Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0515  (Read 1182 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0515
« on: August 06, 2013, 04:50:13 PM »
Robservations #515

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0515

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 05:05:57 PM »
Maggie to Sam re Adam:  "You don't know what you're doing!!!"   ... as little Maggie tries to stab Adam with her little knife, clumsily.   She must have been talking to herself....

Welcome back, Ghost of Josette.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 10:19:21 PM »
Maggie is distraught that her father is in a coma, but that doesn't keep her from noticing the same things that Elizabeth did: 1) that Willie knows Adam's name; and (2) that Adam certainly recognized Willie. Willie quickly improvises a story similar to the one he told Elizabeth: Adam is a vagrant who came around to the Old House a few times; Willie gave him food a few times and then decided not to give him any more, whereupon Adam got angry with him. Fortunately for Willie, Barnabas's name never came up in the recent altercation. However, Maggie isn't satisfied by these answers any more than Elizabeth was and expects better ones tomorrow.

Julia finally gets to see the ghost of Josette--but will Julia and Willie be in time to save Barnabas?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 03:07:37 AM »
I've read in at least one source that the sobbing of Josette's ghost was done by Lela Swift (the director).  Always wondered whether that was true.

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 03:36:31 AM »
Seems strange that I think I know this, but it sounded just like KLS to me.   I thought that a split second before remembering Josette's supposed to sound like KLS...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 03:53:24 PM »
According to my long-ago notes, in this ep., the sobbing ghost--whom Julia both sees and hears--is played by Natalie Norwich, who played Josette's ghost once before, I think.

I don't think it will be a spoiler if I say here that in ep. 516, Josette's ghost is played by Florence Stanley. Julia hears Josette but doesn't see her in this reshoot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 04:11:25 PM »
Thanks DL!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 06:57:49 PM »
According to my long-ago notes, in this ep., the sobbing ghost--whom Julia both sees and hears--is played by Natalie Norwich, who played Josette's ghost once before, I think.

The ghost you see is Norwick, but the sobs were made by Florence Stanley.  Norwick will show up as Josette's ghost again, but her first appearance was in Trask's recent mock trial; I think she was Ruby Tate's ghost.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 10:17:14 PM »
Wow, I thought I knew a lot about DS, but you guys have me beat!

I never even heard of Natalie Norwich/k.  I do vaguely recall having heard of Florence Stanley...

G.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 10:35:22 PM »
Wow, Midnite, you are awesome!

I'm surprised that DC sprang for having not one but two actresses play the ghost of Josette, but maybe it was less expensive that way.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 03:03:55 AM »
DarkLady, I'm sure that extras with less than 2 lines got paid really cheaply.  I'm amazed that we are able to recover the information about such personnel this far away from the events, but Jim Pierson may have been able to find the information in DCP's production files from the series (wonder what ever happened to those--I know some odds and ends were sold at a Festival auction several years ago).

I've always wondered just how often KLS played the ghost of Josette.  In one of the Laura episodes from early 1967 where the ghost visits Laura in the cottage while David is sleeping, it really doesn't look like KLS.  That is one of the clearest looks we get at the ghost.

G.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 02:07:16 AM »
Hall's OVO was good. I like KLS's beating on Adam to get him off of Willie - it made me laugh out loud. The scene is a little over the top for my taste and mostly because of Karlen but I've got to give him credit for going for the gusto. Ford was awful. Though what could one do with those asinine lines. Another great moment for me is when Mag's hits Adam with the hammer, lol. She actually hits him which I would think is not supposed to happen. I'm glad the scene ended when it did because KLS was beginning to lose her edge. A self-evaluating Adam is an interesting touch though perhaps misplaced, but the actor was there so why not I guess. Poor little Maggie Evans - Pop is dying - No one at home to protect her anymore from the big bad bogeymen. I guess there was no need for Joe to move in because of the forthcoming storyline, but I wonder if it would have been considered at some point. Probably not - at least not without a wedding.

I thought KLS did extremely well in the cottage scene with Karlen after returning from the hospital. Karlen was very good.

Thank goodness for Julia Hoffman - Solves dilemmas with her brain - All she needs are a few clues. Thank goodness Willie came back home, otherwise Barn would be dead. My favorite scene is the one with Julia & Willie in the Old House drawing room when they are discussing what to do about Adam, and to a lesser extent the basement scene. Karlen takes the scene in my opinion as Hall seems somewhat hesitant in her approach.

The cues were lacking, especially in Hall's scene with the ghost of the sobbing Josette. Hall can be seen waiting/looking for cues and the special effect was misplaced in the scene and did not match Hall's reactions. Even the sobbing sound effect was misplaced once or twice. Bad work all round. Rodan was fine. I would have been surprised that Adam attacked Sam back in the day. For some odd reason I am always expecting Adam to improve with time.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 03:57:16 AM »
The opening scene seemed to reenacted much differently than the prior day.  Sam comes in and his dear freind smashes in his face. Sam is in a coma we are told.  Wasn't it well established that it was Adam who kidnapped Carolyn and went off the cliff and they act as if he is an unkown entity.
Willie says Adam must die taking the usual Barnabas approach to problems and Julia his good doctor agrees.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times