Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0142  (Read 1300 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0142
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:04:04 AM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0142
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 01:14:29 AM »
So Vicki was compelled to bring the painting home with her. But she was hesitant about showing it to Laura and David. Why didn’t she just tell them that the painting wasn’t appropriate for young eyes, a nude or something?

It bugs me that nooooooobody can figure out whose silhouette that is. Come on.

Wow. How long has Sam been at the Blue Whale anyway?
Sam: There's an old, battered hulk on the beach, half in the water, half out.
(I wonder if that was me?)
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 05:04:17 PM »
Poor Sam. He comes home from the BW (finally!), all happy that he's gotten rid of the painting, and merrily starts a new one. But he's horrified when this one is a variation on the same theme--except that this time, the woman looks almost birdlike, her expression downright feral. And she has wings that seem to be beating--fanning the flames of her pyre, perhaps.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 05:51:21 PM »
Great effect, of Laura's face coming out of the painting.   But is Laura doing it herself?  The last thing she wants right now is for David to be afraid of her.   When the "head" is still small, DM appears to take a couple steps down, judging from the bobbing of her head.   For some reason.

Janet, I think Vicki showed everyone the painting and gave it to David because she's still being compelled, every inch of the way.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 08:03:14 PM »
Then it must be Josette who's making Laura's big giant head come out of the painting, just as it's Josette who's compelling Vicki to give David the painting in the first place.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 01:41:53 AM »
Definately the most confusing storyline.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0142 (was Discuss - Ep #0141)
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 07:11:03 PM »
Sam hates the painting, Vickie wants it and notices a blank space in the corner. David reveals he does not like his father and he feels Roger does not love him. When Vickie is compelled to return with the painting David says it is his dream and he loves it.  Laura's huge head comes out of the picture into David's room at night.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 06:33:07 PM »
alwaysdavid, I think you may have gotten ahead of yourself.  The episode you describe doesn't sound like the one I just watched.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 07:08:27 AM »
alwaysdavid, I think you may have gotten ahead of yourself.  The episode you describe doesn't sound like the one I just watched.

Thanks for the heads up, Lydia... it's been moved (along with your post) to this topic.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 12:00:48 PM »
Thanks, Midnite!

What a profoundly weird episode.

But he's horrified when this one is a variation on the same theme--except that this time, the woman looks almost birdlike, her expression downright feral. And she has wings that seem to be beating--fanning the flames of her pyre, perhaps.
I was noticing today that the first picture had wings, too, and I started thinking about Laura flying about in the night.

Then it must be Josette who's making Laura's big giant head come out of the painting, just as it's Josette who's compelling Vicki to give David the painting in the first place.
In that case, it would be Josette who compelled Sam to paint the painting, and Josette who is now compelling Sam to paint Laura again.  That's a substantial amount of power that Josette is wielding all of a sudden - if it is indeed Josette that's doing it.  Why would Josette be suddenly turning into a very active supernatural force, instead of one who stays around the Old House dancing and saying "Don't be afraid" to damsels in distress?  I like the idea that after David brought Laura to the Old House and put her in the same room with Josette's portrait, Josette started taking action.  But Sam felt compelled to paint before that.  So, is there another power inimical to Laura at work here?  Or is Sam just super-sensitive to the supernatural because he's an artist?  And again, why is Josette throwing her ectoplasmic weight around - assuming that she is?  If so, it must be wearing her out considerably.

And if it's not Josette, who or what is it?

Definately the most confusing storyline.
I'm not so sure about that.  There's so much that doesn't make sense all the way through Dark Shadows.  But at this point the writers were still trying to make sense, so I have more of a feeling here that the puzzle can be figured out, if only we try hard enough.

Sam: There's an old, battered hulk on the beach, half in the water, half out.
The town authorities should do something about it.  There's no way you can keep children from playing on that sort of thing, and I'm sure it has rusty nails and splinters in abundance.  But maybe there are ghosts that scare the children away.  Note: a month ago, I wouldn't have suggested there might be ghosts on the battered hulk.  Dark Shadows had very little to do with the supernatural back then.  But now things have changed.

When Laura's head came out of the picture, I sort of expected it to say, "I am the great and powerful Oz!"