Author Topic: Jonathan Frid and Johnny Depp  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Frid and Johnny Depp
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 12:56:36 AM »
He ought to play the desk clerk at the Collinsport Inn.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 01:49:23 AM »
Frid is a good mimic and could probably play Julia with a little make-up and a nice dress.   Anything but orange or green though.

What do you mean, no orange or green?  He would have to wear orange or green!  Those were Julia's signature style colors!  If Mr. Frid didn't wear some outfit in that scheme, it would confuse everyone in the viewing audience.  They would mistake him for someone else.  Why, they would think he was playing...playing...it's so hard for me to say it...Auntie Hannah.

Gerard

MirandaD

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 02:06:51 AM »
An orange and green desk clerk!  It doesn't get any better than that!  Now how on earth could he turn that chance down?  [ghost_grin]

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 02:59:21 AM »
Oh, great.  Now I have to floss my brain.   [ghost_blink]

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 11:10:42 PM »
I'd be very thrilled to see Jonathan Frid in a cameo role for the new DS.  It'd be nice to see other original cast members put in appearances as well!

~Penny~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline michaelhacketttodd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 06:50:32 AM »
It is very unlikely Jonathan will accept even a Cameo Role.  While always gracious to DS fans, he always tries to distance himself from the show.  During a performance of his "Reader's Theater" in Chicago several years ago, Jonathan mentioned his involvement with DS.  Then he reminded us that dwelling in the past is "unhealthy" and of course, there was yours truly with a Dark Shadows Concordance, waiting for an autograph and picture with my idol.  He pointed to me as if to use me as an example, then chuckled.  Later, he greeted me warmly, posed with me for a picture and autographed my concordance.  The August Fest will be the first time I have seen him since that memorable evening. 

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 09:36:58 AM »
I would'nt know if JF would accept the cameo role or not, but I can understand when he turned down to make appearances in the audio dramas and the WB pilot. But the new movie will be on the big screen, so will he still reject the offer?

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 09:33:06 PM »
I don't see any reason why he wouldn't accept an assignment or a cameo appearance. Its only been recently that he's been attending the Fests after many years absense.  I can see Frid as an elderly gentlemen living near Collinwood who is invited for dinner on occasion.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 09:41:54 PM »
In other words, the male equivalent of Mrs. Pettibone, Camila Ashland's costume party guest in hoDS.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 09:51:56 PM »
MB, that's just what I was thinking!  I was picturing a scene at the ball, where Jonathan, wearing the exact same costume he had in HoDS (it would probably have to be a recreation since the original must have turned to moth balls and scrap years ago), being introduced to Barnabas Collins (Depp).  Of course, Barnabas is wearing a nearly-identical costume and makes a comment to Jonathan's character about the similarity.  Jonathan makes some remark such as:  "But then I've always had an interest in the Collins family."

Gerard

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 09:59:33 PM »
Well, JF can't be accused of "always" trying to distance himself from DS when he attends festivals and his website features many comments about his time on DS, including writing essays about Barnabas.  http://www.jonathanfrid.com  That's not someone always trying to distance himself from DS. [ghost_wink]

nancy

It is very unlikely Jonathan will accept even a Cameo Role.  While always gracious to DS fans, he always tries to distance himself from the show.  During a performance of his "Reader's Theater" in Chicago several years ago, Jonathan mentioned his involvement with DS.  Then he reminded us that dwelling in the past is "unhealthy"

Offline fridfreak

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 11:46:30 PM »
Frid in drag??? Hell to the  No.....I can't see that...especially not as Julia or Elizabeth. He does not seem to look good in orange. I'm not sure of green.  However green would draw out his eye color which look hazel to me.  But what do I know? How about as a Mr. Braithwaite?  Nah not even that loony character.  I guess the question would be what would draw a large fan base to the movie?  Frid definitely would.   
Long live the vampire and his love (Barnabas and Maggie)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 05:17:19 AM »
If the film is done well, it will probobly be Deep that will draw the most people. It will bring the younger fans. That is what DS needs.

JF being in the movie would be great. They would make the older cast members be like can
you spot them in the movie for us older guys. Deep will want to keep us happy also.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

MirandaD

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 05:38:01 PM »
There is nobody who would love and adore seeing JF in any role whatsoever in the new movie more than me - however, his response about doing so at the last fest was something along the lines of "I'm too old to be traipsing around movie and tv sets".  That was not in reference to any particular project (if I recall correctly), but just in general.

Still, we can hope that the lure of an A list team might draw him to the Depp movie.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2009, 04:42:24 AM »
My parents saved that parade article for me!  It was nice to see DS in the media!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/