Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0591  (Read 1068 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0591
« on: July 21, 2008, 07:31:34 PM »

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss - Ep #0591
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 05:16:56 AM »
"One's elan vital into another body that was the purpose" Julia.  I love that line.  :) I guess Adam knows what ELAN VITAL is by now. I admit I didn't know what it meant.  However that is one another thing I like about DS it has taught me so many new words.  AND ADAMN LOVE NEW WORDS!   Nice for Barney to notice that Carolyn is in love with Adam even though she hasn't admitted it.  I think Nancy Barett looks especially goregous in this episode!!!  It looks as if her makeup has been done just a hair more natural today . I am a makeup artist so I notice stuff like that.   "Barnabas please don't try to handle me." GH's delivery making me smile.  I have to wonder what all these gadgets are?  I LOVE the shot of the cast/clock.

I hope I am not too detailed.  I have been writing my thoughts down.  I haven't seen DS through as many times as a lot of you I would say  and at times I need reminders.  Heck, I am just watching The first eps for the first time.  I had seen the first first five and that is it.

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:06:09 AM »
Whenever Grayson Hall's character says something in French, like élan vital today, I know Sam Hall wrote the script.

It was strange for me when Adam was talking about how different he is from Barnabas, because I had just realized another way that they are alike, besides their unreasonable expectations of others: both became fixated on one particular woman.  Does this mean that the fixation on Josette is an inescapable part of Barnabas's nature?  Adam worried that the mate-to-be wouldn't like him, and I remembered the night, before Vicky's trip to 1795, when Julia pointed out to Barnabas that Josette had never loved him.

As Julia scribbled away while talking with Adam, I wondered exactly what she was writing at this late date.  It occurred to me that she was writing gibberish, just for something to keep her hands busy - a substitute for fiddling with her gloves.  And then when she burst out, "Barnabas, don't try to handle me," I was sure of it.

If Adam had persuaded Carolyn to go away with him and dropped the mate-from-the-Experiment idea, what would Nicholas have done?  I have no doubt that he would have come up with something, because he wasn't about to abandon the idea of a master race - but what would he have done?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:11:46 AM »
Elan vital... just googled, and it seems to be something I'm in danger of losing.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 09:16:28 AM »
Keep your chin up Magnus.  I know it's easier said than done though.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 02:04:32 PM »
I loved the talk between Adam and Carolyn. For the first time in a long time, I pitied him rather than want to strangle him. He really did love Carolyn, and while she did care for him, she just didn't feel as strongly about him as he did her.

No one really wanted to see Carolyn participate in the experiment...not Barnabas, not Julia. Even Adam had his doubts and that's why he proposed to Carolyn (other than he's crazy about her).

Yes, I too wonder what Nicholas would have done if Adam and Carolyn had run away together...maybe [spoiler] his master Diabolos would have gotten on his case a lot sooner and summoned him back to Hell for screwing things up. That's exactly what he did anyway. [/spoiler]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 09:17:19 AM »
I also loved the talk between Adam and Carolyn. It was very sweet and romantic. [love3] I agree that Carolyn looked particularly beautiful in this episode.  [gorgeous]  It's too bad Carolyn didn't accept Adam's marriage proposal. [cryg] But, realistically, what would Adam do for a job? He had no skills, and probably would frighten everybody he met.  [ghost_undecided] It's too bad they didn't think to leave Adam's face covered when they did the experiment; then he wouldn't have been scarred. 

Of course, it was very dramatic when the experiment was going on.  [ghost_shocked] The end, with the clock ticking, was particularly thrilling. I loved hearing Julia giving orders.  [ghost_mad]

Kudos to all for their performances. [clap2]  Nancy Barrett did an exceptionally good job of writhing and screaming in pain during the experiment. [thumb]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 06:33:46 AM »
This show seemed almost normal. Just like a real couple having to deal with the trials of life.

Maybe the experiment didn't work because it was done in a candlelit basement. Maybe there wasn't enough power.

I love noticing the differences when they do it a second time. We  probobly didn't notice it as kids.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 06:14:33 AM »
The only time I like Adam is when he is actually talking in full sentences to Carolyn. I can always hear and see his desperate need to be loved by Carolyn. It was great twist to see Carolyn struggles her feelings concerning Adam. Why does she realized them now? Is it because of what Barnabas said? Or is it because Nicholas has power over her now??

Either way I wanted Carolyn to leave the house with Adam. The writers could have totally redeem Adam by this point. And I wonder why they didn't. Was Adam not popular during the original run? I always feel from each episode Adam personality is different. Sometimes, he has dialogue that makes him sound like a monster and other times (only a few) he seems complex.
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books