Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0541  (Read 1015 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0541
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:34:02 AM »
Robservations #541

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0541

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 05:00:46 AM »
I don't understand why Cass has a eureka moment re: Adam & Barn. How could that mean anything to her? I must be forgetting something.

Cass tells Nicholas the good news. The seed's been planted. Nicholas' plan will evolve from this moment. Adam must be found and Nick starts with Maggie because Joe was the last to see him. He talks his way into Maggie's good graces with condolences, flattery and 2000 bucks for an Evans original. Maggie spills on Stokes hiding Adam giving him his next big lead.

David wants the recorder. Cass gets frantic and refuses him and David senses Cass knows the meaning of Lang's message. He also notices her hand is good as new - that David doesn't miss a trick. After being sent to bed he sneaks out of the house to the Old House and tells Julia what Lang's message was, but he can't remember it verbatim. So he and Julia decide to go to Collinwood to give it a listen.

Nick dresses down Cass for blundering regarding Stokes figuring out she is a witch, etc. Davy & Jules find a new tape in the machine. Julia discovers Cass knows Lang's message and feels helpless.

Not a bad episode. Some good stuff's goin' down. The acting and writing are sufficient. No one looked particularly bad. I think it's probably a little more exciting of an episode for those who know what's coming down the pike as plot lines are being hatched, etc.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 10:17:13 AM »
It seemed clear to me that Nick and Cass had no time (before Julia walked into the DR) to do anything but point a magical finger at the tape recorder and put new content onto the existing tape.  [spoiler](Much like Laura did earlier.)[/spoiler]  I assume Nick has a photographic memory and doesn't need Lang's message anymore.   When everyone assumes something that doesn't make sense to me, such as Barnabas and Julia assuming a tape switch with the original being mundanely hidden somewhere, I figure that this is what is really happening in the plot.   I find this sort of thing frustrating.   These characters have no good reason for the opinion, it's just that they're reading the writers' minds.........

Cass did seem to understand more than she should have, from the tape.   She would have heard the name Adam, she knew about Barnabas and Lang from the start, and really, she should have used her powers to spy on the whole thing and discover it all by now, but she didn't.   Nick figured out what "my creation" must mean; I think she needs Nick to fill in some of the gaps for her, and vice versa.   

My only note on this ep was about how in the redo, David doesn't take the recorder upstairs with him...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 05:44:20 PM »
Nicholas fools absolutely no one when he tells Cassangelique, "I must pay a visit to Miss Evans--purely to gain information, of course." Oh yeah.

Farewell, skeleton hand!

Acting the perfect gentleman, Nicholas asks about Joe, and Maggie tells him, The doctors say that Joe will make a full recovery, but he’ll have to be in the hospital for a long time. [In fact, he’ll be away from the show for three weeks.] That’s good news, says Nicholas with smiling ambiguity, and Maggie naively agrees. He asks to see her father’s work, and naturally Maggie is proud to show it off. (One of the paintings he examines is Sam’s portrait of Vicki’s look-alike, Betty Hanscomb. Even though Sam gave the painting to Vicki back in pre-Barnabas times, somehow it returned to the cottage a few episodes ago.)

Nicholas admires one particular painting (we don’t see it) and offers her $2,000 for it. Surprised, Maggie replies, That’s very generous of you. Pop could never get that kind of money for his work while he was alive, she says sadly. I could use the money now. Strangely, Maggie's candor and innocence make her even more attractive to Nicholas than did his first impression of her outward beauty. He persuades her to consider his offer, sweetening it by adding, I’ll even let you to keep the painting on permanent loan if you’ll sell it to me. He asks about Adam (the manifest reason for his visit), but Maggie says no one has seen him recently, and she has no idea of his whereabouts. They agree that someone must be hiding him. Nicholas persuades Maggie to call him Nicholas, so she says to call her Maggie. After he leaves, they separately reflect on their meeting with pleasure.

Julia presses David to try to remember, but because he didn't understand it, all he remembers is "if Adam lives, Barnabas something; if Adam dies, Barnabas something else." Now frantic to hear Eric's message and knowing that she herself foolishly let it fall into Cassandra's hands, Julia rushes back to Collinwood with David.

Just then Julia and David return. Cassandra tries to play stepmother and pack him off to bed. I’m not a baby, David retorts. I can stay up till whenever I want. Cassandra suddenly tires of arguing with him and decides to go out for some air. Nicholas agrees to accompany her, evidently unconcerned about the tape recorder, which is sitting innocently on the piano in the drawing room. Now Nicholas’s lack of concern alone should have warned our intrepid heroes that something was up, but the idea never occurs to them till they play the tape--and out come the strains of the "Dies irae" ("Day of Wrath," i.e., Judgment Day) from the finale of Hector Berlioz's Symphonie fantastique! This isn't the music I heard! It must be another tape! David exclaims. Knowing full well that only one tape is involved, Julia asks him who else has listened to the tape. Finally David tells Julia that the only other person he knows of who heard the tape was Cassandra. He says apologetically, I wish could remember what the man was saying on the other tape, but it didn't make any sense. I don't understand why everyone is so excited about what that man said. I hope someone will explain it to me. Maybe Cassandra left the other tape in my room, he sighs, then trudges disconsolately off to bed. Meanwhile, Julia realizes with horror that Cassandra now knows all about the experiment and about Adam and that she has the power to destroy Barnabas--but Julia has no way of stopping her....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 06:21:44 PM »
Farewell, skeleton hand!

Chuckle........ She bore up under the pain like a trouper, didn't she?

Thanks for identifying the music, DL.   I'm impressed with your musical knowledge.   David has as much trouble remembering Lang's message, as if Julia had told him to remember to forget and always forget to remember, or whatever she said back then.   In earlier viewings, I didn't suspect [spoiler]Nick was interested in Maggie, because why would he be?   Pure soap opera, shoe-horned in, not worthy of DS...[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 07:05:09 PM »
and out come the strains of the "Dies irae" ("Day of Wrath," i.e., Judgment Day) from the finale of Hector Berlioz's Symphonie fantastique!

Sky Rumson's choice for frightening Carolyn at his home on Little Windward.  (Sky's favorite parts are probably the woodwinds. <groan!>)

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 07:40:04 PM »
Thanks, MT! *blush*  And LOL/groan, Midnite!

Funny, I knew from my first viewing that [spoiler]Nicholas was interested in Maggie, and I looked forward to seeing that particular thread progress. I guess the writers were telling us that even the devil has weaknesses.
[/spoiler]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 02:29:04 AM »
In regards to Betty showing up at Sam's again one of my Grandmothers many talents was painting and she used to make practice copies to try out different colors or techniques, and if someone wanted a painting she didn't want to part with, she would paint a duplicate. Anyway that's how I choose to explain the return of Betty.
Cassandra tells her brother that she can make the curse succeed, but he has moved on to more interesting plans and people.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 02:28:01 PM »
Cool grandmother, alwaysdavid! And a good thought too.