation of a mid-nineteenth century hairdo. It should have been pulled up with height in the straight part & the banana curls should have come from the nape.
OK! That's it! I promise!! ;D
abbeymarch

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2002, 03:16:13 AM »
Is that the same carpet on the stairs of the new house in 1795 and in 1968?  The workmanship must be astounding.  Carpet that last 200 years, gad.  :o

Cocoa

There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.