Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0871  (Read 775 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0871
« on: January 27, 2015, 06:52:09 AM »
Robservations #871

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0871

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 12:55:09 PM »
Angelique is a born showman.  After coming into the Rectory or wherever (entering from other side of room?) to meet Thayer-Q and closing the door, she then opens the door again so Barnabas can make his big surprising entrance separately....   and behind door #2 we have...  The whole plan of Ang/Barn/Julia is revealed.  It was a "doppelganger" in the coffin.  The trapping in the mirror worked for me this time.  She brought it earth from "the newest grave", addressing how it need not be from the original grave, now.  What if the grave's a room?  Dust bunnies instead of earth? 

So Barnabas was in yet a third sea cave?  Getting an injection from Angelique?  So he really was ill, asking Aristede in his stupor for help. 

Selbtofi toys with wildly gesticulating Tate.  He says to him, "You've got trouble with your hands."  Yes he does, or Roger Davis does, legendarily, if that's a word...  CDT performs another of the free services so many people provide for Petofi, on a vague unpromise of help from the Hand, in this case, being an I Ching guinea pig.  Tate determines that he's seeing October 28, 1969.  If this was the air date, maybe this added a strange immediacy to it all...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 06:21:12 PM »
Love all those wonderful entrances, especially Barn's. Not the last grand entrance he'll make either. I was actually very touched when Barn and Angelique tell ThayerQ that they'll fight Petofi together. You are no longer alone, Barnabas assures him. This is part of my plan, he continues. I contacted Angelique, and now you. We will fight Petofi together, even if the situation is worse than I thought. We couldn’t tell you the whole plan until now, Angelique adds, but now we will tell you everything. Barnabas begins by saying, When Julia Hoffman arrived from the present (i.e., 1969), I knew I could be cured of vampirism, move more freely and fight Petofi.
Although: It is difficult to share his optimism, since Julia was never able to cure Barnabas in the present, even with modern medicine and equipment. But then again, he did make her speed up the treatments, thereby causing them to fail.

I haven't been to Maine but I've been in the general area. The action of the water carves out a lot of sea caves, so Barnabas would have had his pick and no doubt found a nice, comfy one. After all, no one could know Collinwood better than he does! Angelique's big doppelganger reveal has always been fun. I'll bet the fans loved it at the time.

Quentin actually has come a long way. He tries to help the wildly gesticulating Charles, but Charles pokes himself in the eye and refuses to believe that ThayerQ actually is Quentin--until it's too late.

According to my notes, this episode first aired on October 28, 1969.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 07:08:39 PM »
Oh, I took for granted this was the sea cave that was accessible from the Old House, the one Maggie used to escape from the cellar. And while I'm on the subject, does anyone recall if the Old House basement is referred to as the basement or cellar? And the same for Collinwood? Perhaps both are referred to as both?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 07:31:14 PM »
The place in which the visible action takes place is the original cave Barnabas hid in.  Angelique is held prisoner here by Selbtofi and Aristede.  A little earlier, though, a second cave was revealed to us, that we saw the inside of, and that was a part of the Ang/Julia plan to bring Barnabas back.  It was rewatched by a trap door in the woods, and had been done over to serve as a little harbor for boats. 

Evan Hanley, working now for Selbtofi, followed Ang there, then Selbtofi went himself, caught Ang, and switched her to Barnabas's original hiding cave (which now has two doors, one in back asnmd one at the entrance).  She escaped.

While all this was going on, Ang held prisoner, the Barnabas plan was underway.  It sounds as if a third cave was used to hide him and treat him.  We never see this cave onscreen.  It's only talked about in the explanation of the Plan.   Maybe Barnabas was originally in the cave with the boat docks, cave #2, but scrammed when that cave was found out about.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 07:46:04 PM »
Dom, sorry about a bad typo in the above.  Somehow when I talked about cave #2 being reachable by a trap door, "reached" posted as "rewatched".  Totally confusing.

I had to make a choice between peeing, and modifying my post, before my minute or so ran out.  I chose peeing.  Only history can ultimately judge whether I made the right decision.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 08:16:12 AM »
History is on your side, Magnus. Thanks for the explanation and being so thorough about it.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 08:48:31 AM »
You're very welcome, dom... It's kind of in my self-interest to have you staying around in the WP.  Posts like that are good brain exercise, something I need these days...

We're coming up on my first total circuit of the Watching Project.  I jumped in at the start of Leviathans.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 03:33:28 PM »
Congratulations, MT! You are a great traveling companion!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 03:02:22 AM »
Very much reciprocated, DarkLady.