Author Topic: Episode 85-Scene with Carolyn and Sam  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
Episode 85-Scene with Carolyn and Sam
« on: August 03, 2004, 09:50:45 PM »
I just watched episode 85, and it had so much good stuff in it, including the first scene with future real life married couple Nancy B. and David Ford....in the whale while Sam was 3 sheets in the wind with Burke.....Carolyn arrives and Sam takes her hand and kisses it......neato......

I do not recall, but is that one of the only scenes in the series where these 2 actors have lines with each other....would appreciate if someone would advise.

Also, the whole idea of Burke "needing or wanting" a drinking buddy is cool......and Sam sure fits the bill.  I loved the Drunken Sailor song so much i recorded it off the video to my computer.....

In addition, the scenes at the big house between a doting mother - Liz and her spoiled daughter Carolyn were priceless.....reminds me of scoldings my mom gave to me back in 1966 when i got too big for my britches.... >:(
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 85-Scene with Carolyn and Sam
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 12:18:14 AM »
that was a great episode...i loved it when carolyn got petulant...but liz put her in her place :P.and let's not forget what vicki saw during this drunken revelry :-X.
i too have heard that barrett and ford only had a few scenes together...which is wierd since they were on the show together for two years.but i guess carolyn didn't often mix with the town riff-raff ::).did millicent and andres' ever appear together?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 03:46:27 AM »
I could be wrong but I believe episode 85 is the only episode that Nancy and David appeared in the same scene together.

Speaking of Nancy she is very underrated in my book.  Having just viewed the entire run of the show through recently, she is great.  I have the bloopers tape and she is in it but I don't believe she made a single mistake.  It's always someone else's mistake or a prop fails while she is in the scene.

Barnabas and Angelique are far and away my favorites but Nancy is a great actress.  I have just come to realize that.

Murph

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 06:49:21 PM »
Like mscbryk, I think they only shared a few scenes.

I finally had a chance to look up the ep numbers for a couple of others that came to mind, murph--

In #94, Carolyn and Joe were at the Blue Whale when Sam and Maggie came in.  Carolyn invited them over to show she had no hard feelings (uh huh) and Sam expressed interest in Carolyn's story about Vicki seeing the ghost of Bill Malloy.

In #308, Sam and Joe dropped by Collinwood to ask David about Sarah.  Carolyn listened and decided the matter was important enough to suggest postponing her trip with David to Bangor.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 07:10:55 PM »
It's my opinion that Nancy Barrett gave the most consistantly excellent performances of any actress on the show.  From spoiled teenaged Carolyn, to demented old Carolyn, to loopy Pansey Faye, her characterizations were uniformly excellent.

I never saw the pairing of Karlen and Barrett as the embattled husband and wife, William and Carolyn Loomis, until the last Sci Fi run of the show.  But after watching them play those roles, it seemed to me a terrible waste that the two actors never got to play "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" on stage.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 12:44:00 PM »
It's my opinion that Nancy Barrett gave the most consistantly excellent performances of any actress on the show. 
Couldn't agree more....

But after watching them play those roles, it seemed to me a terrible waste that the two actors never got to play "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" on stage.

Yes...absolutely, never thought of Virginia Woolf!!!

Patti
What a Woman!