Author Topic: Creepy (Not the Way You'd Think...)  (Read 3079 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Creepy (Not the Way You'd Think...)
« on: October 07, 2008, 05:15:38 PM »
Ep 74 with the caption......

Is it me, or ewe...Burke is just too O L D for 'kitten' Carolyn.

Yish...gotta go take a shower....

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Creepy (Not the Way You'd Think...)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 07:29:32 PM »
My creep factor is reserved more for Carolyn rather than Burke.  She obviously likes older men (her crush on her Uncle Roger).

Burke is using Carolyn for his vendetta against Roger and the Collinses, and while that is low, it's Carolyn who is rather shamelessly flinging herself at him.  She looks very cheap and a bit tawdry inviting herself up to Burke's room or following him to Bangor....
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 10:03:40 PM »
Carolyn indeed made such a pathetic fool of herself over Burke. The way she constantly threw Joe over for him was infuriating to watch that it's hard to drum up much sympathy for her. I'm not saying this excuses Burke from using her but Carolyn was given plenty of warning from both Elizabeth and Roger what Burke's true motives were. Heck, Burke himself admitted what his intentions were (albeit in a jokingly way to throw her off). But Carolyn chose not to listen.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 10:15:59 PM »
I thought Carolyn really needed a Daddy.  The way she hero-worshipped Roger when Vicki first arrived showed quite clearly that she was desperate for an older male to fill the void left in her life by the long-ago departure of Paul Stoddard from the scene.

G.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
Whoops, and there my mind goes, tripping merrily over the edge into fetish land.

Spank me, daddy.  I've been a bad girl.....
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 12:07:13 AM »
Ep 74 with the caption......

Here's the capture/quote so everyone will still understand what's being discussed:

1966: Ep #74 - Burke: 'Speak of angels and they appear.'

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 12:18:44 AM »
I remember behaving like an idiot at that age. Go, Carolyn!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 12:25:29 AM »
LOL!  I like older guys. Does that make me weird?  I am 31 but I like to date guys who are at least three or four years older. I guess I have a daddy complex too.   I especially like guys in their early 40's as they (not all) are so sexy to me!! Spank me daddy indeed!!   [skull_winks] I have always liked older guys.  The oldest age gap I ever had in a relationship was 10 years though.  Okay onto Carolyn..

I couldn't stand Carolyn during this time however, [spoiler]when her mother fell ill what a turn around she made as she stepped into MISTRESS OF COLLINWOOD role!  I loved how Carolyn took over the role and the way Nancy played it. [/spoiler] That is why I would love to see Nancy as ELIZABETH in the DS movie!  I guess her age is too old for ECS though.  [hall2_undecided]

I concur JTW! :P
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 12:39:40 AM »
One of my all time favorite Carolyn moments--which I was going to mention in a thread some months ago about bitchy moments among All Who Live at the Great House--is when Nicky Blair is turning on the schmooze and the charm and Carolyn informs him frostily, "Mr. Blair, WE are a very old New England family."  You could have seen the icicles forming on Blair's moustache, and his smile took a delightfully fixed turn.

It's one of the many moments that makes the much-abused Adam and Eve storyline a truly GREAT time in the history of Dark Shadows!

An unrepentant 1968 fan,

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 12:46:30 AM »
Hmmm - I'm suspecting this topic is inspiring more than a few spanking fantasies.  :spank:  And those involved would probably like it as much as that smiley appears to.  [lghy]

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 03:10:12 PM »
Speaking for myself, as a very young woman, I too had a crush on a man in his 40's.  Sort of a Dr. Guthrie type, nerdy, looked good in tweeds, sigh.  So I can understand Carolyn's behavior. These were very good scenes about her relatinship with Burke and Liz and Roger.  It was all good IMO.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 09:18:58 AM »
Not to long ago I had a young woman who is 23 yrs-old asked me out for lunch and dinner several times and I am 45 yrs-old. I turned her down. Anyway, about Carolyn being too young for Burke, what about Vicki? Wasn't Vicki engaged to Burke at one time? I have always believed that Vicki was too young for Burke.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 12:00:15 PM »
I'm thinking that Burke was probably 15 years older than Vicki, but she was certainly more mature than Carolyn. The relationship between Vicki and Burke works for me.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 02:52:09 AM »
Yeah if Victoria was about 26 when her and Burke got together and then he was 15 years older then he woud have been about 40.  I don't see the big deal.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 04:41:43 PM »
There is something about an older man with a younger woman, something iconic or if you will fetishistic.  One of the truly vivid examples of that in fanfiction is the startling number of people who seem to see Hermione and Snape as a couple in Harry Potter (which includes a very well-done and hilarious music video on YouTube called "Buttons").  Along the same lines, I recently watched the movie For Your Eyes Only wherein Holly Johnson's character had a huge crush on Roger Moore's James Bond (there was a three-decade difference in their ages, I believe).  Then look at Monica and Richard on Friends.

Having said that, I do believe in this case it is evidence of Carolyn's issues.  Boy has she got some!  [spoiler]Methinks maybe that helps explain why she behaved so differently from either Maggie or Willie when bitten by Barnabas.  On some level she rather enjoyed being subject to a mysterious, dashing older man.  This was one thing I also thought worked well in HODS, her intense interest/jealousy of Barnabas.  And it certainly goes a long way to explaining some of her bizarre attraction to her husband.[/spoiler]