Poll

who's your "favorite" carolyn?

1966 carolyn(spoiled and petulant)
6 (25%)
1967 carolyn(under barnabas' control)
4 (16.7%)
1968/69 carolyn(adam/chris jennings storylines)
4 (16.7%)
parallel-time carolyn(embittered and alcoholic)
6 (25%)
1995 carolyn(aged and insane)
1 (4.2%)
1970 carolyn(leviathan/summer of 1970 storylines)
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: June 04, 2007, 06:59:30 PM

Author Topic: my favorite carolyn  (Read 2785 times)

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
Re: my favorite carolyn
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2007, 01:49:18 AM »
I really thought Carolyn grew up during the 1968-1969 story line. After being abducted by Adam, she came to realize that the whole world didn't always revolve around her. If nothing else, Adam taught her compassion she might have never learned otherwise.

Also, we got to see her with Tony, although not very much, but still, he helped her move somewhat beyond the spoiled rich girl.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 01:33:55 AM »
interesting results...

a tie between 1966 and 1970pt carolyn.quite an impressive showing for the 15 episode parallel time character.

quantity apparently does not always equal quality.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 04:14:47 PM »
Did you mean, perhaps, that the poll results show quantity apparently does not always better quality, rather than equal it? Not that I think you meant this, and the quality of NB performances in both roles was amazing IMO, but it shouldn't necessarily be the case that '66 Carolyn would have beaten '70PT Carolyn simply because she appeared in many more episodes.  ;)  Though, as I say, I don't think that's really what you were implying.  :)  And what I take away from the poll results is that, even though PT Carolyn was in much fewer episodes, the people voting here felt NB's PT performances were on a par to anything she ever did in the much larger scope of '66 Carolyn.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 01:09:58 AM »
My runner up (and I voted for '70PT Carolyn) would be '95 Carolyn.  She was simply brilliant playing a fortiesh crazy woman.  Even the makeup aging her, showing the results of her insanity, making her appear older than a woman her age, was extraordinary.  One of the best NB scenes, in my opinion, was when she was eating grapes - I think it was grapes - while just blabbering on in her madness.

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 04:36:52 AM »
SPOILER, 1995

One of my favorite scenes is Carolyn in 1995 begging Mrs. Johnson not to be dead.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 05:43:46 AM »
I too love the grape scene and her begging Mrs. J not to be dead. Both scenes were very well played by NB. 95 insane Carolyn ranks right up there for me behind PT 70s Carolyn.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 02:43:21 PM »
I pretty much love Carolyn in any shape and form, but I have two personal favorites....when Carolyn was under Barnabas' control and when she 'grew up' as another poster put it during her time with Adam.

I liked Carolyn as Barnabas' slave because she did her first complete 180 turn then.....from the wild, spoiled girl she was at the start of the show to the obedient, zombielike slave she became during her time under Barnabas' powers. Someone complained about Carolyn's compassion for Julia at one point, I think it was great....it proved that even under Barnabas' powers, Carolyn still had some feelings underneath there....she just couldn't exercise it as much as she used to because her loyalty to Barnabas had to come first.

I always loved her relationship with Adam too, she may have seen him as a child, but she showed great compassion for him something he so desperately needed what with the police after him and his creators wanting to kill him. She was very sweet to Adam, I loved seeing that side of her, seeing her care for him and taking care of him and it did prove she had indeed come a long way from the spoiled little rich girl she had started out.