Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0509  (Read 1069 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0509
« on: July 27, 2013, 03:52:06 PM »
Robservations #509

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0509

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 09:31:40 PM »
No pink waves today.

A frustrated Sam coaxes Adam out of his shell. I guess a blind man would have no choice but to try and difuse a possibly dangerous situation.

Adam's vocabulary has improved since last seen.

Stokes visits Sam and Adam flees. Stokes fills Sam in about who Adam really is. He also warns Sam of the dream and asks he notify him immediately should he have it. Sam cares more about Adam than Stokes warning. Thayer's 'loudness' is starting to grate on my nerves.

Cass & Tony: I enjoyed this scene because of Parker's casual & calm approach to it. The character Tony Peterson seems to me to be more and more out of place. I am already thinking to myself - "I know this character doesn't stick around forever, I'm ready for him to go." I would think Tony would look foolish/obvious/suspicious wearing that ring.

Vicki & Stokes: Interesting scene though I'm not sure exactly why. It's nice to see Vicki, and with her hair up. Interesting conversation between the two; Stokes collecting info and allies against Cass/Ange. I guess he is developing a plan. I like both of their performances in this scene. Stokes is a bit more subdued.

I don't know why Stokes would have Vicki leave out the back door not knowing who Tony really is? Tony hid the ring in his pocket. Is this Stokes first mention of cheese? I thought that was a joke thrust upon the character by 'us'. I laughed to myself when Tony died. So timely per my thoughts earlier.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 10:42:36 PM »
I'm always a little startled when the black and white episodes pop up, especially now that we're firmly entrenched in the late 1960s, with all of its lime greens and purples and yellows.  It lends an episode like this, especially with Cassandra's machinations, a more subdued, gothic flavor. 

And again, I'm struck at the swiftness with which Angelique adjusted to the twentieth century.  Later, it is suggested that she visited Barnabas' coffin every year after he was interned (Anna Shock wrote an interesting fan fic addressing this point, suggesting along the lines that Angelique guided Willie Loomis toward Barnabas' tomb); at this point, however, I'm fairly certain Our Favorite Witch had been marinating in hell after the 1795 storyline concluded.  That, or she jumped directly from 1796 to 1968, maybe with the help of Nicholas Blair.  Based on storyline developments a little ways down the road, I would say this is certainly a possibility.  But now she's smoking her own cigarettes, something not really possible for a lady's maid in the late eighteenth century.   Way to adjust, Cassangelique!  [ghost_cheesy]
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 12:52:55 AM »
Adam is won over by Sam's simple kindness. Sam is almost the only person who seems genuinely concerned for him as a human being.

Yes, I think this is the first mention of Stokes's fondness for cheese. But like everyone else on the show, he never eats.

I wonder if Mrs. Bland (whom Tony says recommended Stokes as an antiques expert) is a many-times-great-grand-daughter-in-law of the Rev. Bland who married Barnabas and Angelique so long ago.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 08:29:18 PM »
Is this Stokes first mention of cheese?

I believe it is, though it isn't the last time Stokes will refer to what is clearly one of his favorite delights.  [ghost_grin]  Though in future references he won't go on quite so rhapsodically about it.

I thought that was a joke thrust upon the character by 'us'.

Definitely not - it certainly all stems from this ep. And to think that if it wasn't for the Sci-Fi Channel showings and then the subsequent releases of the entire show on VHS/DVD, we might have never been reacquainted with Stokes' deep love of cheese because this ep was never shown as part of Worldvision's 2nd year syndication package. Along with 5 other eps (spread out over the 2nd and 3rd years of syndication), it was completely skipped over by Worldvision - even though they were in possession of either the master tapes or the kinescopes of the eps. Who knows why they never included them? But then, despite repeated pleas from fandom to rearrange things, Worldvision originally included Ep #771 between Eps #511 & #512.  [ghost_rolleyes]  So...

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 04:18:42 PM »
How could there be a daguerreotype of Trask since he died 2 decades before they came to being?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 04:39:29 PM »
Nice of blind Sam to be so protective, so soon after Sam's injury, but he keeps pulling at Adam by his injured arm...   Jerry Lacy did his character's strickening well.

When I saw this one I thought, oh, so there are two Elliot cheese episodes, not just one as I'd remembered.  But if others say there wasn't an earlier ep like this, I'm probably wrong.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 04:55:36 PM »
I only remember two eps - this one and upcoming Ep #521.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 05:12:47 PM »
How could there be a daguerreotype of Trask since he died 2 decades before they came to being?

I remember it as being a silhouette, Joeytrom. Which confused me because Vicki reacts to it as if it is a daguerreotype, saying she'd thought or hoped to never see "that face again". Or something similar. I'll check to be sure.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
Yes, I also remember it as being a silhouette. But (1) who would have made one? and (2) what would it be doing at Collinwood?

Well, okay, Abigail could have made the silhouette on some random occasion when she and Trask were swapping yarns about witchhunting. But still....

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 07:14:27 PM »
It was never surprising to me Stokes had the Trask silhouette because it's been established that Stokes is a collector of objects that relate to Ben Stokes (Trask is mentioned in Ben's diary) and the possibility that witchcraft was practiced at Collinwood in 1795/96 (Trask being the witch hunter).

As for how the silhouette was made, well, that's an entirely different story. But I suppose there could be any number of explanations. And, of course, Stokes could have come across it in any number of ways - including, perhaps, even while on a trip to Salem to research Trask.  [ghost_wink]  Though for the purposes of the storyline, regardless of how it was made or how Stokes acquired it, the thing that's most important is that Stokes is currently in possession of it.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 11:58:22 PM »
Thanks, MB--as usual, you are the source of infinite knowledge.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 01:57:16 AM »
Adam drops the knife. Sam reminds me of Mr. Magoo. Pr. shows up after Adam runs off and now wants to talk to Sam and tell him if he has the dream to call.  Cassandra says that Tony is quite the Puritan in an inside joke. Pr. wants to know about Vickie's trip to the past and she agrees to spill and be a spy. Tony drinks the sherry and collapses.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times