Author Topic: Will the REAL Angelique please stand up!  (Read 6697 times)

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
Re: Will the REAL Angelique please stand up!
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 01:52:42 PM »
The irony, and the power, of that scene between B and A is that if Barnabas had recognized his true feelings in the first place, he would have saved himself and everyone else a great deal of pain and suffering.

yes, and  it would of cut the DS series run on ABC by 4 years [ghost_mad]
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2008, 05:31:21 AM »
Personally, I love that scene because I believe that Barnabas and Angelique are true soul mates.  I also believe that Barnabas never really loved Josette.  If he truly felt that Josette was the great love of his life, then why was he sneaking around with Angelique?  I feel that he viewed Josette as the ideal woman for someone in his social position, and over the years, built her up into a mythical creature.  I believe that Angelique was the one he really wanted, and that Josette was the one he felt that he should want...

...I still think Angelique is the best soulmate for Barnabas.

Go Claude North and Miranda!!!!! [cheer]

Judy
[9366]
[...quotes edited for brevity's sake...and we all know Brevity is my middle name... [stfl]]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2008, 07:23:54 AM »
Angelique is hateful and doesn't deserve one ounce of pity.  I do love to hate her though.  YOU will never convince this die hard BULIA fan that he and Angie belonged together. [ghost_tongue] [ghost_wink] 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2008, 07:28:06 AM »
Ang Wins-- End of 1840 not so problematic for you I'm guessing?!

Wasn't the Barnelique tryst before Josebarb?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 03:10:37 AM »
Ang Wins-- End of 1840 not so problematic for you I'm guessing?!

Correctamundo, Mr. Trask!!!

Wasn't the Barnelique tryst before Josebarb?

Looking at the quotes Midnite provided, kinda sounds like the same time. 

B:  You see, it was a mistake. Oh, I know it was wrong to say it this way, but, well, it's my fault.  I know it was my weakness to...
A:  (wounded) ... love me.
B:  I love Josette.
A:  (angry) But you came to me.
and
B:  Because, Angelique, I didn't know that we were going to be married then.  To be honest, I thought I was in love with Josette but I didn't realize she was in love with me.  But now that we've written, (pause) well, you and I... It's impossible.
A:  Are you sad about it?
B:  What good will it be to admit that?  We both have different roles to play now.

Somehow, all I can hear is Han Solo going, "It's NOT my FAULT!" 

Judy
[9366]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2009, 07:15:05 PM »
Wow, lots of great interpretations here. It shows how great DS is that such completely different yet equally valid interpretations can be done.
Personally, I think Barnabas did love Angelique but rejected her initally out of class concerns, which was very realistic for the time. Barnabas courted Josette primarily thru letters, and I think that he saw her in a romaticised way. Their relationship seems more based on his ideas of courtly love than a real partnership imo. He loved her, but as they were kept apart he became obsessed with her, just as Angelique was obsessed with him.
Barnabas showed how blind he could be to real love with Julia, and was impulsive and fickle with his emotions, falling in love with one pyt after another, most of them being stand-ins for Josette. Than he really though he could hold Maggie prisoner, dress her in Josette's clothes and put her in Josette's room and make her be Josette says a lot about how Barnabas loves Josette, more like a very prized possesion than a person. At the very least the fact that Barnabas tries repeatedly to make other women become Josette shows he's very disturbed in realtion to how he views women and love.
Given how fickle Barnabas is it seems very in character for him to declare his love to Angelique once it's too late to make any difference. But it's one thing to make a foolish declarartion in a heat of passion, making that relationship work long time would've been much more difficult.
Personally, I prefer to think that Barnabas did eventually come to his senses and marry Julia, but once she's died a natural death from old age, if he were still around as an immortal vampire, it seems likely he'd fall into Angelique's arms again, at least until the next Josette look alike came along.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2009, 02:11:04 AM »
Barnabas showed how blind he could be to real love with Julia, and was impulsive and fickle with his emotions, falling in love with one pyt after another, most of them being stand-ins for Josette. Than he really though he could hold Maggie prisoner, dress her in Josette's clothes and put her in Josette's room and make her be Josette says a lot about how Barnabas loves Josette, more like a very prized possesion than a person. At the very least the fact that Barnabas tries repeatedly to make other women become Josette shows he's very disturbed in realtion to how he views women and love.

I don't think Barnabas saw Josette as a prized possession, at least I saw no evidence of it. Nor do I think his love of Josette was fickle (at least before the curse). I think he honestly was deeply, madly, passionately in love with her, for who she was. I always think the reason he became so obsessed with her, or rather the memory of her, was he felt cheated out of the life they should have had, had it not been for Angelique's treachery. I do think that his feelings for any woman he saw as or tried to make into the image of Josette were fickle, with the exceptions of Vicki [spoiler](once he got rid of the notion of trying to turn her into Josette)[/spoiler] and Kitty Hampshire, [spoiler]who was the actual reincarnation of Josette).[/spoiler]

Once Barnabas was cursed, however, his love turned into an unhealthy obsession. He did try to resist attacking Josette at first, however, his overwhelming desire for her became too much. When he's released from his coffin in 1967 and sees Maggie, he is too fickle by this time to realize that this woman was NOT Josette, nor could she EVER be Josette no matter how much she resembled her. Same with Rachel Drummond. And to a degree, even Vicki even though she didn't look a thing like her.

(edited by admin)