Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0365  (Read 2109 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0365
« on: August 17, 2007, 05:29:56 AM »

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0365
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 05:04:52 PM »
I loved this show.  I liked the way that the show opens up with Liz talking to Roger, about what is happening.  Julia says thast David is telling the truth and  nobody has questioned Julia?  It is like we will believe her, even after she has lied to us and said not to believe David.

Julia is so brave, she is willing to have a seance and let the chips fall.  Barnabas is being wimpey and not willing to see what is going to happen. Doesn't he think that Sarah will protect him, she always has even though she is mad at him.

AM did such a great job on the voice of Sarah. I just wonder  how they traded places so fast, and so quietly even wht the black out  and the comotion. We didn't hear them change places.

I think I liked the way that they did the time change this time. The others in some ways seemed kind of strange. Everyone did a great job. JF, GH, and NB.  I can't wait for the next show, I guess they had to do alot of work over the weekend to change the Old house set.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 10:25:38 PM »
Hey, everyone, I'm back!

It was a great episode. Like Julia, I always wondered if Barnabas was afraid Dave Woodard's ghost would show up instead of Sarah's and expose him. Heck, I think Woodard's ghost would do that regardless of whether Barnabas attended the seance or not. Fortunately for Barnabas and Julia, the group got Sarah's ghost as intended.

I think it was kind of silly for Barnabas to make Carolyn put on an act to appear to be possessed by the spirit of Sarah. I know he wanted to further discredit David, but he should have realized if Sarah wanted to speak to the family, that's what she was going to do...in fact maybe it was Carolyn's phony act that actually encouraged Sarah to speak through Vicki when she may not have been planning to speak at all.

SPOILER ALERT:

Has anyone ever wondered why later on, after Vicki returns to the present, why Elizabeth and Roger didn't ask Carolyn why she was pretending to be acting as a medium for Sarah's ghost? I would certainly be curious. Carolyn did express a certain amount of (false) skeptisim about Sarah's ghostly existance, yet she pretends to be possessed by Sarah.

Great episode.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 10:38:32 PM »
Welcome back. ILuvBarnabas, you  were missed.   I did like  the deer in the headlights look at the end of the show.  Phyllis Wick  turning around to Barnabas, how did you get here.

Spoiler:...

A lot of things were dropped after 1795.  Julia and Barnabas were out to get each other. and  afterwards they were not.  David seemed to forget about Barnabas. I did like the show afterwards, how Julia did get in one ding though.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 01:06:31 AM »
It was an almost perfect episode, almost except for just one thing.  After the "transition" of Vicki with Phyllis, the camera pans back in a long shot of the drawing room, an extremely long shot.  It was very climactic and then, to ruin it, there is the microphone boom hanging right in the middle of things.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 01:20:30 AM »
Julia and Barnabas were out to get each other. and  afterwards they were not.

Well, they're still pretty much antagonistic to one another until after a certain other doctor arrives on the scene. In fact, in the first few days after Vicki's return from the past Julia gets to deliver some of her choicest putdowns to Barn.  ;)

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 01:37:09 AM »
Roger laments to Liz that they shouldn't have brought David home. Well, what was he going to do, keep David in Boston indefinitely?

Roger is very undecided on his opinions on seances.

Spoiler:

When Barnabas hosts the costume party, Roger is quite eager to hold a seance.Now in this episode he claims he doesn't like seances. And yet again when Barnabas expresses his skepticism over having one, Roger admits that something interesting just might happen. I wish Roger would make up his mind, either he approves of seances, or he doesn't.  ;D

When Phillis Wick arrives, she asks if this is Collinwood, and Roger affirms that it is, and enlightened, she says she's the new governess to Sarah. But Collinwood was still in the latter stages of being built, so she couldn't have thought herself to be at Collinwood, she would have to be at the Old House.  ???

I love how N.B. and A.M. played the roles of Sarah so well.

This episode heralds all the fascinating events to come, the time traveling back to the past was an excellent idea!  8)
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 02:30:21 PM »
Before the Old House was "the old house" it was the original Collinwood.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 09:59:22 PM »
Off we go into 1795, and once again I watch this episode and do not understand what Julia thinks the séance will do for her.

I really like Dorrie Cavanaugh as Phyllis Wick.  Phyllis Wick strikes me as a bit of a dimwit, and I'm sure Sarah would have run rings about her and Joshua would have had her in tears twice a day and Abigail would have had her swelling with righteous and ridiculous indignation three times a day - but there you are, Phyllis Wick strikes me as a real person, and one of the many fan fiction stories that I will never write because I'm too lazy is about poor Phyllis paying the ultimate price for being in the wrong place at the wrong...um...time.

I wonder if somebody went off to the real Old House to take a bright picture of it specifically for the 1795 storyline.  The house definitely looks newer than it does in the shadowy pictures we see of it in 1967.  Was that bright picture ever seen before this episode?  And what is the sphere hanging outside it?  Or in the porch, or something.  I figure it's about 8 inches in diameter.  Is it a decoration, or a bird feeder, or what?

When Barnabas hosts the costume party, Roger is quite eager to hold a seance.Now in this episode he claims he doesn't like seances. And yet again when Barnabas expresses his skepticism over having one, Roger admits that something interesting just might happen. I wish Roger would make up his mind, either he approves of seances, or he doesn't. 
I remember that, and so I paid close attention today, and decided that Roger enjoyed séances if they were frivolous, but he didn't like them if something serious might happen.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 10:57:52 PM »
That was the first time the Old House looked so new, but in photos Jonathan Frid took at the real Old House in 1795 clothes, it still looked old to me.  Maybe they doctored the photo in such a way it looks authentic.  Or they found a different house looking exactly like the Old House but newer and pink colored.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 11:22:36 PM »
Spoiler Alert.

They must have done alot ow work to the Old House set.  It would have been a very busy weekend.  Just wait and see what happens in the next episide.  I hope that the stage hands got some over time.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 12:57:14 AM »
for me this particular episode is the holy grail of d.s..absolute perfection!

it epitomizes everything i love about the show.it still has the power to give me goosebumps.

at the risk of sounding corny some kind of magic befell the abc studios on november thirteenth 1967 when this episode was filmed.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 01:24:07 AM »
The seance was one of the few scenes I remember from the first time I watched DS back in 1967. It was great! [banana] It is amazing how AM and DK could have changed places so fast! [shkdg] This is one of my favorite episodes. [clap2]

I noticed that after Phyllis Wick appeared, Barnabas made a point of standing behind her.  He didn't want her to recognize him. [winkg]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 09:04:50 PM »
Watching in 2002 I certainly didn't see this coming.    It was just a damn seance, afrer all... they had a million of those, didn't they?    They'd been spinning their wheels whith BC and Julia's notes, Julia killed some time with an orgy of guilt and fear, Barnabas pulled some supernatural powers out of some hitherto concealed orifice, and it seemed they had their hands full just coming up with anything to fill the time.    Shows don't usually jump upward in quality, suddenly, like this.     Every line seems carefully considered, and every moment matters, once 1795 starts.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 05:04:51 AM »
Great episode.

I've never seen the pre-Barnabas episodes, so maybe someone who has seen them can clarify this for me.

Was the ghost of Josette a "confirmed" sighting, enough that everyone believed she existed?  The reason I'm asking this is because I'm trying to figure out Roger's seeming skepticism about the very existence of ghosts.  Why would he be such an unbeliever if he knew of Josette's appearance?

And, come to think of it, why doesn't Josette ever visit Barnabas like she did Vickie when she was in the Old House?  Barnabas is certainly eager to see her.