Author Topic: most annoying d s character  (Read 7400 times)

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: most annoying d s character
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2005, 05:14:30 PM »
how about both of craig slocums characters:noah gifford and harry johnson.not just annoying but neither character served much of a purpose at all.bringing the actor from the 1795 story to the present was pointless.
both of his storylines could just have easily been told without him.

This is another case where the actor "looked" the part but couldn't act very well. I found him slow and very self-conscious. Some people really like the characters and actor. I've seen whole websites devoted to him.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2005, 06:32:41 PM »
a website devoted to craig slocum?that's funny.i just checked the almanac and he only appeared in 17 episodes.
i guess for some it's not quantity but quality. ::)

sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2005, 08:17:56 PM »
a website devoted to craig slocum?

http://rusty_slocum.tripod.com/slocum.htm

It looks like she got her hands on some rather obscure movies since the last time I saw it.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2005, 12:54:39 AM »
I have to say that Daphne Harridge annoyed me.  Ugh!  I think she may have actually hastened the show's demise.  I just couldn't see what the fuss was all about with her and Quentin.  I thought that scenes between her and Gerard were much better than the ones with Quentin.

Thank GOD I'm not the only one!!!

I normally have to opinion of Kate Jackson; but I cannot STAND!! her on DS & to me, it's the beginning of the end.

HATE HATE HATE HATE Gerard Stiles  (soooo much the Quentin wannabe).
Could NOT stand Eve.
The ENTIRE Cyrus/Yaeger/faux Sabrina arc....AAHH!!!

Whoosh...I feel better too!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2005, 02:30:55 AM »
I could never see the point of Slocum's characters either.  It seemed like they were parts created to give someone work or something.  I loved Mrs. Johnson's attitude toward him though!  I always get a kick out it.  She's so annoyed and fed up with him all the time!  She was so great.

It looks like she got her hands on some rather obscure movies since the last time I saw it.

Was Mitch Ryan on Ryan's Hope?  In a couple of the pictures on that website there's an actor holding a baby and it LOOKS like it could be Mitch Ryan.

:)
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2005, 05:01:45 AM »
 I thought Sheriff Davenport, both as a human [spoiler]and as a zombie,[/spoiler]was kind of annoying.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Penthea

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2005, 12:23:00 AM »
Most annoying characters

Men:
All the Trasks
Dr. Lang
Jeff Clark
Ned Stuart
Jeb Hawkes
Cyrus Longworth/John Yaeger

Women:
Abigail Collins
Hallie Stokes
Carrie Stokes
Amanda Harris/Olivia Corey
Sabrina Stuart RT and PT

Penthea

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2005, 05:54:51 AM »
PT 1970 Quentin.  He shouted and bullied his way through the storyline, treated his bride like a child, and let the staff walk all over him.  And that orange plaid sports coat he often wore didn't endear him to me either.

OMG! ::dying::That is too good. I have to agree with you there. PT Maggie and Quentin totally ruined that storyline for me.

Sarah Collins was annoying, especially that ghost, but I think that had more to do with her DAMN THEME MUSIC!

Amanda Harris, hands down. I think I actually did a dance when she died. The only time I was ever wowed by something she did was

[spoiler]... in 1970 when Grant/Quentin was leaving her and she cried out for him not to leave her. The one and ONLY time I ever felt anything other than annoyance at her character.[/spoiler]

Vicki in 1795. Oh. my. God. I wanted to reach into the TV and strangle the girl, especially in the beginning where she kept blurting out stupid things that only served to make people suspicious of her.

Other than that I can't really think of anyone, except maybe Peter/Jeff. All his scenes with Vicki make me want to hit myself in the head with a brick.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2005, 06:05:27 AM »
(I forgot how to do spoiler text!) So SPOILERS!

You just have to put the word "spoiler" in brackets before the text, and then "/spoiler" in brackets after the
text.

All his scenes with Vicki make me want to hit myself in the head with a brick.

