Author Topic: DEMONS anyone?  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
DEMONS anyone?
« on: July 16, 2008, 06:00:47 AM »
I am really surprised DS never divulged into this territory.  I know we met Diablos that was only one and he seemed somehow nonthreatening to me with his glasses. LOL  Now the Source on Charmed was probably a cooler copy of him Diablos IMO.  It would have been cool too  actually see a demon Ala Buffy Charmed Supernatural.  Julia and Barney of course figthing it all the way.  Any other ghouls or supernatural intities you wish would have come onto the canvas??  I also would have loved to have seen a SIREN.  A very evil one though. Very mysterious.  Very dark.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: DEMONS anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:01:52 PM »
I'm thinking that the producers and writers probably thought doing a full-blown demon story would've pushed the envelope too much with regards to a "public outcry."  Dark Shadows was already in the hot seat with its anti-fans (particularily fundamentalist opponents) and even its one, brief "descent" into the world of Splitfoot apparently was "toned down" by having the original idea of Satan himself having issues with Nicholas and Angelique being turned into Diabolos, a lesser-down in the hellish corporate headquarters. 

Two years after DS went off the air, The Exorcist hit the movie theaters and suddenly everywhere things satanic were all the rage.  Who knows if they show had stayed on if it would have finally introduced a story starring the guy dressed in arrow-tail and horn.

Gerard

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 01:33:04 PM »
It's hard to say, Rosemary's Baby came out is '68 and did well at the box office but did have it's own anti-crowd as did The Exorcist. I think that happens anytime to push the limits. I had fundamentalist friends that liked DS because it show evil as being real, and good always won in the end.
May you die before you want too.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 02:41:38 PM »
Let's also not overlook the fact that they couldn't have done the demons Buffy did, or the ones Charmed did before their budget cuts (somewhere around the middle of the series, most of the demons stop looking weird and start looking like regular people) without them looking extremely cheesy. Dan Curtis may have gone a little crazy with the SFX sometimes, but when something simply couldn't be done, he probably knew it. And, as had been previously mentioned, DS was heavily under fire from many fundamentalist groups. Some churches even published anti-DS pamphlets, making it the first soap to receive those. :P Vampires, witchcraft, and a brief descent into Hell pushed it enough; demons would have caused extreme public outcry. Plus, if it had been a male demon, they would have cast someone who would have turned into a real heartthrob and, in the next storyline, they would have drained him of a lot of his personality and made him one of the "good guys." The notion of a good demon is offensive or ridiculous to many people.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 05:41:47 PM »
Plus, if it had been a male demon, they would have cast someone who would have turned into a real heartthrob and, in the next storyline, they would have drained him of a lot of his personality and made him one of the "good guys." The notion of a good demon is offensive or ridiculous to many people.

Even worse - DC might have cast RD!!  [scrm]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 05:54:58 PM »
It would have been fun to see Humbert Allen Astredo playing the good demon Nicholas Blair in parallel time, fully aware of and even quite amused by RT Nicholas Blair's antics.

But my problem with demons, either good or evil, is that I don't envision them as having human emotions, so they probably wouldn't hold the audience's interest for very long.  Nicholas Blair - RT Nicholas Blair, that is - supposedly ended up with a human emotion, but I'm not so sure that it really happened.  I'm keeping eye out for signs of true love in his heart - his heart??? - in the course of the Watching Project.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 08:15:45 PM »

I'm a good demon, believe me! *shove*
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 09:56:32 PM »
Well some shows have dealt with the fact that in their "universe" there are good demons.  Angel did this in an ep I just watched from Season Three.  Poor Merl.  And Charmed dealt with it too when Charisma Carpenter's character wanted to be made human and had an emotional reaction to a mental institue and it's crazy folks.  Among other thing's that made her 'act' human.

I had read the "DIABLOS" storyline was pretty conterversial.  I guess I  see the point.

The PT time Nicholas being a demon could have been interesting!!

Oh yeah Goober...the whole demon's looking human on Charmed was annoying.   However, in Season Eight a few different times they used scarry looking demons.  It was a welcome adddition.   It was the first season they had done more special effects makeup.   Just to give you heads up since you haven't seen it.  Trust me though there are still the "normal" human looking demons.  Which was forced upon them by budget cuts.  \

And finally thank God RD didn't get to be a demon. 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 12:14:23 AM »

A very reliable source (I think it was the book Dark Shadows Almanac - 27th and 3/4 Anniversary Edition) said DC was actually planning on doing that but had to reject the idea because every time RD ran his hand through his hair he kept knocking the horns off.

Gerard

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 02:13:18 AM »
ROFLMAO  (Rolling ON Floor Laughing My Ass Off)  Okay I need to get up now!! [ghost_grin]  The hand thing is annoying to tell ya the truth.