Author Topic: Watching 1795  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Watching 1795
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2003, 11:50:09 PM »
I have never heard of or seen ground pork.
Is this like ground turkey?

Well, in the sense that is ground, yup.  ;)

You usually had to get it at a butcher, but more supermarkets are beginning to carry it nowadays - at least around here. It's a lean alternative to ground beef and is becoming popular in certain recipes that used ground beef. And it has the added benefit that you don't have to add a ton of spices to it as you do with ground turkey just to give in any flavor.

Of course, in '60s Collinwood, it's doubtful Mrs. J was cooking heart healthy.  [lghy]

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2003, 12:05:38 AM »
And while I never saw "pork pie" on a menu in France, I saw it EVERYWHERE in England......how did this get to be a French Canadian specialty?

Many years ago, my husband and I drove over to Old Orchard Beach.  A sign outside a restaurant said we welcome Canadians and to ask about the pork of the day.  Must be some kind of regional thing.  I would ask some of my friends of French Canadian ancestry but there seems to be a little sensitivity.  There was a lot of discrimination and names like "chinook" and "frog" were common epithets.  I believe that Josette would have faced discrimination because she was Catholic and French.  I could just see Aunt Abigail spitting out the word papist and idolater.  Of coarse,  DC would have found that too hot to handle in the late 60s but it sure would have added another layer to Josette's misery.  She would have had no friends in the village, no priest, and be belittled by her husband's family for her beliefs not to mention her future children being raised as strict Calvinists.(no music, no dancing, no card playing but I guess sex was okay or no more Collins heirs.)

PS.  Raineypark,
Let me know how MB's Salmon pie recipe turns out.  If its good you can pass it on to me.  I probably will end up eating it alone since no one else in my family likes fish of any kind.     
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2003, 12:26:11 AM »
You're kidding!!  You don't live THAT far from me and around here, ground pork is routinely available alone but most often in a package with ground veal and ground beef for meat loaf!!

Have we slipped onto the Food Channel Forum?! :D
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2003, 12:56:50 AM »
ground pork is routinely available alone but most often in a package with ground veal and ground beef for meat loaf!!

I don't think we have ground veal around here. If we do, I can honestly say I've never noticed it, and I've done all my own grocery shopping for at least the last 15 years. But veal cutlets are most often $10-$14 a pound, so who knows what ground veal might be?  ;)

Have we slipped onto the Food Channel Forum?! :D

You know, I think we have.  :D

Hey, maybe we should start a Mrs. Johnsons' Cooking Corner where we could share recipes we feel she would have liked to have servered at Collinwood, if only she'd known how to prepare them.  [lghy]  (As dom points out, Mrs. J's talents as a cook certainly seemed to be lacking (not only Roger, but Jason made disparaging comments about her meals, which she herself even characterized once as "simple"), so I seriously doubt we'd want to share recipes for things she actually might have made.  [b003])

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2003, 01:09:58 AM »
But veal cutlets are most often $10-$14 a pound, so who knows what ground veal might be?  ;)

At Lombardi's it's up to 21.99 a pound.  Some nonsense about finding Mad Cow Disease in a calf in Alberta, Canada, so veal is scarce.

Needless to say, we're doing without my husband's superb Veal Masala these days.... :-

And if we're going to swap New England recipes could we please start with a REALLY good New England Clam Chowder? 
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2003, 01:33:41 AM »
Patti,
        I buy ground pork routinely, I use it with ground beef to make my meatballs.  It is available in most markets around here and I don't have to pre-order it.

Sorry, more food talk.

Patti,
             I hope to start my Christmas Cookies this week and put them in the freezer.  When I was young and foolish I started making about five different kinds and it is expected of me to supply them to work and every holiday get together.   I make a real butter cookie, better known as Heart attack on a plate. I am also insane enough to make a kind of candy, Almond Roca.  I am hopelessy trying to find a tie into DS but am failing.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2003, 01:43:20 AM »
Wasn't Almond Roca one of the strumpets Barnabas sank his teeth into on the docks?  :D

(See Birdie....easy as pie)....and we're back to food!!  ::)
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2003, 01:44:00 AM »
Hey, maybe we should start a Mrs. Johnsons' Cooking Corner where we could share recipes we feel she would have liked to have servered at Collinwood

Talk about a typo perfect for DS!  [lghy]

Of course, that should have read: "to have served at Collinwood".  [wink2]