Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0521  (Read 1072 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0521
« on: August 14, 2013, 05:12:09 PM »
Robservations #521

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0521

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 06:33:49 PM »
Is it out yet, that Julia and Stokes used Barnabas's basement to summon Trask, without his knowledge or consent?   ***   I think Stokes's only real affection is for Adam.   I think Elliot is so alienated from humanity that Adam's status as an innocent outsider to society makes him the only person in town whom he can really value and stand to be around.   I'm picking this up for the first time, with this viewing.   Stokes isn't angry at society, he's just utterly disappointed in it.   The fact that he helps people comes out of his early idealism that he can't let go of in the abstract (while disdaining people in actual practice), plus it provides the only kind of worthwhile entertainment for him, the supernatural kind.  Note that he'll help people who actually irritate him...    These are my impressions, anyway.

What made Ang young again after Sam's aging of her?  I forget.  ***   Stokes's teaching of Adam is a nice parallel and payback for Barnabas's teaching of his ancestor.

BLAIR!   You must be Cassandra's husband... nice one!   He is, except for that till-death-do-us-part technicality...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 07:30:30 PM »
Welcome, welcome, welcome Humbert Allen Astredo! Costume put some real thought into Nicholas's wardrobe, and it shows.

Roger and Barnabas wait anxiously for Julia to finish treating Elizabeth. Roger says that "some poor devil" once was locked in the tower room. The "poor devil" in question turns away and does not enlighten his cousin. They exchange some interesting comments about Cassandra--all of Barn's have double meanings.

It's interesting how Julia and Barnabas have come to rely on Stokes as an authority. Arrowhead Road (given as his address in a previous ep.) has unaccountably moved to Rockport, but it's still a local number. [Four episodes ago Maggie called Stokes by asking the operator for Collinsport 752, but in this episode, on Julia's advice Barnabas dials 6868 to reach Stokes.] When Julia and Barnabas arrive at his door, we see that his house number is--of course--13.

In a lovely scene, Stokes pays it forward by teaching Adam to read, just as Barnabas taught Ben long ago.

MT, I like your thoughtful comments about Stokes. I suspect that when he was young, he had big plans to change the world. But as with most of us, time and disillusionment have narrowed his ambitions so that all he's doing now is teaching at a local college. I think that he's just trying to save the world one person at a time, and that's why he's so heavily invested in teaching Adam.

Stokes advises Barn and Julia to find Angelique's portrait. While Barnabas is upstairs at Collinwood, Julia distracts Roger. Roger comments, You can't imagine how active Cassandra can be! Julia answers dryly, Yes, I think I can. When Barn returns empty-handed, Roger produces the portrait and says he found it in an empty closet.

On seeing Barnabas, Nicholas announces confidently, Mr. Collins! I should have recognized you anywhere! You must be Cassandra's husband! Barnabas can only reply, Cassandra--no. (Well, it IS no more than the truth.)

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 07:34:33 PM »
P.S. Almost forgot a note on the cheese front: When Barnabas and Julia arrive, Stokes (who has removed the flash cards and other learning paraphernalia) offers his guests sherry and cheese. They take just the sherry. Alas, no one ever wants the professor’s cheese!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 11:29:09 PM »
Stupid opening. The focus on Barn's portrait, Barn's slips of the tongue and Frid exaggerating his oops response. Sloppy/boring writing. I do like that Roger is concerned for Liz and determined to asess the situation himself and is taking charge. You go Roger. Barn's still in his brown suit and Roger in his 'tight' outfit. The Barn, Jules, Stokes trio is taking shape.

I wonder if we are to assume that time has passed (though I don't see as how it has plot-wise) but Adam has learned a lot in the span of a few hours. I'm sure I missed something somewhere along the line.

The only part of this episode I totally liked was the finale, Blair and the three reactions to his pronouncement. Fantastic TV. And just when they think they're out of the woods. I hope the 1795 BS is done with.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 11:39:04 PM »
At this stage of the game it is only fair to assume Barn was the poor devil, but having seen the whole series one might fairly assume that it was Jenny.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 12:00:03 AM »
Maybe, but I suspect that at this point Jenny wasn't even a gleam in the writers' eyes--or DC's for that matter.

I think it's been a few days since Stokes befriended Adam, but I don't know for sure.

Nobody is troubled about the dream curse. I suppose the fact that nobody is having the dream is the real sign that Cassangelique is gone.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 05:56:59 PM »
Nobody is troubled about the dream curse. I suppose the fact that nobody is having the dream is the real sign that Cassangelique is gone.
Since Cassandra's spells seem to transcend death as did Angelique's, I doubt it, but hopefully wish for that outcome.
The poison is deadly nightshade and that Elizabeth is mentally ill and should stay at Windcliff a place where Maggie ran from and Willie has no wish to return.
Stokes door has number 13 on it.
The two Collins husbands of Angelique has a air of My Favorrite Wife about it. In a supernatural way of course.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 09:19:51 AM »
I wonder if Stokes chose an address of 13 so that the supernatural would be drawn to him, instead of his having to search it out himself all the time, without regard for the danger or bad luck.  It sounds like him to me.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
You could be right, MT, considering the fun that Stokes had with the dream curse!