[lghy]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2005, 06:23:01 AM »
Aha! Thank you! (I was staring at the icons there up above the message for like 10 minutes wondering where the hell the spoiler button was!) Go me!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2005, 03:10:12 PM »
Every single character C Pennock played, with the possible exception of the 1840 wheelchair guy, who was occasionally an enjoyable weasel.    Melanie, was that 1795 Carolyn?   Yes, really annoying.    What, Charles D Tate?   How about his decenarian self in 1970?    That's one great crazy old guy, as far as I'm concerned!   And Dirk Wilkins had that great scene, where he role-reverses with his good friend Judith!     RC just loves going nuts, on-screen!

All the boyfriends were boring and utterly steadfast, normal, and as exciting as dirt.    Burke and Joe I'm thinking of.

Any Trask, ANNOYING?!     The screen loves him.  He's golden.

Bruno I'll agree with.    I liked Amanda for trying to screw Greg Trask over, though not in the way he might have preferred.    It's hard to have anything against her when you hear about her "origin", too.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2005, 07:37:53 PM »

Ok, I now officially found my most annoying DS character.  I was watching one of the early eps the other day (episode 44).  Collins banker John Harris was quite annoying.  His flat-out misogynistic comments about Liz needing a man (Ned Calder) to put her life in order were extremely annoying.  I also got a "dirty old man" vibe when he was talking to Carolyn.  Ugh.

~Penny Dreadful~   
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2005, 02:03:21 AM »
PT Quentin & Maggie: The writers could have done something different to salvage this storyline. But watching two newlyweds bicker like idiots, when you have no emotional investment in their relationship is NOT riveting television.

Ned & Sabrina Stuart: Personally I wanted to push the two of them off Widow's Hill and be done with them. I was hoping they'd forgotten about them by the time 1897 came to end, they forgot about Ned, but unfortunately left Sabrina in the loop. [spoiler](GOD! THE DAMN MOON POPPY!)[/spoiler]

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2005, 03:10:32 AM »
Hi -- This was a real interesting thread, wish I had been here when it was fresh.  However, I can't resist posting a few thoughts of my own.

Ned Stuart -- I kept wishing the werewolf would eat him slowly and messily.    [Wolfie]     Annoying abrasive and so bullying and abusive! [violent1]

Amanda Harris ties with Ned.  One dimentional, whiney --altoghether annoying.  Joke between some friends is that there was a script mixup, and she was originally one of Barnabas one dimentional wimpy SYTs.  That overnight "once in a lifetime love" that we are TOLD EXISTS BUT ARE NEVER SHOWN BEHAVIOUR TO SUBSTANTIATE just does not cut it. No motivation shown. Textbook example of "tell not show" writing.  Not to mention that she would have been an acceptable doxy for the original self absorbed Quentin but NOT a "true love" for the more mature responsible man he had since become.  The Orpheus Euridice scenes are SOOO painful.  As a long time Indiana Jones fan I kept saying "Oh my God its Willie Scott -- only NOT played for laughs!  I kept hoping she'd fall off the bridge and get eaten by alligators.....  As Prof Stokes so aptly put it  [5363] [5363] [5363] [5363]

Then there's Maxim and Mrs. No Name DeWinter -- oops I mean Quentin and Maggie Collins.  I tend to be slightly more forgiving of THEM though, because they were trapped into it by the source material.  When they decided to do "Rebecca"  they got stuck with the mousy no spine Mrs didnt even have a first name DeWinter and her arrogant hotheaded spouse.  [stupid] That one DID kill his first wife though, but he made up for it by NOT wearing a horrible orange plaid jacket.....
And here's a final silly point to ponder.  On soaps, according to my (now late, unfortunately) best friend who was a big soap fan, daytime soaps often required their actors to wear their own clothes when the setting was present day.  Imagine if you will the tongue in cheek scenarios that might explain Selby actually OWNING that Orange thing. (OK, I know that oogly plaids like that were in style then, but the silly explanations are WAY more fun). [crazy] [crazd]

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2005, 12:29:00 AM »
Hi Pansity,
Love your avatar. I was wondering, if Amanda hadn't been written as the so called love of his live for Quentin would she have been so bothersome? I think everyone wanted to see Quentin realize that he loved Beth. It has been so long since I saw Donna play Amanda that I can't remember how bad she was.

Misa