Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0711  (Read 3852 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0711
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 12:00:28 PM »
That's my provisional theory too...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 08:18:56 AM »
My theory is that Angelique appeared in the original 1897, but she was a continuation of the 1840 Angelique. I don't believe that she came out of the fireplace in the original storyline. I think some other evil person from Hell came out of the flames in the original storyline. Hey! I just got an idea! Maybe it was Laura! [ideag]

I don't think anyone came out of the flames in the original 1897.  They were trying to conjure up help to deal with Barnabas, and Barnabas wasn't there the first time around.

Whether Angelique came for some other purpose or not, I can't decide!
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 08:38:48 AM »
But Laura is in no way tied to the powers or darkness, and as for Evan's summons to rise up from the darkness of the earth, she presumably has [spoiler]already risen from the ashes in Alexandria.[/spoiler]

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 12:15:42 AM »
I for one am thrilled that Angelique has returned. She's an evil little w(b)itch, but damned if she doesn't make things interesting.

Oh, me too.  Quentin's description of her as "our beautiful black-hearted child of the angels" was great.  .....

Quentin and Angelique seem to be cut from the same cloth-- both had "larger expectations" than what they were given in life, and they're beautiful and clever and learned to take what they wanted by whatever force necessary.

Loved that description too, as well as Quentin's description of himself as "a man with larger expectations than life has heretofore offered me" (hope I didn't mess up the quote - I can't reverse on the dvd player I'm using right now).  Both phrases just have SUCH a Victorian feel to them.

As to Quentin and Angelique -- definitely two very similar people.  They would make a good match in some timeline or another. I think he's way better suited to her than Barnabas -- Quentin LIKES independent, intelligent, strong minded women, whereas I don't think Barnabas is comfortable around any but naieve ingenues.  I know there's a few Blake's 7 fans on here, and I've probably made this analogy before, but those two matched up would be a less toxic version of the Avon/ Servalan love hate relationship.

Quote from: Midnite
If Angelique's reason for going after Rachel was that she was a Josette look-a-like, I don't think there would have been any need for the scene in which Angie witnessed Rachel receiving the music box from Barnabas.  So I blame Barnabas, who seems to keep forgetting why he's in 1897 and apparently can't stop himself from indiscriminately changing future events.  And by giving the music box away, how does he even know it will get back to where it's supposed to be in 1967?  <sigh>

[snow_silly]         Someone needs to teach Barnabas about a little thing called the Prime Directive......

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 05:03:18 AM »
I know there's a few Blake's 7 fans on here...

Cool!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 05:35:49 AM »
And though I'm only on here sporatically, I remembered that YOU are one of them.  [snow_wink]

There's a couple more folks I remember mentioning it from time to time as well.  Such a pity no PBS station has shown it in years, there's no intent to release it on region 1 dvd -- and even if one  HAS a multstandard machine, the UK versions are very pricy.  [snow_sad]

So chances are slim to none of the fandom ever getting enough new blood to take off again in the States.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 06:33:50 AM »
So chances are slim to none of the fandom ever getting enough new blood to take off again in the States.

In the UK there's supposed to be a new "reboot" Blank's Seven with new actors, starting the same story over from the beginning, on Sky Television.   That kind of thing I'm not interested in, myself.   It's a replacement series, not a continuation.  And I herely stop veering wildly away from DS.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 04:52:43 AM »
I loved Evan's somewhat flippant comment regarding Quentin's obvious matinee-idol looks - envy much?  [snow_sick2]

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2009, 10:44:57 PM »
Funny thing is, to me they BOTH have matinee idol looks-- just different types. 

Its a given that the makeup people did a great job giving all the characters, especially the men, a Victorian LOOK.  With Selby it was more the Byronic dark and dangerous rake.

HAA was more the Claude Rains type, the handsome, suave sophisticated older man with a twinkle in his eye. [easter_grin]

Jeannie

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
I think HAA would be the kind of matinee idol who secretly wore lifts in his shoes, and they would have made Selby stand in a trench!

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2009, 03:27:18 AM »
 [laughing6]  Thanks so much for the mental image of Alan Ladd as Nicholas Blair!  [easter_evil]

Jeannie