Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0442  (Read 1415 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0442
« on: December 04, 2007, 07:52:41 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0442
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 10:14:07 AM »
As Nathan told Trask not to go near the Old House, I thought: "This is how a house gets a reputation for being haunted."

For some reason my attention was caught by the portrait over the mantle in the Old House drawing room when Trask was in there.  The portrait was very unlit, and it seemed possible that it was the 1967 portrait of Barnabas.  I couldn't tell for sure, though, and it seemed unlikely that the crew would have made such a mistake so late in 1795 - but if they didn't, then why was the portrait so unlit?  And then I started thinking about the Collinses moving into the new House and not taking along the portrait - whose-ever it may have been.  It seemed like a very cold thing to do.

I loved the heartbeat as Trask went down the stairs.  He was very brave in those moments, and very cowardly a few minutes later.  Interesting how Abigail came across as braver during her own time of trial in the Old House basement.  She held onto her belief that Victoria Winters was the witch and that she would triumph, while Trask fell all to pieces.

There was an unanticipated detail that I liked today: at some point in the scene in the basement, two candles in the candelabra were blown out by whatever fan was blowing off-camera.  And during the closing credits, nobody had re-lit those candles.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 10:39:53 AM »
I think Trask was a despicable man, but I think Barnabas went too far in his punishment, especially since he got a signed confession from him.  [santa_sad] But those scenes when Barnabas was bricking him up into the alcove were very exciting to watch! [santa_shocked] Indeed, that would be a horrible way to die - to starve to death in total darkness!  (Or... maybe he simply ran out of air.)

One thing that impressed me this time, was how quickly the bricks were laid. Either Barnabas was very fast or time was going by faster than it seemed.  [santa_rolleyes]

Quote from Lydia:
I loved the heartbeat as Trask went down the stairs.
I loved it, too! [santa_thumb]

----- Sally -----
[santa_cool] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 11:40:49 AM »
One thing that impressed me this time, was how quickly the bricks were laid. Either Barnabas was very fast or time was going by faster than it seemed.
I was impressed with what a good job Barnabas did on the brick wall.  It looked as though it was done by a professional.  There's fan fiction waiting to be written about the time Joshua apprenticed young Barnabas to a bricklayer for a few weeks as punishment for behavior unbefitting a Collins.

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 03:24:46 AM »
Abigail's voice summoning Trask to the Old House reminded me a lot of the widows wailing in 1967.

Even though he would have sent Vicki to the gallows without a second thought, I still think Trask dying in this way was awful!  [santa_sad]
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 05:10:21 AM »
Barnabas seems to me to be taking quite a lot of chances living in the old house.  Certainly, someone is bound to see the candlelight coming from the windows eventually, and wouldn't Joshua make periodic visits to it, seeing as it is still an important piece of property on his estate?   

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 03:33:43 PM »
I don't have any sympathy for Trask at all. I remember the smirk he had on his face when Vicki was found guilty at the trial...I just wanted to smack it off of his face. No doubt he would have been smirking at Vicki's hanging if he had lived to see it.

He went to great lengths and dispicable means to convict Vicki....as Barnabas said, Trask showed no mercy or pity at all to Vicki so why should Trask expect Barnabas to do the same to him? What goes around comes around I say.

Having said that, I do think Barnabas would have been wiser just to bite Trask and put him under his power and have him declare Vicki's innocence to the judges IN PERSON.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 05:32:05 PM »
Great to see you posting again too, IluvBarnabas!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 07:42:26 PM »
Barnabas seems to me to be taking quite a lot of chances living in the old house.  Certainly, someone is bound to see the candlelight coming from the windows eventually, and wouldn't Joshua make periodic visits to it, seeing as it is still an important piece of property on his estate?

Back in Ep #431 didn't Ben try to persuade Barnabas how dangerous it was for him to stay at the Old House? But as I recall Barnabas wouldn't hear any of it. But that's our Barn, stubborn as well as reckless.  :-\

Having said that, I do think Barnabas would have been wiser just to bite Trask and put him under his power and have him declare Vicki's innocence to the judges IN PERSON.

Yes! That would have been much smarter. And there may have been a real chance that it actually could have gotten Vicki off. But then again, that wouldn't have been good for the plot, and, well, again, we're talking about Barnabas here.  ;)

And welcome back.  [snow_smiley]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 08:42:45 PM »
Welcome back, ILB! 

I always enjoy it when Barnabas actually displays personal interests, such as when he looks over the Old House after just having arrived, in 1897, and complains about the state of the place.  Now I can't remember what comment of someone else's that I'm responding to, by saying the above...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor