Author Topic: 2007 Fest  (Read 7234 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: 2007 Fest
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 05:08:43 AM »
That's exactly where it was! I think they should have posted a sign or something so people knew about it. I think they just assumed they did.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 05:25:20 AM »
Well you know what? Next time there MUST be a sign.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 06:28:46 AM »
That's exactly where it was! I think they should have posted a sign or something so people knew about it. I think they just assumed they did.

Crazy, I NEVER saw that set. Very cool pic. I also saw you walking around with your Quentin Figure!

Frid's introducing the clips was fun and heartwarming in parts, but PLEASE get an editor, Fest folks. He's on for an hour, by all means let's run clips that are way longer than they need to be (and that we've all seen before) for 75% of that hour.  :'(

This was only my second fest, but lots of fun and I met all sorts of interesting folks this time. 
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 01:31:05 PM »
Returned from the fest late yesterday. I was estatic to see Jonathan Frid for the first time .I thought he was in good spirits and seemed to enjoy himself. I was thrilled when he did the "Tell Tale Heart". I saw him several times in the hotel walking here and there but did not approach him. The weather and Lyndhurst could not have been better. Coming back home to 91 degrees was not something I looked forward to.
I must say that other than Jonathan Frid I was a bit disappointed this year. We arrived on Thursday and hung out in the lobby both Thursday and Friday and for the most part it was dead there. I remember years past everyone was around and you could visit for awhile. I really look forward to those visits in the lobby or bar. Saturday night was busy even though the lobby bar was not open for business. Last time it was open for food and drink but security told me they did not believe it would be busy enough to open this year.Thought that was strange. The ladies of Dark Shadows all looked great.
I skipped the banquet after seeing I was one of the last in the waiting line and went to Ruth Chris instead. My friend Renee and I gave out tickets to some vounteers who wanted to go. After hearing how crammed it was in there I was glad I did it. I knew we would be one of the last tables and just could not imagine Jonathan Frid could go table to table and personalize the photos. I decided I was happy with the unpersonalized one.
I only got to see a few of the members here and some I know their real names but not sure what their profile name is here. Anyway, everyone looks well. Amazing how we all seem to get younger every year isn't it ;D
Prof. Stokes I missed you!!!!!!! :(
Hope everyone made it home ok.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 03:34:18 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their excellent reports on the fest, especially for those of us who were unable to attend.  8)
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2007, 04:24:01 PM »

Thanks to everyone for their great reports and beautiful photographs!  I haven't attended a Fest since 1997 (yikes, that's 10 years!!  :o ) so it's wonderful to hear the reports.

Was there any mention of the recent film announcement, and if so, how is the reaction among the original cast members?  Do they feel positively about the prospect of a DS film?

Thanks!
Cathy

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2007, 07:02:24 PM »
KLS picked Keira Knightley for Maggie/Josette. Lara Parker mentioned Charlize Theron as her choice for Angelique. Both seemed excited by the new developments.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 07:23:42 PM »
Lara Parker mentioned Charlize Theron as her choice for Angelique. Both seemed excited by the new developments.

I remember seeing Charlize on an award show and thinking that she looked exactly like Lara Parker...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 07:46:32 PM »
i was only there for a few hours on saturday so my observations are few.

obviously it was a great treat to see jonathan although i agree that the editing could of been a bit tighter on the clips he narrated.needless to say he was greeted with sustained ovations.

there weren't alot of new offerings in terms of the merchandise.lara,diana and kathryn seem to be plugging the same books as in years past.i believe that lara offered a cd reading of "the salem branch" which i certainly wasn't tempted to go for considering how much i loathed the book.

one thing i did pick up which was very well done was "dark shadows:the first year" book.it's quite nice.there is alot of interesting trivia.for instance i never knew that lara parker originally auditioned for the role of victoria.how ironic is that?

there is also a nice foreward by writer ron sproat.fans of the pen plot will be glad to know that the writers themselves never fully understood it. ::)

the production documents from episode one are included with vivid details of everthing from props to sets to wardrobe.

there is a cool description of collinwood from the orginal abc-tv publcity material...

