Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1010  (Read 1065 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1010
« on: November 11, 2015, 08:38:02 PM »
Robservations #1010

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #1010

HVD!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 10:54:47 PM »
The unarmed Larry chases the armed and dangerous Yaeger but loses him. (Even though he just ran Horace through, Yaeger's sword cane is remarkably blood-free.)

Both Yaeger and Larry go to the lab. While trying to retrieve the antidote, Yaeger hears Larry and Sabrina talking upstairs and has to hide. He listens as Larry tells Sabrina about the man he chased jumped over a fence and into the courtyard of Cyrus's house. Larry spots the side door and tries to open it, but Yaeger has locked it from the outside (??). Larry tells Sabrina about finding Horace's body and his suspicion of Yaeger--but he really didn't get a good look at the killer's face. Yaeger is relieved to hear this but alarmed when Larry decides to phone the police from the lab. He knows the police will be watching his house, but he must get the antidote and become Longworth again. Suddenly he smiles as he thinks of a way to do it and hurries away from the courtyard.

At the end of a long and weary evening, Buffie locks up the Eagle for the night.

Yaeger is pacing nervously on another spot at the docks, waiting for Buffie. A moment later, he ducks behind some crates when she makes her slow way home, wearing her cheap blue plastic raincoat. He nearly frightens her out of her wits, but being desperate, he actually apologizes politely enough. What do you want from me? she asks suspiciously. In his most winning, your-best-friend tones, he says, I need you to do me a favor. What kind of favor? Buffie asks, unconvinced. Yaeger is forced to tell her, I need something desperately. Can you get it for me? It’s late, I’ve already put in a hard night and I’m tired, Buffie answers crossly. Yaeger gets impatient and snarls that he has no time for "gentle persuasion." I'm not your property! Buffie retorts (YAY!).

Reverting to his usual self, Yaeger grabs her by the shoulders and snarls, Being tired is better than being dead! You can’t mean something like that! she exclaims, appalled. I need something desperately, Yaeger repeats. I’ll go to any extreme to get it. Already knowing what Yaeger can do when he's merely jealous, she asks resignedly, What do you want? Yaeger tells her she has to get something from the lab, overriding her fears of getting caught. He describes the wall safe behind the map and the little bottle she's to retrieve for him. He takes out a piece of paper with the combination and gives that to her too. (Somehow it slips his mind to tell her that he's just committed a murder and is making her an accessory after the fact, just as Cyrus pleads his work as an excuse not to see her, rather than his engagement to Sabrina.) What’s in the bottle? Buffie asks. Yaeger grabs her again, putting an end to her curiosity. Let me go and get it over with, she tells him. First I have to create a diversion, Yaeger says.

Yaeger phones the lab as Cyrus and tells Sabrina that he's had to stay in Portland one more night. He tells her to go home. Still shocked, she tells him, Yaeger might possibly have committed a murder! “Cyrus” says, Yaeger told me he was going out of town. I wouldn’t put anything past Yaeger, Sabrina says in disgust. “Cyrus” tells her, Don’t worry about me. Just go home. Then he signs off, saying, Good night, my darling. Sabrina hangs up the phone, but we can see that something about the conversation puzzles her.

Yaeger emerges from the phone booth (which seems to be right next to the Greenfield Inn--where he killed Gladstone, whose body has mysteriously disappeared with not even a scrap of crime-scene tape to be seen) and tells the waiting Buffie, Sabrina will lock everything up in ten minutes. Then you can get in. Bring the bottle to me on the beach below Collinwood. I’ll be waiting for you in a cave. This thing gets crazier by the minute, Buffie observes, intrigued in spite of herself. Airily Yaeger replies, Oh, Miss Harrington, what would life be without its share of mystery and adventure? 

Larry returns to the lab just as Sabrina is locking up. She tells him about her conversation with "Cyrus": He sounded strange on the phone, almost as if he weren’t himself. She mentions his uncharacteristic farewell, observing that the only endearment he has every used before is "my dear" (the same expression, by the way, that Yaeger uses for "Miss Harrington"). But neither of them can make anything of such an isolated detail. Larry tells her that the dead man was a stranger to him, but his name was Horace Gladstone. He is amazed to learn that Sabrina met Horace several times in the lab and that he was a friend of Cyrus. Larry tells her about Horace’s phone call and their appointment.

