Author Topic: West Virginia Folklore  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
West Virginia Folklore
« on: January 26, 2002, 12:10:19 AM »
Originally posted by Bob the Bartender on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 25, 2002 at 18:10:19:

Dear Fans,

Has anyone seen the new flick, "The Mothman Prophecies" yet? It's based on supposed true events in the town of Point Pleasant, West Virginia (NOT Point Pleasant, NJ).

The film deals with a strange creature that presages future, catastrophic events. Richard Gere and Laura Linney star in this film. I wonder if David Selby is aware of this legend in his home state? Of course, in NJ we have the mythical "Jersey Devil" and in the Pacific Northwest, there is the legendary "Big Foot."

If Dark Shadows had continued into the 1970's, perhaps Dan Curtis would have incorporated the so-called "Mothman" into Dark Shadows. After all, DC freely admits that he just about stole every other occult idea in the book.

When I attended college in the Midwest, one of my friends told me about the Benders, a family of 19th century German immigrants who murdered new settlers as they made their way through Kansas onto California.

My friend's grandmother used to say that when she was a little girl, her mother would say to her, "If you're not a good little girl, then the Benders are going to come and get you!" There was supposed to be a film made about this cult-like family starring Jacqueline Bisset among others, but the flick never was filmed.

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who says sweet dreams to all of my fellow Dark Shadows fans in the nation's heartbelt.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: West Virginia Folklore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2002, 03:52:47 AM »
Posted by Josette on January 25, 2002 at 21:52:47:
In Reply to: West Virginia Folklore posted by bob the Bartender on January 25, 2002 at 18:10:19:

They made it around here last year. Part of it was done in Kittanning, a town north of Pittsburgh, but some of it was done in Pittsburgh, including some in my part of town. On the way home from the symphony one night, there were these bright lights high up as they were filming on a street about a half mile away from me. I'm assuming they were using one of the houses there as a house someone in the movie lived in, but, of course, I have no idea. I hope I recognize it when I see it!

A week or two ago I watched the HBO Behind the Scenes preview of it and there was a fascinating part as they described the technique used to make a bridge collapse.

Josette
Josette

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2002, 10:09:43 PM »
Posted by jennifer on January 26, 2002 at 16:09:43:
In Reply to: Re: West Virginia Folklore posted by Josette on January 25, 2002 at 21:52:47:

want to see it so thanks for some background into it Bob and Josette!!
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2002, 05:19:14 AM »
Posted by Mark Rainey on January 26, 2002 at 23:19:14:
In Reply to: Re: West Virginia Folklore posted by jennifer on January 26, 2002 at 16:09:43:

:Has anyone seen the new flick, "The Mothman Prophecies" yet? It's based on supposed true events in the town of Point Pleasant, West Virginia (NOT Point Pleasant, NJ)....

I saw it last night, and overall I enjoyed it quite a bit. Nice and atmospheric, without a bunch of cheap thrills and pyrotechnic special effects. Overly ambiguous at times, and a little slow in the middle, but the climax was great. Very much like a big episode of the X-Files.

3.5 out of 5 stars, in my book.

--Mark
The Realm

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2002, 12:34:22 AM »
Posted by Bob the Bartender on January 27, 2002 at 18:34:22:
In Reply to: Re: West Virginia Folklore posted by Mark Rainey on January 26, 2002 at 23:19:14:

I saw it last night, and overall I enjoyed it quite a bit. Nice and atmospheric, without a bunch of cheap thrills and pyrotechnic special effects. Overly ambiguous at times, and a little slow in the middle, but the climax was great. Very much like a big episode of the X-Files.

: 3.5 out of 5 stars, in my book.

But Mark, as Gerard, Ringo and yours truly would like to know, is this the type of flick that you would take Katherine Leigh Scott a/k/a/ Maggie Evans to as a "first date"?

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2002, 03:15:10 AM »
Posted by Mark Rainey on January 27, 2002 at 21:15:10:
In Reply to: Re: West Virginia Folklore posted by Bob the Bartender on January 27, 2002 at 18:34:22:

This is not the type of flick I would take Ms. Scott to, for her husband Ben probably do me harm. I suspect that might hold true for most flicks.  ;)

--Mark
The Realm

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2002, 01:10:18 PM »
Posted by Bob the Bartender on January 28, 2002 at 07:10:18:
In Reply to: Re: West Virginia Folklore posted by Mark Rainey on January 27, 2002 at 21:15:10:

Well, Mark, I guess there's always a truly great "first date" flick like "Black Hawk Down" or Bridget Jones's Diary." By the way. I thought that KLS was now, in baseball terminology, a free agent, so to speak?

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2002, 03:18:29 PM »
Posted by Gerard on January 28, 2002 at 09:18:29:
In Reply to: Re: West Virginia Folklore posted by Bob the Bartender on January 28, 2002 at 07:10:18:

Are you saying, Bob, that TLTKLAS is no longer hitched to the nuptial wagon? Not MY TLTKLAS! Never! That would be like Ward and June getting a...a...I can't even say it.

But if it shall be true, I would be more than happy to take her a nice Disney film, matinee show of course, followed by a Blizzard at the Dairy Queen.

Gerard (Hoping that Miss Scott reads this wonderful site - I'll even treat for the hot fudge topping!)

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2002, 10:41:04 PM »
Posted by Bob the Bartender on January 28, 2002 at 16:41:04:
In Reply to: Re: West Virginia Folklore posted by Gerard on January 28, 2002 at 09:18:29:

you know, Gerard, it's funny, but "Divorce on Dark Shadows" was never a very prominent aspect of the show. Hardly anyone ever got divorced in Collinsport. (Maybe that's why Tony Petersen specialized in personal injury cases.)

Of course, in Pine Valley, Erica Kane had about a baker's dozen divorces all by herself! The only divorces that I can remember on the show were (maybe) Roger's divorce from Laura and Liz's divorce decree from the prodigal Paul Stoddard.

Bob the Bartender, who would not wish the pain of experiencing a divorce proceding on anyone, even Gregory Trask.