Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0899  (Read 774 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0899
« on: March 08, 2015, 05:28:37 PM »
Robservations #899

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0899

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 09:04:18 AM »
ECS follows Carolyn to Paul's hotel room, and really lets him have it.  It's good to see Joan getting a scene she can sink her teeth into, and throwing herself into it.  Sam Hall wrote it, at least according to the credits.  Look how I hear some good writing, and figure only V Welles could have done it.  That's unfair, I guess.  She did some writing on DS that was credited to someone else, though.

I like Elizabeth's line about Paul just having said: Carolyn trusts him, therefore Liz should.  She calls it blackmail, emotional rather than financial.

Paul runs into a sailor at the Blue Whale who just happens to have info on the Naga, a "creature without a soul"... he's played by Ken McMillan, who also played Rhoda's boss at the end of her sitcom, and the Baron Harkonnen in the 1980s film of "Dune".  Visitors to the Blue Whale from out of town seem to speak like they're all from NYC...

Liz on Paul: "He's a very complicated man, not to be trusted."  That made me think.  Do people generally consider being complicated a bad thing?  Do many people trust simplicity much more?  I hear that someone's "complicated" and think, it might be someone who's interesting, and might have something to say.  Is Liz voicing a sort of reverse snobbery on a writer's part?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 09:41:06 PM »
I love the scene with Elizabeth and Paul's reunion. Makes me wonder whether their marriage was equally stormy.

The merchant sailor is listed as Jack Long in the credits, though his name is never mentioned.

According to my notes, the booming Voice that Paul hears is that of John Harkins, last seen as the Master of Dartmoor.

The reference to Paul's being "complicated" might be a reflection of 1960s pop psychology, which tried to explain "complicated" people in simplistic terms.

Evidently following the sailor’s instructions, in his room Paul is drawing a pentagram on the carpet in yellow chalk and has set a lighted candle at each point but the last. From nowhere a Voice (played by John Harkins, last seen and heard as the Master of Dartmoor) booms, Tonight...payment is due...tonight. The Voice laughs as Paul finishes the pentagram and puts a candle on the last point. You’re not going to get me! Paul says defiantly, but the voice booms out, We will! Tonight...tonight... The Voice stops in mid-tonight as Paul puts a chair in the middle of the pentagram and sits down. He sags back in relief. But the next moment a very slow knock sounds at the door, and Paul is terrified all over again. He screams as the doorknob turns back and forth and the door slowly opens.......

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 11:55:01 PM »
They should have had a lot more scenes like this with Liz and Paul.  I'm surprised she didn't bring up Jason.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 12:25:48 AM »
I don't remember, is Paul aware that Liz thought he was dead for 18 years, was he in on Jason's scheme?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 03:23:30 AM »
Paul and Carolyn both got caught up on each other at the Blue Whale.  Supposedly Jason tricked him too in some way, to get him to run off that night, but I forget how.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 02:48:28 PM »
Paul said that Jason told him to get out of town otherwise Liz would kill him.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 03:21:27 PM »
Thanks, Joey! I didn't remember that.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 01:59:50 AM »
Barnabas; most morose soap character. Bingo!

No,  don't think Liz thought Paul was in on the 'scheme' to scare/blackmail her.

The horror on Paul's face....

Patti
What a Woman!