Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0447  (Read 1777 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0447
« on: May 01, 2013, 12:14:02 AM »
Robservations #447

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0447

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 12:26:31 AM »
The word "vampire" is uttered for the second time.... for the second time!  Since this is a redone scene, we can hardly count it as a third time...

Joshua uses Naomi's sensitivity as a weapon against Barnabas, threatening to tell Naomi if Barnabas doesn't behave.   Does he mean it?   Wasn't that the same unforgiveable threat that Nathan made?

I don't see how it helps to put Barnabas out of his own house, where he can relax like a person, and have some dignity, and stick him in the empty tower room in Collinwood.   Barnabas can still do whatever he wants.   Barnabas can explain that.   Maybe Barnabas wants Joshua to feel he's impeding Barnabas, to prevent Joshua from staking him.   Maybe it's just Joshua's mechanistic point of view... put a problem in a "box" and contain it as best you can.   The family secret is now in the same house as Naomi now, though.   I wonder if Joshua subsconsiously wants everything to go public, through some accidental meeting in Collinwood, so the family money can't go to Nathan.

Maybe it's a sort of unconscious "punishment" or gesture of control, on Joshua's part.   Josh didn't want Barn to have the Old House (that was because of the marriage to Ang, but Josh hasn't had time to shift gears and forgive Barn for that yet), and he gets to feel he's subjugating and controlling Barnabas once again.   Maybe he's even jealous of the Devil and the supernatural for usurping his parental rights!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 12:45:42 AM »
This ep contains one of my all-time favorite bits of dialogue:

Barnabas (with regard to Angelique): "I told you I killed her. I didn't say she was dead."

As I've said before, only on a show like DS could such a line and such a distinction make even the slightest bit of sense!  [easter_grin]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 03:42:59 AM »
Barnabas reveals a little about his condition that he has an animal instrinct to kill. Finally he reveals that Angelique is the witch behind everything and that Trask is dead. Daniel reappears and Millicent reveals she will marry Nathan the next day. She will also put all her money in  Daniel's name which will not please her intended when he finds out. I have to assume that Millicent's parents were as drifty as she, and or, they died soon after Daniel was born before they realized she was always going to be different. It seems Daniel was excluded from will. I'm just going to go with that the parents were as loony as Millicent and didn't get around to putting Daniel in the will before they died.
The whole lunacy about moving Barnabas to the tower and locking him is defies logic, not to mention people to bring the coffin into the house and haul it up three stories. No one thinks to cover the windows and Naomi sees light in the tower windows.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 05:23:59 PM »
Welcome Tower Room! (I think?)

Another pretty good line from this ep.: "What I've been trying to tell you all along is that I am already dead!"

Barn tells Joshua that Angelique threatened to destroy his entire family if he told anyone that she was the witch. Well, really, that happened anyway, didn't it?

I think Joshua wants to confine Barnabas because he thinks that that way he can somehow keep him from killing anyone else. He is horrified at the extent of Barnabas's ruthlessness. Plus as MT notes, Joshua is in the habit of thinking he can control everything around him. And now that all his hopes for the future have been destroyed, he's even more desperate to control his reluctantly homicidal son.

The ice-blue satin gown that Millicent is wearing is the same one that Carolyn will wear to Barnabas's costume party a long time from now.

Very nice scene with Daniel and Millicent. All the poor little guy wants is to go home to New York and get away from this gloomy house. Though Millicent is more than a few sandwiches short of a picnic, she and her brother are very close, and she does her best to comfort him.

Later, Millicent tells the stunned Naomi that she has signed over her entire fortune to Daniel. Naomi can't dissuade her because Millicent says Nathan will be able to support her, and anyway, her fortune doesn't matter to him. All a-twitter at the thought of her bridegroom’s nobility, Millicent goes upstairs to prepare for her wedding day.

According to what Joshua tells Naomi about having to find Ben, poor Ben singlehandedly moves Barnabas's coffin to the Tower Room. Why Barnabas didn't just bat his way there is a mystery to me--maybe he wanted to spare his father yet another shock. Joshua arrives and locks Barnabas in--a useless gesture as he well knows.

Much later, Naomi is wearing a beautiful black robe as she gazes out the drawing room windows at the Tower Room.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 05:43:33 PM »
Joshua has promised to free Vicki - yay!

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 11:26:29 PM »
When was Barnabas' coffin moved from the mausoleum to the Old House?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 12:13:31 AM »
Back in ep. 431, just after Barn's disastrous attempt to resurrect Josette.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 03:11:30 AM »
I always find it fascinating that in some time periods (like this one) the coffin in the basement of the Old House is the same coffin from the mausoleum - but in other time periods (like, say, 1967) the coffin in the basement is somehow an exact duplicate of the coffin in the mausoleum because the one in the mausoleum is still there. Just how does Barnabas manage to get his hands on an exact duplicate?  [easter_huh]  Though I suppose we're not actually supposed to ask that question.  [easter_cheesy]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 03:16:56 AM »
And what a 'modern' casket it is.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 07:45:40 AM »
Just how does Barnabas manage to get his hands on an exact duplicate?
It's a husband-and-wife outfit, passing the family business down through the centuries.  The husband does coffins and the wife does afghans.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 03:20:42 PM »
 [easter_smiley] [easter_smiley] [easter_smiley] Nice to have you around, Lydia!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 05:11:16 PM »
It's a husband-and-wife outfit, passing the family business down through the centuries.

And they must have a PT counterpart as well, then, for Barnabas to have gotten another exact duplicate coffin in 1970PT.  [easter_wink]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 06:37:38 PM »
By the way, Joshua, Naomi, and Sarah seem to have been put in plain pine boxes, or something.   ?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 06:45:49 PM »
Do you mean in the mausoleum? I think they're supposed to be big stone sarcophagi. Joshua would want to be as ostentatious as possible.