Author Topic: Looks like DS: descriptions  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
Looks like DS: descriptions
« on: August 05, 2007, 11:57:53 PM »
Hello, cousins:

I have an extremely big request to make.

It's always fascinating for me to read your descriptions when we discuss the episodes, or any other parts of DS.

Being visually impaired (I'm totally blind), it's always nice to hear how others observe the gestures and actions I miss out on.

So here's my favor: I would most appreciate it if you could all describe things in DS such as what Collinwood and the Old House look like, the exterior and interior of each house, or you could just choose a room to describe, whichever you prefer.

Things like jewelry people wear, their clothing, hairstyles, the fountain, the gazebo, the infamous candles, almost anything you can think of to describe would be great!

Fortunately most of the show doesn't rely on visual affects to tell the story, for which I'm grateful, but it's the small details such as characters appearances and expressions on people's faces that I miss out on and find very interesting.

Doubtless I will be pestering everyone for anything that might be forgotten, or as I watch the show, but I'll try not to do it too much.

I hope this isn't too much of a strange request to make.  :-[ :-

I hope this is all right to post, and anyone's help would be most welcome.  :)
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

David

Re: Looks like DS: descriptions
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 06:17:12 AM »
Well, I'll start with trying to describe Barnabas' face, and this could apply both to J Frid &
Ben Cross:

He's aristocratic, very courtly, but with the saddest, mistiest eyes ever.
When he speaks of Josette, or of Roxanne, he tends to turn away from whoever he's speaking to, staring upward into space as he speaks.
At moments like these, he often holds onto his wolf's head cane with both hands.

There's a look of great longing in that face, a sort of half smile, but the deep sadness is there in his eyes.

David

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 06:31:56 AM »
David did Frid justice with that description. Very well said, David. I'll add that Frid is a handsome man, but his good-looks are unconventional, strange.

Barnabas has an odd way of folding his arms sometimes. Most folks tend to lay one hand over the other near the area of the abdomen just below the navel. Barnabas has a tendency to fold his hands higher, at about the level of the diaphragm. It gives him a slightly effeminate, dignified posture.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline tonyblass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 07:07:36 AM »
This is not a strange request at all, considering your situation.  I'm just impressed at your ability to ask for something so honestly and eloquently.  I will try to be as worthy of it as David was.

Angelique is one of the characters who communicates so much in an unspoken way.  One of the hardest thing for any man to understand is how Barnabas could have turned down the opportunity for casual sex with this gorgeous creature who wanted nothing in return (at first).  Of course, I'm not condoning adultery but, come on, she was willing to kill his sister to get what she wanted.  I would call those extenuating circumstances!

But back to her look.  Both Lara Parker (1966) and Lysette Anthony (1991) are beautiful blondes who radiate dangerousness.  The difference is that while Lysette is smoldering and heavy lidded, Lara has these giant blue eyes which peer out cruelly from this otherwise perfect little face.  Lara holds her wide eyes open and stares you down with a haughty defiance.  She is one of those girls in high school - qiueen of the drama department - who is so pretty but doesn't get that much attention from guys because they are afraid of her.  She has a pert little mouth that she holds in a prim, even prissy, way that lets you know she doesn't think much of you or your chances to get anywhere with her.  She knows too much and she's not afraid to hold it over you.  Unfortunately, the barrier that her hauteur creates with the opposite sex is a self-fulfilling prophecy -- she is afraid she cannot be loved and that twists her into being meaner which makes happiness all the more unlikely for her.

Lysette on the other hand is a sullen, almost passive-aggressive little minx who pouts furiously.  She is all wild, unkempt hair and loose, low-cut outfits which show off her most excellent body.  Lara, in keeping with her prim demeanor, usually has her hair done up and favors long sleeved dresses with high, lacey collars and big broaches at the neck.  Lara's Angelique is less approachable but more needy -- she would melt if shown love.  Lysette's version is very approachable but much more dangerous.  She would more likely knife you in the back for past sins but Lara would probably be swayed to forgiveness by a passionate kiss.

Lara's outfits tended to emphasis her cornsilk blonde hair and pale blue eyes, lots of turquoise and lilac colors.  Lysette tended to wear blousy white frocks.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 10:39:18 AM »
Barnabas has an odd way of folding his arms sometimes. Most folks tend to lay one hand over the other near the area of the abdomen just below the navel. Barnabas has a tendency to fold his hands higher, at about the level of the diaphragm. It gives him a slightly effeminate, dignified posture.
I've noticed Joan Bennett do this frequently.  Perhaps it's an old fashioned stage posture?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 01:23:21 PM »
To everyone who put in a description, thank you so very much!!!  :)

You all did such a wonderful job. Please know it is very much appreciated!  8)

Please keep them coming as you think of more.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 06:15:20 PM »
very nice description of angelique.

here goes...vicki.

what can i say.for staters she's extremely pretty.beautiful in fact.she has long black hair which is worn in various styles but the classic vicki "do" is the front pulled back into a topknot with the back cascading down her back.this style is generally finished with a bow.it's quite ingenue-ish,even girlish,but it suits the character's nature.

vicki's wardrobe is the subject of much derision.as you might have heard the predominant item in her closet is a boxy,above-the-knee,sleeveless shift dress.it comes in a variety of colors.she occasionally wears black or pastels but it's usually dark tones like eggplant and indigo.this style is not especially flattering to her but that's what the producers decided she should wear...something about it read as "governess".like many of the female characters on the show vicki got a green coat...mint green to be precise.it sometimes clashed with what she was wearing underneath it but i guess green coats were fashionable at the time.

one particular item of mockery,although not sleeveless,is in my opinion the archetypal vicki garment.its a red,long sleeved trapeze-line dress with blue stripes running down the front and the sleeves.it looks like a dress an eight year old would wear but it's childishness perfectly sums up the character's naivety.she favors a low,squat heel but not a flat.

although the character was supposed to be this poor orphaned girl alexandra moltke actually came from a wealthy family of danish descent.this lent the character an aristcratic air that shouldn't have worked but i think did nicely.alexandra's somewhat flat acting style ended up giving the character a melencholy air that suited her.at the same time she was rather doe eyed and when she fretted over something she'd wring her small hands together.at times she had a girlish,even doll-like appearance.that's it,sometimes she reminds me of a life-size doll.

all in all dreamy i think. :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 06:09:52 PM »
I've noticed Joan Bennett do this frequently.  Perhaps it's an old fashioned stage posture?

more of a focusing tool.  i use something similar on  job interviews.

i've noticed most of the people on the show do it.