Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0766  (Read 3745 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0766
« on: April 27, 2009, 10:03:36 PM »

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss - Ep #0766
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 06:46:24 AM »
Gail Strickland did the VO?  WOW! I thought it was Joan!  My tapes are very old though and the sound is horrid.  OH WELL...

VO: Gail Strickland
Written by: Violet Welles
Directed by: Lela Swift

Why does it always look so "light" at night?  It doesn't look like moon light, it looks like sun light.  Maybe they didn't have the lighting technology they have in this day and time?  Good to see Barnabas again.  I really like his suit as it is my favorite one he wears in this time period.  It is interesting that Magda mixes Catholic rituals with curses and so forth.  I guess that is her gypsy way. I guess she is more of a "spiritualist" if you will.  Where did the stairs in the Old House disappear too?  LOL  I love how Q's shirt is totally open and the wolves never is.  LOOK~~I ain't complaning though!YUMMY!  [ghost_wink]  I wish he would just take it off!  I would rather see him completely without one than [spoiler]Jeb Hawkes![/spoiler]  JUST TAKE IT OFF QUENTIN!!  MMM.....Good LORD...moving on...

OH shut up DORCASS you had it coming!

Love Judith's blue dress. 

LOL.  No steps and the whole side of the set is shown.  I bet that camera man was cussed out!

G R E A T Episode!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 07:04:02 AM »
I can't believe I missed the vanishing staircase again!

TV shows couldn't film at night or in low light, so they all filmed night scenes in bright light and then just tinted the screen darker I guess.   In outdoor shots they'd sometimes try to shoot so that no sky appeared onscreen, since the sky would stay blue, just a draker blue.

That problem's over now?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 07:11:49 AM »
I think it is Magnus...on General Hospital there night scenes are obviously shot in a studio but the it looks as if it is night.  They use the proper lighting. And primetime shows do shoot there night scenes at night if it is outside, most of the time!  I know they did on Charmed because I have read that they would do their NIGHT shots in the early morning hours around 4 am!  Sorry to get off topic but wanted to address Magnus question!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 07:18:29 AM »
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to add that Buffy The Vampire Slayer filmed at night as well.  They didn't enhance it with special effects.  I have read many articles about them working early into the morning to get the "night shots"

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 04:02:24 AM »
Quentin really went though the wringer in this episode.  I was suprised to see Gail Stickland back.  I knew I'd seen her in other things and just saw  "The Man in the Moon" where she was the Mom. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 10:28:22 PM »
Don't feel bad Magnus -- my reaction after reading the posts was WHAT vanishing staircase (and I just saw the episode earlier today).

and Taeylor -- I thought it was Joan, too, and I have the DVD.  Must be something other than your tape quality.  SNICKER -- you noticed that about Wolfie's shirt too.  Obligatory Himbo beefcake. [ghost_grin]  Note the other example I put in my comments below.  [ghost_wink]

We open on wolfie, sprawled out on the top of the rocks, and Magda, approaching him with the gun.  (Is this the first time we see a woman pull a gun on Quentin?  We know it won't be the last....)  [nerv]  She goes through with it, and the werewolf grabs his chest as if the bullet hit him there.

Ok, her logic seems screwy.  Killing Quentin insures the kids escape the curse?  One would think it would move it right to them.  Even if the pentagram  is used exactly as she says and does protect the boy, the GIRL didn’t get a pentagram, so she would still pass it on , whether or not Quentin is alive – which is what we saw with Chris back in 1969. Seems they stayed consistant with the werewolf lore when they used it again in Leviathan.  What Barnabas describes about Quentin healing if he transforms while the beast is alive vs him dying with the beast fits what was used later for Chris.

HUMPH – Barnabas has a nerve digging at Magda about “it only takes a moment for the future to be destroyed by one silver bullet in the hands of a gypsy”.  Of course HIS constant interference has had NO effect on how events have been  playing out.   [a395] <WHAP> He knows no more about how things need to go to “put right what once went wrong” than Magda does.  And, sorry Barnabas fans, I think Magda is smarter than Barnabas….he’s just more accustomed to assuming he's always right, and everything will always go his way – not to mention blaming everyone but himself when things go wrong.

