Author Topic: Gothic Horror in Times Scquare article  (Read 4744 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Gothic Horror in Times Scquare article
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2003, 08:23:14 AM »
Excuse the cynic in me, but a 48 year old male virgin who lives with his parents and can afford to give his "girlfriend" $95,000 sounds like someone with a lot of other "issues."

My first thought was how could an "out of work" man afford to give anyone $95,000 as well as buy an $8,000 Tiffany ring? Either the state of Oregon has an extremely generous unemployment compensation system, or he obviously had a well paying job at some point and managed to save or invest a fairly large amount of his salary. But...

First off, why does he live with his parents if he has that much money?

... perhaps that's why he had so much money to lavish on her.

but there's something VERY not right here with the big picture (and DS has so little to do with it!

Exactly. The real story behind this tragedy seems to be far more complicated than any of the articles have thus far bothered to delve into. But so far as DS is concerned, other than the NY Post article, no one is sensationalizing the DS angle. The Associated Press picked up the Newsday piece, which simply states they met at a DS convention. Considering the other details and obvious twists in the case, I somehow doubt the bit about DS is going to be the detail most people focus on and come away remembering most.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2003, 08:32:39 AM »
It's the reference to DS as the "blood-drenched gothic cult show from the late 1960s" that really chaps my ass. Talk about sensationalistic bullshit.

Well, the NY Post wouldn't know how to frame a story sensibly - and they certainly wouldn't let a little thing like facts stand in their way when sensationalizing even such a marginal connection as DS has to this story might sell more papers. Their bottom line isn't exactly journalistic integrity, after all.

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2003, 09:00:54 AM »
It's the reference to DS as the "blood-drenched gothic cult show from the late 1960s" that really chaps my ass. Talk about sensationalistic bullshit.

--Mark[/glow]

isn't their motto 'never let the facts stand in the way of a good story'????
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2003, 09:53:04 AM »
Well, I can certainly understand the press playing up the DS convention angle.  Their meeting at a Fest is more "interesting" than if they met in the workplace.  Still, I'm sure the whole thing will blow over and the DS connection will be forgotten.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2003, 10:20:54 AM »
Well, I can certainly understand the press playing up the DS convention angle.  Their meeting at a Fest is more "interesting" than if they met in the workplace.  Still, I'm sure the whole thing will blow over and the DS connection will be forgotten.

well let's hope so.  i already have enough trouble with the hubster giving me a hard time when i want to go to fests, etc.  if he only knew, then i'd be given an even worse time over it.  

trust me on this point, ignorance for him in this case is pure bliss for me!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2003, 11:29:05 AM »

--Mark[/glow]

Exactly! "blood drenched?"   I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read that absurd statement.  Obviously, this writer is either very ignorant or hasn't watch too much TV in the past 10 years or so.[smash]

What really gets me is what so many others here have mentioned. And that why on earth was this guy allowed on a plane with a gun?  What happened to all the Airport security that we were suppose to have since 9-11?  Did they forget that fast?!  This is more than sad, this is downright scary!

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline sheilamarch

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2003, 02:26:12 PM »
I really don't see a lot of negative fallout here for the DS fests. We're talking about two grown people (over 45) who both chose to engage in criminal behavior. She apparently decided on a career as a grifter,  and he decided to commit first-degree murder. The DS fest was simply where they met, quite some time ago. They could have met at the Calvary Stampede and come to the same bad end.

For those concerned about firearms on airplanes, they've had to go in checked baggage only, unloaded, for a long time now. Harry Connick Jr. and John Popper (of Blue Traveler) are celebrity examples of people who got in trouble for "forgetting" about that handgun in their carry-on (both were arrested).  The whole declaration process is done under the oversight of airline agents, so if this fellow had filled out the airline paperwork, it means he had no access to the gun at all during the flight.

For me, the creepiest thing about this story is the inevitable memory of a hotel that isn't there anymore, because we lost the World Trade Center to a few boxcutters.  

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2003, 06:46:17 PM »
Sheila! You're back!!! Yay!

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2003, 12:30:51 AM »
Regarding the gun, it's possible that all the luggage was flown in a cargo plane.  That happened when I flew America Worst--I mean West--to Las Vegas.  As it turns out, my flight was delayed 14 HOURS, so while I was stuck in Philly, my suitcase was in Las Vegas.  I joked to the ticket agent that, if I had known there was going to be such a delay, then I would have checked myself as baggage.  Needless to say, she wasn't amused... :)

Regards,

John

Offline ms._hoffman

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2003, 04:49:17 AM »
Some people might think I'm a little off, but after reading the two articles, I find myself feeling sorry for the guy and not the "girlfriend".  Assuming the story is accurate, all I can see is this pathetic guy thinking he's in love with this woman, he's FINALLY found someone he plans on spending the rest of his life with, and all along she's been scamming him and milking him of all this money.  I can't find any sympathy for her at all.  What a horrible thing to do to someone.  Sick sick sick.

My feelings exactly!

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2003, 05:55:23 AM »

This guy obviously wasn't "average", and probably had some problems, but I wouldn't think that just because he's a virgin at 48 means he's gay and denying his sexuality or something.  (Is that what you were saying?)  I mean, I would think there are a decent number of people who go through life and have never had sex with someone.  No??  I dunno.

Connie,

Maybe I'm naive, but I guess I can't imagine anyone going through life without some sort of sexual relationship--unless they're a nun or a priest (and we know that's not really true, is it?--sorry, couldn't resist it!)  I'm not saying this guy is gay, but that could be part of his problem (or he's a closeted priest?)--I hope not, though--I don't think gays need anymore wackos among our ranks.  ;)

Brian

Connie

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2003, 06:32:22 AM »
Maybe I'm naive, but I guess I can't imagine anyone going through life without some sort of sexual relationship

Brian,

Well, I don't find it that hard to imagine really.  I think there are people who never have the opportunity, and then there are those who just aren't interested.
(Maybe I'm the one who's naive).

I don't think gays need anymore wackos among our ranks.

I don't think ANYONE needs more wackos among their ranks.  Wacked out weirdos really scare the hell out of me lately.

Still waiting to have sex,
I am,
-CLC

;)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2003, 06:34:04 AM »
I don't think gays need anymore wackos among our ranks.  ;)

Brian

Hold on to your hat, Brian. A new book is due out making the case that Hitler was homosexual.

Dom

Connie

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2003, 06:47:25 AM »
Hold on to your hat, Brian. A new book is due out making the case that Hitler was homosexual.

I've been hearing that for years.
(Gee....and what an attractive guy, huh!)  LOL

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2003, 09:40:55 AM »

I've been hearing that for years.
(Gee....and what an attractive guy, huh!)  LOL

Me too, Connie. If nothing else, maybe it will take the wind out of a few Neo Nazi sails - but I doubt it.

Jay Leno joked about it last night. He said (among other things) no gay man would ever possess such a weird mustache and bad haircut.  

Dom