Author Topic: OT The Invaders  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
OT The Invaders
« on: January 19, 2011, 11:18:03 PM »
Have taken the week off work due to the flu and enjoyed a little mini marathon of the Invaders with Roy Thinnes.  Any one else see it?  

" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: OT The Invaders
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 11:28:31 PM »
Cool Earth-based SF show I watched as a kid.   In the 90s I got to see it again and taped it.   Thinnes also had a pivotal X-Files role.

By the way, Roy Thinnes did/does (?) believe in UFOs as alien.  While the show was on, he appeared at a UFO convention, where people told him the show might just get the aliens PO'd at us...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 01:26:22 AM »
I loved The Invaders as a kid and watched it, along with Lost In Space, Star Trek and - of course - Dark Shadows.  I and my friends would "play" TI, as well as LIS and ST and - of course - DS.

In 1995, a sequel mini-series aired, starring Scott Bakula and Roy Thinnes.  Thinnes, old and tired, passes the baton to Bakula to continue to warn the world.

Gerard

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:57:03 PM »
Oh Gerard, I hope Sci-Fi runs that sometime.  I never realized how beautiful Roy's eyes were until I watched that old series! Gorgeous!! [snow_kiss]
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 04:01:41 PM »
Hi Teresa  i love the Invaders  i haven't seen that show  since the  60's  ? or early 70's  i think when it was on.
                                   Hope  u are feeling better.   Love   Anne [snow_kiss]
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 08:38:24 PM »
Hey Gerard,

When I was a kid in the Sixties, Lost in Space was my favorite show during the years it aired, to be succeeded by DS in 1968.

I've often wondered whether there were any kids back then who watched and loved both.

Just re-watched a season 1 episode, The Lost Civilization--Royal Dano had a very DS look to him as a scheming Major-domo although I think TPTB were going after memories of Ming the Merciless with the character.

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 11:20:20 PM »
I know in my neighborhood, Gothick, all us kids watched and loved both LIS and DS (and like I said, we would "play" both).  One of my best friends had a playhouse, a rather sizeable, one-room structure his dad had built on a solid foundation, and it would serve as both the Jupiter 2 and Collinwood.

And don't forget the LIS-DS connection:  Dennis Patrick.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 01:33:21 AM »
Raises hand as another who watched both.

Ah, yes - Mr. Keema, The Golden Man...

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 10:05:40 AM »
I watched both too!  [snow_smiley]

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 06:33:57 PM »
i watched the invaders when i was 6 and 7 yrs old and then again in reruns. i recently saw the 1st season dvd collection. i highly recomend the dvds! quality is excellent and roy introduces each episode! they also include an extended unaired pilot episode, an interview with roy thinnes where he talks about seeing a real ufo and also included are the original abc promos for the show.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 06:51:40 PM »
I absolutely loved this show as a kid- I used to love how the invaders would glow and burn up to ashes when they died.  We only had a black and white TV when I was growing up, so it would be a real treat if I could watch the show at a friend's house and see the death-glow in color  (hope that doesn't sound too morbid, but they were aliens, after all!  [snow_wink] )

I watched both (I think there were only two) seasons about a year ago by renting from Netflix, and it was a real treat!  As Joe says, it was great seeing Roy introduce the episodes.  Highly recommended!

Cathy

P.S. loved Lost In Space, too!

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 11:53:07 PM »
By the way, Roy Thinnes did/does (?) believe in UFOs as alien.  While the show was on, he appeared at a UFO convention, where people told him the show might just get the aliens PO'd at us...

MT,

Roy Thinnes' appearance at a 1967 ufo conference in New York City is mentioned in James Moseley's wonderfully acerbic "tell-all" ufo book, entitled "Shocking Close to the Truth."

Mr. Moseley recounts his many dealings over the years with such prominent members of ufology (or "ufoology," as Mr. Moseley refers to it)  as Maj. Donald Keyhoe, Dr. J. Allen Hynek, "Prof." George Adamski, Stanton Friedman,  and Bud Hopkins, to name but a few.

The book is sort of ufology's answer to former New York Yankee pitcher Jim Bouton's irreverent, tell-all baseball book, "Ball Four."  It's great fun and I highly recommend it if you're interested in this subject.

Bob

PS I just loved Mr. Thinnes' unique interpretation of the original Rev. Trask as a pompous, hidebound,  and "somewhat" flatulent cleric/witch hunter on the Dark Shadows remake in the early 1990s.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 11:00:47 AM »
Thanks Bob, and glad to see you posting again.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor