Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0148  (Read 1290 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0148
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:46:46 PM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0148
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:28:20 PM »
Lotsa stuff happening in this episode. Bravo to Vicki for standing up to Burke. She’s adult here, speaks her mind, and she’s not backing down. Too bad she becomes such a dimwit later on in the series.

Burke to Carolyn: We've had good times together, some of the best times I've ever had in my life.
He’s either lying or he must have had a pretty dull life up until then. He’s telling the truth when he says they were never right for each other. Yessir.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:46:20 PM »
Well, of course there's a possibility that "Margaret" was murdered.   Wasn't that a given?

This forced, supposed Carolyn/Burke "romance" is painful to watch.   He clearly doesn't mean it, but doesn't seem to be cynically using her, either, unless it's been as an excuse to gain access to the Collins estate, and therefore Laura.   He'd just go to the cottage if he wanted to, though.   

In the past, there was this mocking, gloating, calculating Burke hidden inside charmer Burke.  He loved making Collinses seem foolish, without their realizing it.   He'd manipulate and then drop an almost-unmistakeable verbal clue into the conversation, proving his contempt and insincerity, which he knew his victim wouldn't pick up on, just to entertain himself.  He did it to help himself gloat, privately.   These Collinses are just so stupid, so pathetic, he'd think...  Carolyn was his prime target.

Now that's not at work, here.   No sex, either.   Now it seems as if Burke just eventually goes out with all women he hangs out with for long enough, in a sort of knee-jerk way.   He's not even after sex necessarily.   Maybe he's just sort of lonely and naive about consequences, but does that sound like Burke?   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 01:16:20 AM »
Now it seems as if Burke just eventually goes out with all women he hangs out with for long enough, in a sort of knee-jerk way.   He's not even after sex necessarily.   Maybe he's just sort of lonely and naive about consequences, but does that sound like Burke?

I don’t see Burke as being naïve about anything. I think Laura put some sort of spell on Burke or at least enchanted him in some way.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 01:46:12 AM »
Definitely agree--remember in the previous episode he told Vicki he wanted to get some answers from Laura, but the minute he met her he bascially turned to mush. At least Vicki can see what's going on and is now determined to keep David away from her. And Vicki even has Frank wondering if Laura was lying about when she left Phoenix.

Poor Carolyn gets dumped by Burke.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 02:34:43 AM »
I think it's hilarious when Burke delivers these overly saccarine lines to Carolyn with such a deadpan, almost sarcastic tone.   In reality Carolyn played no part whatsoever in his real life, emotional or otherwise.  Sadly, Laura regards Burke much the same way he regards Carolyn...
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 02:46:59 AM »
I think Laura put some sort of spell on Burke or at least enchanted him in some way.

But would Laura's spell spill over onto Carolyn, and make him go out with Carolyn?  Was it a general spell regarding Burke and women?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 05:04:13 AM »
But would Laura's spell spill over onto Carolyn, and make him go out with Carolyn?  Was it a general spell regarding Burke and women?

Nothing to do with Carolyn. Through her feminine wiles or phoenix prowess, Laura got Burke on her side.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 05:28:59 AM »
Nothing to do with Carolyn. Through her feminine wiles or phoenix prowess, Laura got Burke on her side.

Sure, I was only talking about the Burke/Carolyn "romance", though.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 12:42:53 AM »
Frank is using Rogers long unseen office. I wonder if it is stil supposed to. Be Rogers office or it is Frank's now.
Burke tells Vickie Laura is remarkable. I suspect a lot of Burke's anger is that Laura married Roger. It would have made the story more interesting in the beginning if Burke had been shown that he was still in love with Laura and that was driving his revenge.  I hope Burke and Carolyn are done.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
I think Laura put some sort of spell on Burke or at least enchanted him in some way.
I thought about that possibility, but concluded it was unlikely.  I think we would have gotten a whiff of it yesterday if that had been the case.  I think this was all about the bargain Burke thinks he has with Laura: if Burke gets David to like his mother, then Laura will testify for him in a re-trial.  Burke was terrifically awkward with Vicky because his change in attitude wasn't real; it was all about calculation.  [He reminded me strongly of a certain politician, but we don't discuss politics here.]  Any infatuation he has for Laura is prompted by the thought of the wonderful thing she'll be doing - well, that, and maybe the fact that she was probably his first love, and one never forgets one first love.

Frank is using Rogers long unseen office.
My impression was that it was definitely Frank's new Collinsport office; Lieutenant Riley dropped by to see Frank there, and then Frank answered the phone as though the office were his rather than a borrowed one.  I think this is the first re-use of a set that we've seen, and it shocked me that they didn't even bother take down the picture of Colonel Mustache.  With all the miscellaneous pictures they have, it wouldn't have been very difficult.  I know where they can find a nice old picture of a mother holding her child.  Hint: it was still on the floor of David's room yesterday.

I liked Carolyn today.  She was completely delusional about whatever relationship she thought she had with Burke - but I liked her better than I've ever liked her before.