Buffie arrives at the lab and starts to unlock the door, but stops when she hears Larry and Sabrina still talking inside. She freezes when Larry tells Sabrina, Horace Gladstone wanted to speak to me about John Yaeger. I don’t know what it means, but I’m almost too afraid to speculate. Sabrina tells him, As far as I know, Cyrus had no bad feelings toward Horace, they were simply professional colleagues. She and Larry finally decide to call it a night. Larry asks her to have Cyrus phone him in the morning, and they both prepare to leave.

Buffie slips into the lab but has to hide when Sabrina comes back down to retrieve some forgotten item. Once Sabrina leaves, Buffie comes out of hiding, takes out the slip of paper and starts to open the safe.

Yaeger, meanwhile, is waiting on the beach when he spots footprints disappearing under what looks like a wall of rocks. Figuring he still has another half hour before Buffie will arrive and remembering what he told her about a little mystery and adventure, he decides to move the rocks and explore.

Buffie opens the safe and takes out the antidote bottle with its label reading, in big red letters, DO NOT TOUCH!! She looks for a moment at the green fluid inside it, wondering what it is. She shuts the safe and rehangs the picture (getting it right the first time). Then she quickly leaves.

Yaeger finds a passage that he (correctly) guesses takes him below Loomis House. The passage ends in a basement room. The room is empty--except for a chained coffin. What secret does Will Loomis have that he keeps chained up like that? Yaeger wonders. Always on the lookout for something to his advantage, he starts pulling the chains off the coffin....

Yes! YES! YES!!!!!!!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 12:06:27 PM »
LOLed at the yesses DL...

John Yaeger murdered for "peace of mind"... well alrighty then.  Someone in Props must have bought a lot of antique maps in 1967 or so.  One of Asia is hung over Cyrus's safe, and much shtick is done with removing and replacing it.  Big blooper with Yaeger in particular, though anyone in real life could have had that problem. 

Good for Buffie, pulling off a surreptitious entry a la Emma Peel.

Hooray!  Plot thread crossover!  Yaeger spelunks his slimy, dastardly way into the Old House basement, thinks useful things might reside in a chained coffin.  Fear or speculation over why it would need to be CHAINED don't occur to him.  Oh, Cracker Jack, where's my prize?! ... he thinks.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 03:28:38 PM »
Thanks, MT. I think the chains only made the coffin more interesting to Yaeger. I'll bet that like our Willie, he thought it must be full of loot.

There's an even bigger Yaeger blooper coming soon. I suppose we should chalk this one up to anxiety, though.

Emma Peel rules!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 12:03:17 AM »
Yes, witty, audacious role model and lust figure all wrapped up in one, for me, E Peel!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 10:54:14 PM »
Mostly Cyrus/Yaeger stuff here. I don't find any of it all that interesting, other than Sabrina. She knows that something isn't right here and is beginning to put the pieces together, almost as well as Dr. Hoffman would.
Yaeger stumbles into the secret passageway that leads him to the Loomis house basement, where he finds the chained coffin. Big return next episode.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 07:53:59 PM »
Yaeger can't hang the photo over the safe until the last minute. Sabrina and Larry put  huge emphasis on the word Murder!  I always wonder about the use of the wigs. I guess it's just easier than having a hair stylist, and maybe they wanted her to have the awful Dr. Hoffman hair and look.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 08:12:21 PM »
Yes, it was 1970 after all. I suppose a female scientist--even an assistant scientist--couldn't be TOO attractive.  [easter_rolleyes]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 12:18:15 AM »
Well, to no one's dismay, Horace is history. Yaeger scrambles to cover his tracks and needs assistance from Buffie. The drama around the bottle with the antidote reminds me of Alice in Wonderland.
Yaeger tells Buffie to meet him in a cave on the beach. He doesn't really tell her where the cave is. Is there more than one cave? Why does he think that Buffie would be up on that? Of course, the cave just happens to lead to the basement of Loomis House!
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 01:26:13 AM »
My favorite cave.

Offline Uncle Roger