Again with the timing on the cock crow.  Barn is still nattering on, and demanding that Magda keep the beast alive till dawn – which the cock says is now very close, so why the big production over what they’ve already discussed?
Oh oh, we’re back to a six cylinder gun, from which Magda’s lost a bullet. OI and again no one watches a dangerous person.  Wolfie seems to have gotten his strength back, and right on the cusp of dawn is now on the loose again.  [Wolfie] These people just do NOT seem to get the concept of locking creatures behind doors. May not stop them, but it would sure slow them down – which might be all that’s needed this close to dawn.  LOL amusing in the transformation shot how you see so clearly that the werewolf’s brown eyes change to Quentin’s blue ones.

Snicker, his shirt sure got ripped up real quick.  Even after being shot – twice – wolfie’s shirt was all buttoned up. Made me think of  a scene in Falcon Crest.  All the regulars were in a plane crash.  Every male who survived it had artistically ripped up shirts with bare chests showing.  Yet one of the women was wearing a white dress white hose and stockings – and didn’t have a hair out of place or a smudge on her clothes anywhere.  None of the other women had no much as a snag in their pantyhose either.  [ghost_wink]

Quentin is now chasing after a crying woman’s voice instead of figuring out how to get back to the house unseen.  Smart move <not>! Oh, but here he is sneaking in the front door.  All the secret passages in that house and he comes in the way that’s most likely to get him seen by someone.  And the crying has followed him, to boot – along with the very unwanted and possibly noisy enough to raise the house Dorcas.  He’s still got some work to do on his compassion:  no regrets, no apology, it’s all about “they mustn’t know”.  Of course he goes for her when she won’t shut up, and finds out, as Nathan Forbes did before him that “you can’t kill me – I’m already dead.”  [Ghost00] Uh, not to gross anyone out, but wasn’t it mentioned that Dorcas was ripped apart to the point where they spoke of “body parts”.  Looks kind of intact to me.  Also curious why she didn’t come haunt him before.  If I remember right he killed her at the 1st transformation, and he transformed again the night after, which was the day she was buried. It took the ghost a whole month to find out who he was and come after him?

Of course the next scene is him in his room with the music and the brandy, hands shaking so badly he can’t  tie the stock around his neck.  The second round with Dorcas really does him in.  Between that and the brandy he nearly blows the whole thing to Judith, who came to check when she heard him screaming  (again, he’s supposedly off in his own wing, how did she hear him and get there that fast).

Maybe it’s the elephant in the room that neither of them will mention, but I would think he could have tried to convince Judith that Jenny was haunting him, and hung the whole thing about murderer, etc on that.  Can’t really get a handle on what Judith thinks is going on, whether she pins it on what happened with Jenny, the drinking, or both.  She does in all innocence set off his paranoia by noticing that he’s behaving like a cornered animal, and he’s terrified of letting her suspect anything.  She really seems concerned about him in this scene, while he’s going off like an adolescent screaming GET OUT OF MY ROOM.  Sense I get is she doesn’t leave because he’s being obnoxious and demanding it – she leaves because she sees she’s getting nowhere and gives up on trying to help.  Wonder what she would have done if he'd opened up to her about what REALLY happened?

JUST what Quentin most wanted to hear out of a clear blue sky.  The cousin he doesn’t quite trust telling him obliquely that he knows all about his curse.  Good thing he’s both sober and not freaking out at this point, he has the presence of mind to deny everything.   Barnabas boggles my mind.  He apparently considers Quentin “foolish” (read stupid) for not trusting him and telling him everything, and not realizing that Barnabas is his “only chance”.  And what information does he have that would lead him to trust Barnabas and know he’s there from the future to change things?  Great, Barnabas, expect him to trust you just cause you tell him to, and tell him nothing much except you cant tell him much. [twak]

Good for Quentin, he mistrusts everything he’s being told, because he sees the real possibility of a trap. He tells Barn straight out that the hand of friendship could be hiding a knife.  Since he doesn’t have any of the knowledge the audience does about what Barn and his motives are, this only proves he has a brain. He finally gives in, because he has no better options, but with his eyes wide open for something to go against him.

