Author Topic: DS LABYRINTH Ch. 10, or "I Don't Need No Steenkin' Dream Curse!"  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Yes, it's here. The next installment of DARK SHADOWS: THE LABYRINTH OF SOULS. On TV, we'll see the episode with Carolyn's evil twin; online, we have the episode where Carolyn goes out west.

Next week: Julia Hoffman and Napolean Solo meet the Riddler and Megalito Loveless. Special guest star: Jerry Mathers as the Beaver.

NEW! Chapter 10:
http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey/labyrinth10.htm

Chapter 9:
http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey/labyrinth09.htm

Chapter 8:
http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey/labyrinth08.htm

Enjoy!

[shadow=brown,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: DS LABYRINTH Ch. 10, or "I Don't Need No Steenkin' Dream Cur
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2002, 06:19:19 AM »
Got to it right away, this time! :)

Wowie!!  You sure can come up with some amazing and extremely exciting descriptions!!

I'm curious whether you have the whole story mapped out and know (at least more or less) what is to come, or if you just take it chapter by chapter and see where it leads you.

In line with that, when one has a whole book, one can see how long it is and know whereabouts one is in the story.  If you do have an idea of the whole thing, can you give us an idea of how many chapters, etc.?
Josette

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2002, 06:38:57 AM »
I'm curious whether you have the whole story mapped out and know (at least more or less) what is to come, or if you just take it chapter by chapter and see where it leads you.... If you do have an idea of the whole thing, can you give us an idea of how many chapters, etc.?

In this case, I have 14 chapters mapped out in fairly intricate detail, which is why I've been able to crank these out very quickly. Beyond that, I have some plot notes made up, and I'm guessing it's about four chapters' worth. I do know in advance how the book ends, although there are a few angles beyond the plotted outline that are not completely fleshed out yet.

In DREAMS OF THE DARK, due to the publisher requiring an outline in advance of submitting the novel, the entire book was plotted step-by-step before we ever began writing it. That's not to say it didn't change during the process; it did, and quite significantly, due to input from others involved in the publishing hierarchy. In some cases this was good; in others, it was bad. Very bad. But that's typical in the business, and even moreso when you're working in someone else's universe.

[shadow=orange,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2002, 07:31:38 AM »
Dear Mark,
Once again I come home from a loooooonnnnnnngggggg
hard day and find much to my delight a new chapter
waiting like a surprise gift! You are so good!
I wanted to say thanks before I run to print and read :D

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2002, 10:32:39 AM »
Thanks Mark,  I just finished reading it! Once again, every detail was wonderfully described and the story just as interesting as ever!  Thanks for posting them so soon like you do!!   :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2002, 03:19:43 PM »
Another thoroughly spellbinding chapter. Carolyn's descent into hell? madness? netherworld? was superb.

So, tell us, if you can, was it a battle royal to get your ideas across for Dreams of Darkness?
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2002, 03:03:54 AM »
So, tell us, if you can, was it a battle royal to get your ideas across for Dreams of Darkness?

Not at all, really. My original proposal was accepted basically as submitted. Once Beth and I got to writing it and fleshing out the details, there were lots of revisions, some that we came up with, others that came from Harper and/or DCP. The published version of DREAMS OF THE DARK basically retains the original plot I wrote. Many specific aspects of the story, however, changed along the way.

Many passages that tied the book more closely to the original series were inexplicably excised after my final, approved edit. I've never been able to get a reason for this. The only rationale that I think makes any sense is that either Harper or DCP thought that readers who weren't diehard fans of the show might not have "gotten it." I disagree, but I'm just a writer; what do I know? Some of the edits, however, had disastrous consequences; occasionally, sections of dialogue were removed--right in the middle of a conversation, resulting in a completely nonsensical exchange. A few paragraphs were missing portions of sentences, which destroyed continuity--or the whole structure of the passage. These were not in the page proofs Beth and I examined just prior to publication. Someone did it afterward.

Needless to say, this sort of thing is very frustrating to a writer. But it's all a part of publishing, and I can always take solace in the fact that it's nothing like Hollywood, where any resemblance the finished film bears to what the screenwriter originally wrote is entirely coincidental.

[shadow=navy,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2002, 07:46:42 PM »
:D  Hurray!  My fix for the day!!  Thanks, so much!!

Franimal

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2002, 02:32:39 AM »
Thanks Mark,  another excellent twist [did you just know I am arachniphobic???]                                                                                              [spidr]
[flmthrw]
I have found what I consider the perfect soundtrack for reading yer wonderful work - it's 'The ProjeKcts' 4 disc box set, by members of the current King Crimson.  It's all eerie instrumental, very dark and the bass player uses a 'talker' device,  triggered by playing certain notes - and more than once I have read a section where Dr. Karswell is 'speaking' and I hear this 'sound' coming from the stereo!

and another nice touch with the stars on Carolyn's ceiling.... I remember!

I think this is great, having this story 'serialized', meted out a little at a time.  Being a slow reader anyway, I like to read the passages over and over for complete effect before moving on to more sections!

But I have to read in the daytime now, thanks to that g'dam ghostpost!!

Thank you sir, may we have another? 8)
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
Re: DS LABYRINTH Ch. 10, or "I Don't Need No Steenkin' Dream Curse!"
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2002, 07:10:30 AM »
Yaaaay!!  ;D I loved Carolyn's descent, as Carol put it, into the dark crevises of her mind. Like she's battling her own fears .... ooo it IS like the dream curse! LOL  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D I'm looking forward to more!! SOON pleeeeeeease ^_____^

~Daphne, who is SOOOOO glad that summer school is ending tomorrow  ;D
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^