"the great dark hulk of collinwood looms on the crest of the rocky cliff known as widows hill,overlooking the small maine fishing village of collinsport.the home of the collins family was built in 1830,modelled in the style of an english manor house.there is a large central hall,with wings extending in both directions.two stories in height,a total of forty rooms in all,a graceful carriage road adding majesty to it's entrance,commanding a magnificent view of the ocean,collinwood is the most imposing structure in the area.now however a good portion is closed off;weeds have overgrown the formal gardens,and the few people who live in it...the sole remaining members of the collins family...walk like ghosts through it's dark corridors."

it was nice to see everyone and i'm sorry i didn't get to say goodbye to midnite.
i needed to get back to town early. :-*
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 07:55:08 PM »
Housefly, KLS and Laura gave some fun choices, and I'm glad to hear they seem excited.  Claude, I agree on Charlize- I hadn't thought of her but she would be a great Angelique!  She is very beautiful but she can be creepy, too.  She's also worked with Johnny before (The Astronaut's Wife) so that may be a plus.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 08:18:12 PM »
Michael, I hadn't heard about the new book, Dark Shadows: The First Year, and it sounds stunning!  Thanks so much for quoting that description of the Great House and the grounds.  I just love stuff like this.

Technically speaking, "the first year" includes the intro of Barnabas and the arrival of a certain meddlesome doctor on the scene... but I would guess that this book ends with the disappearance of Laura Collins and the arrival of Jason Maguire.

I had heard that fan vendors were excluded from this event which no doubt accounts for the lack of anything new to buy.  In theory, I would have loved to have come out for Saturday, but I had a very full weekend here trying to get my new house organized and being taken out to lunch by various kind friends who were concerned that I might be getting a little loopy surrounded by my "orgy of hatboxes."

cheers, Steve

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 08:27:27 PM »
Small correction - the CD reading by Lara Parker is of the out-of-print Angelique's Descent, not The Salem Branch.

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2007, 08:43:56 PM »
All in all, I have to say, it was fabulous, despite it being a day shorter than an actual festival. And, the good news is, they've already announced next year's fest -- July 18 - 20 -- a full three days! It'll be in Burbank this time, which should delight the West Coast folks who've had to fly out two years in a row to the EAst Coast.

Jonathan Frid did look great and was quite spry, as someone else said. It was a pure delight to see him. I, too, though, thought it rude of people to "groan" when he couldn't sign all those photos at the actual banquet. Heck -- I don't think I could have done it, and I'm much younger than Frid. He was a sport, and I did see him in the morning. Fortunately, there wasn't much of a line, but someone who was there after I left told me that he was asked to stay and sign other things. I hope he didn't do it. He had to have been exhausted. Still, the tremendous reception he got was heartwarming.

As for the banquet, it was unbelievable how many people were packed into the room. It truly was frightening. Thank God nothing happened!

I just want to publicly state here how grateful I am to Nancy Kersey for all she did to make this happen and for her unbelievable hard work during the event. She deserves a plaque or something -- hey! A medal -- and even that wouldn't begin to cover it. She was a trouper, through and through! Thank you, Nancy, from the bottom of this fan's heart! I only wish I could have grabbed you for a second to buy you a drink!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2007, 09:20:13 PM »
gothick,

the book is available frpm a company called Blue Whale Books.P.O.box 480726 Los Angelos,CA 90048.the book is priced at $17.95 but i got it for 15 at the fest.

the episode summaries do end with episode #210 with willie breaking into the collins masoleum.

give it a look.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2007, 10:24:39 PM »
Thanks again Michael for the info.  With DS I am trying to concentrate on getting rid of my videotapes (replacing them with the DVDs) and I am actually giving some of my books and zines away to deserving fans... but the new book sounds as if it has some lovely material and might be a nice memento to have.

cheers, Steve