AGAIN with the conversations about curses and other incriminating stuff WITH A DOOR WIDE OPEN SO ANYONE COULD HEAR.

Now we go from bad to worse, with Barnabas being told by Judith about Jamison’s dream – that David Collins is dead.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 12:44:35 AM »
We open on wolfie, sprawled out on the top of the rocks, and Magda, approaching him with the gun.  (Is this the first time we see a woman pull a gun on Quentin?...)

Beth, #752?

Uh, not to gross anyone out, but wasn’t it mentioned that Dorcas was ripped apart to the point where they spoke of “body parts”.

She was described as having been mutilated, but it was Taeylor and MagnusTrask who pictured her in pieces and even, um, consumed:
I for one was very satisfied with Dorcas getting eaten.
I just saw this, and missed the body parts-- do I want to go back to look for them?   Mmmaybe not.

Had Gail Strickland not been available for this ep, would we then have seen a bandaged and bloody ghost?  [winkb]

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 01:32:07 AM »
YIKES that was  a bad blooper by me.   [90d1]  Don't know how that one oozed right out of my brain.   [6184] [blshg]

LOL on the bandaged bloody ghost which would have shown up if Gail Strickland weren't avaliable.  Not to mention that the bandages would be on body parts never originally injured.  [ghost_wink]

and LOL on Magnus and Taeylor filling in the blanks and providing us with body parts.  Guess they like the same slasher movies my friend Kelly loves.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 03:32:18 AM »
When I said "eaten" I didn't mean it literally!  Sorry for the confusion!  I guess that wasn't the right word.   [ghost_huh] I thought I saw her hand disembodied!??  I love scary movies but I tend to like the ones that are fantastical.  If it can really happen (like Scream) it freaks me out! However, I still love certain slasher movies--like Scream!

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 12:02:33 AM »
LOL Taeylor!

I wasn't sure if I missed something left around to imply body parts.  I watch on a small portable while typing on the laptop, and sometimes I miss fine detail, either through not looking closely enough or taking eyes from episode to multitask.

Jeannie

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 05:36:37 AM »
Gail Strickland did the VO?  WOW! I thought it was Joan!  My tapes are very old though and the sound is horrid.  OH WELL...
I remember a discussion about this before and the consensus then among board cousins was that it was JB.  And after listening to it again, I'm convinced that it was Joan.

When I said "eaten" I didn't mean it literally!  Sorry for the confusion!  I guess that wasn't the right word.   [ghost_huh] I thought I saw her hand disembodied!??
If only DS had been that cool, but alas, the hand was still attached.  As for saying she was eaten, it's no problem; isn't that why werewolves have the big canine teeth?

Ok, her logic seems screwy.  Killing Quentin insures the kids escape the curse?  One would think it would move it right to them.  Even if the pentagram  is used exactly as she says and does protect the boy, the GIRL didn’t get a pentagram, so she would still pass it on , whether or not Quentin is alive – which is what we saw with Chris back in 1969.
I think you're absolutely right, Pansity.  Barnabas would know that Quentin's death wouldn't stop the curse because he witnessed future events, but maybe Magda was just not aware of this until he told her (B: "There's no escape for them now"). He ought to think about getting her a copy of Curses for Dummies. ;)

Also curious why she didn’t come haunt him before.  If I remember right he killed her at the 1st transformation, and he transformed again the night after, which was the day she was buried. It took the ghost a whole month to find out who he was and come after him?
Maybe Dorcas' ghost didn't rise immediately, so she had to wait out a moon cycle for the werewolf to show up so she could learn its identity at dawn?  No?

Has anyone heard elsewhere about the 15th century Frenchman who was cured of his lycanthropy?

Barnabas to Magda:  "If his life is lost, so is yours."
It takes a very cocky man to threaten the life of the person responsible for guarding his coffin just before he climbs into it.  If I were Magda and the werewolf died on my watch, I'd do some staking to save myself.

B to M again:  "We'll think about it during the day and we'll discuss it later tonight."
Barnabas' mind is at work during the daytime?

One more B to M quote:  "If we take him to the Old House at once, if we keep him alive until dawn, then Quentin Collins will awake whole and well, but if this creature dies, if he dies, then Quentin Collins dies with him."
Doesn't that sound incredibly familiar?  Just replace "take him to the Old House" with do the experiment, turn "whole and well" into free and healthy, then substitute creation for any references to Quentin or the creature and change the last part to Barnabas will be as he was before and, well, you know. :P

OMG, the slide of Seaview Terrace isn't backwards.

In the Barnabasless 1897, did Magda shoot Quentin with a silver bullet?  If so, how did he survive the night without Barnabas there to insist that the werewolf be cared for at the Old House?

Do you think Magda went to Boston in the original timeline?

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 03:41:53 AM »
The whole Magda situation in regards to Barnabas bothers me.  She should know that if she killed Barnabas it would free Sandor and she's be free of him also.  Why does Barnabas not enslave her to make sure she does his bidding?
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 11:42:07 AM »
Major Milestones: [milestone]
1. First time we saw the Werewolf change back to Quentin - we saw the eyes change from brown (Werewolf) to blue (Quentin). I like the blue eyes better! [ghost_cheesy]
2. First mention of Julianka, the Romana family, and King Johnny Romano. Is it Romana or Romano? Could it be that it followed gender, with females having a name ending in a, and males having a name ending in o?
3. First time one of Werewolf Quentin's victims haunted Quentin.
4. Barnabas told Quentin he knew about the curse.
5. First time someone had a dream about the future.

I remember a discussion about this before and the consensus then among board cousins was that it was JB.  And after listening to it again, I'm convinced that it was Joan.
I listened to it again, too, and I agree that it was Joan. [thumb]

In the Barnabasless 1897, did Magda shoot Quentin with a silver bullet?  If so, how did he survive the night without Barnabas there to insist that the werewolf be cared for at the Old House?
I wondered that myself, Midnite. Maybe Sandor was there, or maybe Magda got second thoughts after she shot him. But I think Magda did shoot Quentin in the original timeline.  

Do you think Magda went to Boston in the original timeline?
After watching the next episode (#767), I think she did.

I purposely counted how many silver bullets Magda loaded into that gun - it was six. I think it would be useful to know that, so we can keep track of how many bullets were fired, and how many were left.
Did I count wrong? I went over it again to make sure. Magda said she only loaded the gun with 5 bullets, but I saw her put 6 bullets into that gun. I think that's a blooper, if I ever saw one. [signerror]

I was amazed that Werewolf Quentin was able to survive being shot by a silver bullet. (Truthfully, though, I was relieved, as well.) I thought silver bullets were lethal! I guess maybe it was because Magda missed his heart. [ghost_huh]

How did Quentin's suit get ripped up? When the Werewolf ran out of the house, his suit was in perfect shape, yet just a moment later, the suit was in shreds! Actually, I really enjoyed seeing Quentin's bare chest and his mussed hair! Mmmm! [luv]

It was great when Dorcas was haunting Quentin. Really spooky. [ghost_shocked] Poor Judith... All she wanted to do was help Quentin and find out what was wrong, and Quentin yelled at her to get out like a spoiled child. Sibling abuse!

When Barnabas told Quentin that he knew about the curse, it reminded me of the scene in 1967 when [spoiler]Julia told Barnabas that she knew he was a vampire.[/spoiler]

Excellent episode! David Selby especially did an excellent job with Quentin's feeling guilty and being frightened of Dorcas. [clap2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 12:21:17 AM »
The whole Magda situation in regards to Barnabas bothers me.  She should know that if she killed Barnabas it would free Sandor and she's be free of him also.  Why does Barnabas not enslave her to make sure she does his bidding?

Didn't Barney offer Magda jewels in his first episode in 1897 to help him and keep his secret??