Author Topic: Has this happened to anyone??  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Has this happened to anyone??
« on: January 11, 2005, 10:40:15 AM »
I came on the board (or tried to) and it showed I wasn't logged in.  I don't know why 'cause no cookies had been deleted on my machine.   ???   I never log out 'cause why bother?  And I'm too lazy to log in.
Anyway, the board wouldn't accept my password - and it did the other day when I found myself logged out.   ???
So I'm like....."what the..."?  After numerous attempts, I tried to get a new password and THEN the board said "no such user".   :o
Well, I thought, "Oh great - I've been deleted.  What the hell did I do?"   :-
So I logged on under my daughter's account to see if I still existed as an entity herein, and I did.  :)
Logged out and retried my name and password.  No dice.
Don't know how I managed, but I finally was able to get a new password.
This is all rather odd and unsettling, particularly in light of MB's warning posts about IE security problems and the fact that my system is acting up.

Has anyone had a similar occurence lately?
(I'd feel a lot better if someone else has had this happen)   :-
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Has this happened to anyone??
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 04:48:08 PM »
Anyway, the board wouldn't accept my password ... Don't know how I managed, but I finally was able to get a new password.

Hmmm. Back on January 2nd I'd backed up the members table in the database, so I just checked the entry for your current password against your previous one and the entries are identical. (Passwords are encrypted, so I can't actually tell what your password is.  ;)) However, there are four error listings in the system's error log (for 02:06:07, 02:06:25, 02:15:59, and 02:16:16 AM ET) and they're all nearly identical to this one:

Guest       Today at 02:06:07 AM

action=login

Password incorrect - Connie

Odd. [confused1]

(But the thing that's really odd is that you said you were able to change your password, yet it's still listed in the database as being the same - and password changes are logged, yet there's no entry for a change.  [idontknow]  And what's even odder is that the members table was reporting that the last time a major change was made to it (meaning not just routinely updating something like members' post totals or Karma) was yesterday afternoon when the system last optimized it...)

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 06:56:38 PM »
My God, you're right.  I tried logging in (with IE) with new password and it didn't work.  Thought, "Oh no - not again."  (Was logged out again)   >:(
Then tried with Netscape with old password and got on.  THEN went back to IE and logged on with old password.  NOW I'm on here with two browsers.  Is something like that possible??

This is all too spooky.  I think I'll go back to a more calming hobby like watching DS - YOU know....a world that's sane and makes sense, like Collinwood.  lol

;D   ???   ;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 07:29:42 PM »
NOW I'm on here with two browsers.  Is something like that possible??

Sure. You can be logged in with as many different browsers as you have on your computer -or any other computer, for that matter.  :)

This is all too spooky.

Well, I've often said that it might be possible that the forum is haunted.  [lghy]

[Ghost00]

I'm just glad that everything seems to be working well for you again...

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 07:52:53 PM »
I'm just glad that everything seems to be working well for you again...

;D

Just one question.  Is there a setting somewhere that might delete cookies when the system is reset?  I'm thinking that might be happening, and I want to stop it.
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 07:57:24 AM »
NOW I'm on here with two browsers.  Is something like that possible??

Sure. You can be logged in with as many different browsers as you have on your computer -or any other computer, for that matter.  :)

Or, even more than once with the same browser.  Occasionally, if things are coming up very slowly, I'll come to the site in a second window.  While waiting for one thread to load, I'll start the next one in the other window.
Josette

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 03:52:21 PM »
   Sorry this is happening to you, Connie. You said you're using internet explorer? You're not the only one experiencing problems with it. But the reason it started giving me problems was b/c of all the pop-ups. After I installed a pop-up blocker, the stupid browser acted like it was possessed! It crashed at every opportunity. Do you have netscape handy? Maybe that wouldn't be as bad. That's what I'm using now... ~DJ

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 04:27:28 PM »
Just one question.  Is there a setting somewhere that might delete cookies when the system is reset?  I'm thinking that might be happening, and I want to stop it.

I'm pretty sure there isn't. So far as I know, cookies won't be deleted unless someone specifically deletes them themselves. However, that's not to say that the cookie file itself can't become corrupt to the point that it will no longer work correctly. But even that's a rarity. (And if it was to happen, more than anything else it would be a signal that something is going wrong with your hard drive.  :o)