Author Topic: "That 'place' in Brazil...?"  (Read 968 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
"That 'place' in Brazil...?"
« on: February 06, 2002, 08:28:01 PM »
Originally posted by Bob the Bartender on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 06, 2002 at 14:28:01:

Dear Fellow DS Fans,

Thank the good Lord that Mrs. Stoddard remembered the name of that "place" in Brazil at the last second, specifically Belem. Otherwise, I suspect that Dan Curtis would have had an apoplectic fit up there in the control room!

I suppose it's also fortuitous that Gordon Russell, the writer of today's first episode, did not have Burke's plane crash somewhere outside that "place" in Kazakhstan (formerly part of the USSR). Somehow, I don't think that Mrs. Stoddard would have remembered the name of that Asian city, Alma-Ata, at the last second. Mrs. S. would probably still be on the phone!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: "That 'place' in Brazil...?"
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2002, 09:12:20 PM »
Originally posted by Gerard on February 06, 2002 at 15:12:20:

I actually thought that that was one of the most "natural" bloopers ever on the show. It actually did fit! I can easily see somebody, including Liz, getting all flustered because of the seriousness of the situation. If it wasn't a blooper, then somebody did some real fine writin', and Joan Bennet did some real fine actin'.

Gerard

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2002, 01:38:19 AM »
Originally posted by Ben on February 06, 2002 at 19:38:19:
In Reply to: Re: "That 'place' in Brazil...?" posted by Gerard on February 06, 2002 at 15:12:20:

Well, Gerard, I had assumed this was a blooper until reading your take on the situation. I still tend to think it was a blooper, but yes, it was one of Miss Bennett's most natural. Usually, she gets visibly frustrated when she blows a line. Today, she retained her grace and charm even while she stood there, stammering and stamping her foot. And when she finally remembered "Belom," I think she was ecstatic that she actually delivered herself from that perilous blank-out!

Another one of my all-time fave DS moments.

Ben

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2002, 02:00:29 AM »
Originally posted by Bob the Bartender on February 06, 2002 at 20:00:29:

Ben and Gerard,

Your points are, indeed, right on. Ms. Bennett displayed great sangfroid when she momentarily forgot the name of that Brazilian city. The grande dame of Collinwood hit a home run with her nifty comeback.

Nevertheless, I'm thankful that writer Gordon Russell did NOT have Burke's plane crash in that lake bordering between Peru and Bolivia, the one and only Lake Ti*icaca. I mean, Belem was difficult enough to remember. Incidentally, this famous lake was a South American body of water that Sister Imelda neglected to cover in geography class way back in grade school. After all these years, I wonder why?

Bob the Bartender, a lake nut

PS Do you think that Barnabas would have remembered that the correct city was Belem?

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2002, 08:12:20 AM »
Originally posted by Gerard on February 07, 2002 at 02:12:20:

Bob the Bartender's
Nevertheless, I'm thankful that writer Gordon Russell did NOT have Burke's plane crash in that lake bordering between Peru and Bolivia, the one and only Lake Ti*icaca. I mean, Belem was difficult enough to remember. Incidentally, this famous lake was a South American body of water that Sister Imelda neglected to cover in geography class way back in grade school. After all these years, I wonder why?

Really, Bob? Sister (or "Stir") Mary Jemma covered it in our class. But then, our good "stirs" weren't very worldly about things with double-meanings (even though we were, and any little thing would set us off in a fix of muted giggling). You can say she left the "ih" in Titicaca. You know, thinking about it, that body of water has a lot in its title to tickle the demented funny bone for us when we were kids. The first syllable had definite meaning, but then so did the last two taken together.

Gerard

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2002, 12:30:40 PM »
Originally posted by Ben on February 07, 2002 at 06:30:40:

Bob the Bartender's
PS Do you think that Barnabas would have remembered that the correct city was Belem?

Yes, although if it were he and Liz standing by the phone, I could hear him saying, "You must mean Belem, Vicki -- er, Julia -- er, Elizabeth ..."

Ben

Offline mfmdpt

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2002, 12:19:26 AM »
 Originally posted by mfmiozza on February 07, 2002 at 18:19:26:
In Reply to: Re: "That 'place' in Brazil...?" posted by Ben on February 07, 2002 at 06:30:40:

I could hear him saying, "You must mean Belem, Vicki -- er, Julia -- er, Elizabeth ..."

ROFL!!

But as for you other two:

Incidentally, this famous lake was a South American body of water that Sister Imelda neglected to cover in geography class way back in grade school. After all these years, I wonder why?
The first syllable had definite meaning, but then so did the last two taken together.

Are you both sure you're not STILL in grade school? ;)
"I give in to sin because you have to make this life livable." - Depeche Mode (Strangelove)