Author Topic: Hate to burst DC's bubble but  (Read 3440 times)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Hate to burst DC's bubble but
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007, 11:17:18 PM »
It was her idea to portray Julia as being in love with Barnabas, and when Dan and Co. caught on to what she was doing, they went with it, acknowledging how well it played.

That was true but they never set her up to show Barn the person she was. Those clothes and that coat with the squares.  >:D  They made us feel sorry for her. What happened with womans lib. ?? ??
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 11:56:14 PM »
Not sure what DC saw in RD.  I have no problem with him when he is calm, but when Peter/Jeff/Ned get agitated, his voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

I guess he saw RD as a handsome young man would could draw in the young teenage girls and housewives.  IMO RD could act but only one way.  All his characters seemed the same to me except they had different names and clothes. What iritates me about RD is that all his characters get SO physical with all the characters: with the women, all touching, grabbing, holding and being rough; with the men: always punching and grabbing.  Even the children he's rough!! Maybe that's why DC wanted him back; to have the physical contact. :P
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 12:16:57 AM »
Long before I became aware of the animosity towards Roger Davis and his characters I did think that as Dirk Wilkins [spoiler]there was a scene he was unnecessary rough with Nora. She was only a little girl, not a piece of luggage! Favorite actor or not, I am appalled that Dan let him get away with that.[/spoiler]

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 01:02:23 AM »
Long before I became aware of the animosity towards Roger Davis and his characters I did think that as Dirk Wilkins [spoiler]there was a scene he was unnecessary rough with Nora. She was only a little girl, not a piece of luggage! Favorite actor or not, I am appalled that Dan let him get away with that.[/spoiler]

I remember that scene too.  Didn't like how he was handling Nora either!  That's one character I'd like to smack for treating her in that manner.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 01:26:26 AM »
Where has it been established that Dan Curtis had a bubble but?  ^-^

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 02:07:45 AM »
Where has it been established that Dan Curtis had a bubble but?  ^-^

Oh my GAWD!!!!!...... [stfl] [laughing4] [stfl]

BWAHAHAHAHA.....!!!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 04:16:58 AM »
My thought's EXACTLY, dom, upon reading this title. Anywho...

Why was RD DC's favorite actor? Was there ever a reason given or is this all just gleaned from interviews conducted? Did DC say something specifically? It would certainly explain why RD appeared so much on the series and was used more often than many of the other actors, but I've never heard of it before this mentioning.

Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 05:38:04 AM »
Somewhat OT ....

[spoiler]Was there ever any talk on the show or behind the scenes about there being some connection between Jeff Clark and Ned Stuart, apart from a close resemblance?  To maybe make Ned the person Peter Bradford's spirit inhabited?  I ask several people commented on the Ned/Jeff resemblance, and I am watching the beginnings of 1897 for the first time, and Barn has commented on Rachel resembling Josette, but has yet to say to Carl, "You remind me of a manservant I used to beat with this cane...."[/spoiler]

;D
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 06:11:10 AM »
[spoiler]Was there ever any talk on the show or behind the scenes about there being some connection between Jeff Clark and Ned Stuart, apart from a close resemblance?  To maybe make Ned the person Peter Bradford's spirit inhabited?  I ask several people commented on the Ned/Jeff resemblance, and I am watching the beginnings of 1897 for the first time, and Barn has commented on Rachel resembling Josette, but has yet to say to Carl, "You remind me of a manservant I used to beat with this cane...."[/spoiler]

There was nothing that would indicate a connection between Ned and Jeff aside from the frequent comments made about the resemblance, though eventually those comments stopped.

And [spoiler]Barnabas never will comment on Carl's resemblance to Willie, though when they met he did seem surprised to learn that Carl was a Collins.[/spoiler]

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 06:29:57 AM »
People were always going off the Wyndcliff when they needed to go or take a break. Roger would be off on Business. Barn would be locked in his coffin. Others just disappeared.   ^-^
LOL!  That reminds me of what KLS said last year at the Fest about when she left the show.  DC told her that she was CRAZY for leaving DS and moving to France and that she was destroying her career.  She told us that [spoiler]hauling Maggie off to Windcliff [/spoiler] was DC's private little joke on her.

Judy
[angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 06:40:25 AM »
Somewhat OT ....

;D
I never heard or read of any actors/directors/executive productors remark on that issue but the last time I saw that storyline I remember Prof. Stokes making the comment that [spoiler]the spirit of Peter Bradford might have inhabited a body and as soon as Peter came to that realization of him being who he was, he was called back to his own time.  Then the person who was the host to Peter's spirit went back to his own life.  That made me wonder if Ned Stuart was the host because of his close resemblance.  All the characters reacted to it for some reason, otherwise why did the writers make such an issue of it?[/spoiler][/color]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 06:52:22 AM »
It's made fairly obvious that Ned Stuart had not disappeared from Sabrina's life for months, so it certainly seems quite unlikely Ned was [spoiler]possessed by Peter.[/spoiler]
(And Stokes isn't the only one who remarks on how Peter had been able to be in the present - Peter himself also explains it in Ep #650.  :))

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 08:10:57 AM »
(And Stokes isn't the only one who remarks on how Peter had been able to be in the present - Peter himself also explains it in Ep #650.  :))

And that would be?  ;D

Judy
[angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html