Author Topic: Top Of The Mornin' To You!  (Read 910 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Top Of The Mornin' To You!
« on: September 30, 2003, 04:52:39 AM »
Hey gang,

Being born of an FBI mother (FBI: that's Full Blooded Irish), I would like to applaud Dan Curtis and Dark Shadows writer Sam Hall for their decision NOT to portray Desmond Collins' "business associate," Tim Braithwaite, as the stereotypically dimwitted and dipsomaniac Irishman with the faux Barry Fitzgerald-like brogue today.

Yes, it's very refreshing to see an Irish character not burdened with what "Angela's Ashes" author Frank McCourt ruefully and euphemistically describes in his writings as the Irish problem of (or with) "The Drink." 

As with its characterization of the Gypsy people of the Romano tribe, Dark Shadows continues its admirable policy of portraying non-traditional peoples with a keen appreciation of, and concern for, ethnic sensitivity and inclusion.

No doubt, Dark Shadows spared no effort or expense in insuring that all disparate ethnic groups would be portrayed with the utmost respect and regard.  Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the DS powers-that-be brought in some acknowledged experts in the field of religious, racial and ethnic tolerance, say, someone like Archie Bunker or, possibly, even Don "Mr. Warmth" Rickles himself.

Erin Go Bragh!

Bob the O'Bartender

PS Was that Joan Jett (or possibly Cher Bono) portraying the comely, dark-haired Eagle tavern barmaid today?       

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Top Of The Mornin' To You!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 06:20:58 PM »
PS Was that Joan Jett (or possibly Cher Bono) portraying the comely, dark-haired Eagle tavern barmaid today?

That was the winner of the Miss American Vampire (House of Dark Shadows) promotional contest. Check out reply #11 in 2003 Fest pics . There are also photos from her recent appearance at the 2003 Fest charity auction. For those, check out Fest Photos - Part 1 (thanks to Joeytrom).

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 07:47:49 AM »
I got it!  I didn't remember which storyline she appeared in and thought it was a lot earlier than this.  But from having seen pictures of it here before, as soon as I saw her I thought that was who she was!!
Josette

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 12:54:53 AM »
Bob, being half Irish and married to a full blooded Irishman, I will drink to that!

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth