Author Topic: Did Anyone Else Watch Dark Shadows Today?  (Read 497 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Did Anyone Else Watch Dark Shadows Today?
« on: March 29, 2024, 10:52:46 PM »
Meaning the 2012 Depp movie version.  It was on SyFy (I hate that lettering) today at noon, CST.  I haven't actually seen it in several years (my DVD is in a box in storage), so I settled back and enjoyed watching it again.  I think it's a really great movie.

Anyway, this is something we might've discussed some time ago, probably on the Depp DS thread, but - of course - at this late point in the game, I have no recall.  The end of the movie left so many possibilities for at least one sequel, with so many lose threads.  Collinwood obviously needs to be restored, if not rebuilt.  Carolyn is a werewolf, plus she made it apparent that there's a mystery as to what happened to her father (Paul, I would imagine).  The ghost of Laura Collins and her mysterious background were made evident along with her relationship with David.  Josette/Maggie/Victoria (Josmagia?) is now a vampire, along with Julia who is very pissed.  And will Mrs. Johnson ever get that new mop bucket?

So what could Depp and Burton come up with?  What ideas would anyone here have?  I've tried to creatively fantasize the next phase in the adventures of the Collins family, but it's not an easy project.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Did Anyone Else Watch Dark Shadows Today?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 11:19:51 PM »
And will Mrs. Johnson ever get that new mop bucket?

Surely the most exciting dangling thread!!  [easter_wink] [easter_cheesy]

I had no idea SyFy has the film. Last I noticed Netflix had it and it did very well there, placing in the Top 10 Most Viewed films for an extended period when it was first made available. But it doesn't seem that it's still available on Netflix, so I supposed it popping up on SyFy means WB's deal with Netflix has expired and SyFy grabbed it...

As for what might have happened in a sequel, let's also not forget that the village was made completely aware that Barnabas is a vampire, so that really complicates things - well, unless Nicholas Blair is suddenly going to pop up and wipe the whole village's memory for whatever reason his twisted mind might come up with, like he wiped Maggie's memory on the original series. Though God forbid they might have gone the whole Dr. Lang/Adam route again!! Had the '91 DS continued, it was smart enough to know that was a plot to definitely stay away from...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 12:38:37 AM »
Bringing in Nicholas Blair, MB, would actually be a good idea that would've taken care of the problem with Collinsporters knowing one of their most respected townspeople was Dracula.  It would work as a plot device:  Nicholas appears in town and suddenly everyone's memory, save the immediate Collins family, of the revelation of Barnabas vanished.  Of course, that would make Barnabas and his kin suspicious of this dark, mysterious person (who, behind their backs, swept up the broken porcelain pieces of Angelique to put her back together).  But now that leaves us with Countess Julia, Carolyn Talbot Stoddard, Ouija-Board Laura, Lost Paul, and Governess Josmagia who can now only work the third shift to fill in the rest of the plot.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 12:51:45 AM »
this dark, mysterious person (who, behind their backs, swept up the broken porcelain pieces of Angelique to put her back together).

THAT would have been the perfect way to bring Angelique/Eva Green back - I didn't even think of it. No need to even get into Adam if Nicholas' point is to restore Angelique, as it was when Nicholas first showed up on the original series. And along with the truth about Barnabas, Nicholas could also make the villagers forget the truth about Angie...

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 12:55:27 AM »
And will Mrs. Johnson ever get that new mop bucket?

Surely the most exciting dangling thread!!  [easter_wink] [easter_cheesy]

I had no idea SyFy has the film. Last I noticed Netflix had it and it did very well there, placing in the Top 10 Most Viewed films for an extended period when it was first made available. But it doesn't seem that it's still available on Netflix, so I supposed it popping up on SyFy means WB's deal with Netflix has expired and SyFy grabbed it...

As for what might have happened in a sequel, let's also not forget that the village was made completely aware that Barnabas is a vampire, so that really complicates things - well, unless Nicholas Blair is suddenly going to
pop up and wipe the whole village's memory for whatever reason his twisted mind might come up with, like he
wiped Maggie's memory on the original series. Though God forbid they might have gone the whole Dr.
Lang/Adam route again!! Had the '91 DS continued, it was smart enough to know that was a plot to definitely
stay away from...

Oh, come on, if the 1991 DS had continued on NBC and they did NOT rehash the Adam life force experiment storyline, then we would have all been deprived of the great pleasure of once again admiring the absolute comedic genius of those two masters of mirth and mayhem and Collinsport’s two favorite sons:

Lang & Clark!!   [Bunny Eggs]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 01:04:39 AM »
 [pointing-up]  Nope, no Lang and Clark on the '91 DS. They did plan to bring Peter Bradford (Michael T. Weiss) into the present but he was going to show up as a Chris Jennings type character and probably would have been a werewolf, helping to pave the way for Quentin (Adrian Paul) to somehow show up. The plan to have Weiss play Jennings in a season two was why Joe was killed off in season one. But we digress from a potential sequel to DS 2012...

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 02:56:38 PM »
Wouldn’t it have been great if RD had portrayed a werewolf on DS? I can just see him, preening even more than Cher or the late Farrah Fawcett, as he stroked and even caressed that magnificent head of lycanthropic hair during his transformation into the “wolf man” of Collinsport!!!  [Bunny Big Egg] [Easter 7]

And, as far as the mezza-mezza (so-so) Tim Burton 2012 DS film is concerned, well, at least it wasn’t as nearly disappointing as “Godfather III” was.  [easter_undecided]