Author Topic: Chris Jennings  (Read 4231 times)

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Chris Jennings
« on: April 15, 2005, 01:33:45 AM »
I have always wondered if Don Briscoe had decided to stay with the show until its end, if the show would have lasted longer.

Please answer the following questionarre.

(1) What is your favorite Chris storyline or time period?

(2) What would you have wanted for Chris if the character had stayed until the end, or what do you see what the writers could have done.

(3) Who would Chris ultimately end up with if it was your choice?

(4) How did Chris' parents die?

(5) Would the show have lasted or been better in it's final years had Chris been present?

Thanks for answering!

Konnie
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: Chris Jennings
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 06:11:43 AM »
I have always wondered if Don Briscoe had decided to stay with the show until its end, if the show would have lasted longer.

Unfortunately, I think Donald had to leave the show due to some personal problems.  I don't believe he actually 'decided' to leave, per se.

His first storyline was great.  He was such a sad character.  Those '68 episodes with him were great.  I liked his scenes in the Leviathan storyline as well. [spoiler]I remember seeing the '68 reruns as a youngster and was horrified, but darkly amused, that he killed Mr. Drummond from Different Strokes (Mr.Welles the Innkeeper)! That scene was pretty surreal for someone growing up in the 80s! Heh.[/spoiler]

(2) What would you have wanted for Chris if the character had stayed until the end, or what do you see what the writers could have done.

My heart hopes he would have eventually found a cure for his lycanthropy.  That's what I would have liked.  I think he would have tried to build a life for himself, Sabrina and Amy.  However, he was such a tragic character and given the nature of the series, I realistically think it would have ended badly for him.  I don't think it would have played out exactly like Sam Hall outlined though.  I speculate someone would have killed him with a silver bullet... But, he'd come back from the dead later of course!         

He would have ended up with Sabrina, but he would have killed her eventually.  That part of the Sam Hall article, I can definitely see happening.   

A car accident sounds reasonable.  But since it's DS, more ominous goings-on may have taken place...

(5) Would the show have lasted or been better in it's final years had Chris been present?

It would have been great to have him and Amy as part of the Summer 1970 scenario.  I don't know if it would have extended the series though.  It seems most of the folks behind the show wanted to move on by 1971.  Chris would have certainly been a welcome addition to the cast of characters though IMO.

Thanks for answering!

Thanks for asking!

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 06:49:38 AM »
(1) What is your favorite Chris storyline or time period? - I like when he first comes on the show. I love his scenes with Amy (his first scene with her is great), as well as with Barnabas (especially the scenes after Barnabas finds out the secret). I also like his interaction with Carolyn.

(2) What would you have wanted for Chris if the character had stayed until the end, or what do you see what the writers could have done. - I would have eventually cured him, but not without some conflict first. ;) I think I would've had Carolyn find out his secret and have the two of them deal with it.

(3) Who would Chris ultimately end up with if it was your choice? - Carolyn. I don't care for Sabrina, and I thought he and Carolyn would've made a great couple.

(4) How did Chris' parents die? - Don't have any thoughts about it, other than in DS, it could've been something supernatural. :)

(5) Would the show have lasted or been better in it's final years had Chris been present? - I honestly don't think so, even though Chris is a good character.

Offline Penthea

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 07:43:07 AM »

My favorite Don Briscoe character was Chris Jennings the werewolf, so I would have to say 1968-69

I would have liked to have Chris cured of his curse and also [spoiler]I would have liked to have seen the Jennings' family finally acknowledged as part of the Collins family[/spoiler]

I would have liked him to have ended up with Carolyn, I thought that as a couple they were so cute together.

A car crash

(5) Would the show have lasted or been better in its final years had Chris been present?

I think the show might have been better in the final years if Don Briscoe was on it, but I don't think that it would have lasted any longer than it did.

Penthea

Offline Bsatellite

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 08:37:11 AM »
Chris Jennings was a characte that was nice interest of Carolyn but it would had been cursed just like all things in Collinwood.

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 06:08:36 PM »
A: When Chris first comes to Collinsport and eventually befriends Barnabas & Julia, though I wish he was on longer in the 1970PT story. As Chris Collins, family lawyer, he might have been a contender while enjoying a full moon or two.

A: Have him cured of his curse, but not before he attacked someone and made THEM a werewolf - and then he'd have to take on Barnabas & Julia's role as protector (of his victim). Women's lib was happening then: how about a female werewolf on DS?

A: Gothick, Jean-Claude, Heather, Jennifer, Connie, me... oh, you mean who he'd end up with "on the show"?! I wished he'd dump Sabrina, have a fling with Julia, and settle down with Carolyn.

A: Hopefully quick and painlessly.

A: Might not have lasted longer, but Briscoe was nice eye candy. Also, storylines like his were simply dropped with little explanation, so it got easier for some viewers to become detached from the show towards the end as the writers played loose with favorite characters.

