Author Topic: Adding some Special Effects  (Read 3201 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Re:  Adding some Special Effects
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2002, 11:06:41 PM »
I'm with you, Gothick, less IS more!  I much prefer Alfred Hitchcock's way of doing special effects to today's show it all, and the redder the blood, the better!  

Leaving what happens to the imagination of the viewer has always been the most effective way of movie-making.  After all, most of us have vivid imaginations and no movie maker who dazzles with special effects can possibly do as well as what our own sick brains come up with, right?

DARK SHADOWS was at its best when subtle.  The lousy shadow effect or the fake spider or the awful junk used in the upcoming Dream Curse didn't do a thing for me, then or now.  But soon, we will see mere shadows on walls in a very chilling, effective scene on DS!

Love, Robin

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Imaginations
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2002, 11:17:39 PM »
Leaving what happens to the imagination of the viewer has always been the most effective way of movie-making.  After all, most of us have vivid imaginations and no movie maker who dazzles with special effects can possibly do as well as what our own sick brains come up with, right?

I'll agree that SOME of us have vivid imaginations, Robin...but then again, many of us obviously do not!!  Perhaps those of us who are fans of this Gothic gem are more likely than most to have VERY vivid imaginations, but I don't think we should assume the same of everyone.  In fact, I think the current popularity of guts and gore horror films says a great deal about the large number of people who have NO imagination whatsoever!
As Vlad says: (if I may paraphrase...) "Show me someone who is bored and I'll show you somone who has no imagination!"

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Albert Camus

OT - Re:  Adding some Special Effects
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2002, 01:16:14 AM »
That sounds like something that can be handled privately between you and the other poster.  

It is not a big deal. He is free to do as he pleases. It hurts me, but oh well.

I know you're saying it because I said I wasn't aware of anyone ignoring you, but I do want to encourage that private issues between posters be handled privately.

I'd suggest, since this is your concern, that you share your personal information sparingly.

Good idea.  :)

Sorry-- I made the stars, but you're accusing someone by name of making a threat toward you... in writing on this board.  I'm not seeking to deride or correct you but to protect the board.  AC, if no one here is making threats against you on or through this forum, I don't even want to know about it because it has nothing to do with these boards and therefore isn't my business.

I was just saying that I know the moderators would never, ever collect information for vile purposes, but that there indeed those out there, namely the person I mentioned, who would do so.

I talked about that above.  And as you mentioned before, only members have access to profile information.  

Anyone can become a member. If they are banned, they simply need go to a public library, a university, an internet cafe (there is one or two where I live), or those such places.

I'll do it right now.

[shadow=red,left,300]Thank you. By the way, since I am already writing to you, how do you quote? [/shadow]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT - Re:  Adding some Special Effects
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2002, 02:35:04 AM »
Anyone can become a member. If they are banned, they simply need go to a public library, a university, an internet cafe (there is one or two where I live), or those such places.

Yes, all members are welcome.  But if you have a problem that comes through this board, please let MB or myself know privately so that we can deal with it, but any resource we might have with which to do it isn't up for discussion.

[shadow=red,left,300]By the way, since I am already writing to you, how do you quote? [/shadow]

Click "Quote" within the message you're responding to make the entire message become quoted in the response window.  To break it up into smaller quotes, any text within these tags will become a separate quote:
Code: [Select]
[quote]TEXT[/quote]

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Often when I go on gay.com, I wRe:  Adding some Special Effects
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2002, 05:32:53 AM »
To "Albert Camus" (or whoever you are) who said:
"Often when I go on gay.com, I will make up a new chat name each time for my protection."

Firstly, sorry for the blue post that upset you so--but it seems you had an over-reaction to it and to everything Midnight has been trying to explain to you.

As to the quote above, it seems to me that if you (or anyone else, including me!) is visiting gay.com, the general reason is quite different from your reason for posting on this board (especially if you're going into the chat rooms on gay.com.)

I've found this board and DS folks posting here to be very open and friendly to me (and others) who are gay.  If you wish to change identities here to retain your anonymity, then maybe you have some issues about your admiration for DS and its actors and fans--certainly nothing to be ashamed of, in my opinion.

If you do have such issues as a DS fan, then I can't even imagine what issues would cause you to post under different names at gay.com.

But I'm more than willing to hear from you personally about this if you'd like to email me and open discussion.

In the meantime, let's keep this DS board to DS-related posts (even if my sexual orientation colors my post--and I don't mean blue font!) and PLEASE--don't argue with Midnight, who looks out for all of us.

Brian