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 03:49:03 AM »
 What would you have wanted for Chris if the character had stayed until the end, or what do you see what the writers could have done.

My heart hopes he would have eventually found a cure for his lycanthropy.  That's what I would have liked.  I think he would have tried to build a life for himself, Sabrina and Amy.  However, he was such a tragic character and given the nature of the series, I realistically think it would have ended badly for him.  I don't think it would have played out exactly like Sam Hall outlined though.  I speculate someone would have killed him with a silver bullet... But, he'd come back from the dead later of course!         

In Charles Troll's continuation of the series, Chris does find a cure for his lycantrophy.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 04:04:13 AM »
In Charles Troll's continuation of the series, Chris does find a cure for his lycantrophy.

That is true, and indeed it was an amazing, great fanfic opus that CDT produced.  I loved it and could absolutely visualize everything.  For the most part, it really kept true to the series - except for the very end IMO. 

Nevertheless, that's CDT's version of what might have happened.  I do think Chris might have eventually found a cure, but would have later reverted somehow.  Either that, or things would have somehow ended in tragedy.  It would follow the pattern of most characters in DS.  There's always a longing, tragic quality that follows most them.  As much as we wanted to see things work out nicely for our fave cursed family (of which Chris was a member), the writers delighted in having dark things happen to them again and again.  I would have loved for Chris to have found happiness and a cure, but you just know it would have been short lived.  That's just usually the way the cookie crumbles in the DS world.  Plus, who doesn't love a werewolf, eh?  AroooOOoo! 

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 06:55:47 AM »
I would have liked for him to find a cure for Amy's sake . It's sad to lose someone tou love. :'( The last time she lost someone she loved, she suffered a breakdown and had to go to Windcliff.

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 06:47:24 PM »
(1) What is your favorite Chris storyline or time period? - I like when he first comes on the show. I love his scenes with Amy (his first scene with her is great), as well as with Barnabas (especially the scenes after Barnabas finds out the secret). I also like his interaction with Carolyn.

I love his scenes with Amy too. I like his fisrt scene with her. I also like when Chris takes her back to Collinwood after her first encounter with the Leviathans and she hugs him and tells him she loves him. I think that was such a sweet scene.

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 06:52:51 PM »

A car accident sounds reasonable.  But since it's DS, more ominous goings-on may have taken place...

Sounds like what happened in Harry Potter. His Aunt and Uncle tell him that his parents died in a car accident. But later on Hagrid tells him that his parents were killed by an evil wizard.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 07:14:06 PM »

Sounds like what happened in Harry Potter. His Aunt and Uncle tell him that his parents died in a car accident. But later on Hagrid tells him that his parents were killed by an evil wizard.

How convenient!!  DS actually HAS an Evil Wizard!!  Or didn't they ever call Nicholas Blair a wizard?........ [idontknow]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 12:51:56 AM »
How convenient!!  DS actually HAS an Evil Wizard!!  Or didn't they ever call Nicholas Blair a wizard?........

I think, IIRC, the only time they ever actually identified Nicholas Blair's...er.. magical inclinations was in a scene with Nicholas and Vicki.  VIcki accuses Cassandra of being a witch, and Nicholas laughingly says, "If Cassandra is a witch, I suppose that makes me a warlock?"  Vicki grimly responds, "Yes."

Count Petofi is actually more the wizard/mage type.  There's actually an earlier thread about this subject somewhere.

~PennyDreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 05:36:47 AM »

(A) Chris had such a fresh sweet face when he first arrived to Collinwood, although behind his eyes you could see his inner torment, what he was going though and trying very hard to handle it by himself, so I must answer when Chris first appeared.

(A) I believe I would have liked for Chris to have sent Amy off to boarding school in England with Elizabeth's help, Sabrina was taken back home by her brother Nate for her own protection. while Julia and Barnabas worked on a cure for Chris... and in the end Julia would find the right hypnotic trance that would cure Chris.

(A) Just to be different I would have love to have seen Chris become fond of then later involved with Maggie Evans after she and Joe split up.

(A) Had I been a writer I would have had the Jennings parents die in a stranger fashion then a mere car accident... while driving home from a funeral in Boston they were caught in a freak thunder storm and a bolt of lightening struck there automobile killing them instantly.

(A) Had Don stayed, Dark Shadows would no doubt had been different depending on his role of course, although I doubt it would have lasted any longer.

Thank You Konnie for asking....  :)
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline nedstuart

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 09:28:18 PM »
1) My favorite Chris storyline is when he and Sabrina are held by Bruno.

2) A cure for him

3) Carolyn

4)Maybe they was killed by silver bullits

5)I think the show would have been just as good with Chris in it in the final years because I feel Don Briscoe brought alot to the show as an actor.