Author Topic: Meeting Adrian Paul  (Read 331 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Meeting Adrian Paul
« on: August 02, 2021, 01:46:52 AM »
I'm back from Terrificon. It was a long drive to The Mohegan Sun Convention Center in lovely Uncasville or Montville, depending on who you talk to. Sunday was a good day to go. It wasn't too crowded and the lines were pretty manageable. Kudos to whoever was running things, as everything went smoothly, unlike the disorganization that I've experienced at other events in the past.
Adrian Paul looked pretty damn good for 62. He was polite and cordial, though I can't say that he was overly chummy. I did ask about Dark Shadows pictures. He said that he didn't have any but that he really should because he's had requests for them at other shows. He did say that there were not too many on set photographers around at the time. At least I didn't ask ask if he had any photos from his part as the Russian ballet dancer on The Colbys.
I got my autographed photo and selfie for the expected price of $75.00 and went on my way.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Meeting Adrian Paul
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 02:38:14 PM »
Glad to learn your encounter was so pleasant all around. And considering DS was apparently lumped in with "and more" in his credits, we suspected he wouldn't have '91 DS photos - it's too bad that it turned out to be true. But it is good to learn that he has had requests for them. Posed for character head shots of Jeremiah definitely exist because a few have been published in the PomPress books. There are also shots of some of Jeremiah's scenes, including after Angelique has resurrected him.

And as for him looking "pretty damn good," I remarked back in May that based on the photo of him on the Terrificon Web site, he seems to have aged well. Well, I suppose now we know that he doesn't look so good in the photo simply because it might have been photoshopped.  [easter_wink]  [easter_cheesy]

Thanks for sharing, Uncle Roger.  [easter_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 03:02:21 PM »
I know there are several photos of Jeremiah in a few PomPress books, but for the fun of it I just looked in Dark Shadows Resurrected to see what is in it and discovered 5 related images: 2 shots of scenes (from the duel), 1 shot of Jeremiah's portrait, 1 character head shot, and 1 behind the scenes shot of Adrian reclining on Jeremiah's bed with his shirt completely undone. The latter would definitely appeal to a certain contingent of his fans, and they know who they are!  [easter_grin]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 03:14:47 PM »
He and Lysette Anthony did a fashion shoot for Los Angeles magazine (I think that was the name of the magazine) which was very nicely done and would be considered quite retro now.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 03:38:01 PM »
A quick search for Adrian Paul Dark Shadows under Google images brought up a few DS photos, though none of them were especially uncommon. But Pinterest was quite another story. The majority of the photos were from Highlander but there was quite a range of other stuff as well. Including one of him as the Russian ballet dancer on The Colbys.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 06:48:48 PM »
I met Adrian Paul at a Fanboy convention here years ago. He signed the only photo I had with Jeremiah in it ... Jeremiah was back to back with Barnabas with dueling pistols raised. He inscribed it to me with Living in the Shadows.  Adrian was very friendly and answered a couple questions about DS in his Q and A.

I collected as many photos as I could get my hands on when the 91 series first came out and pick up any that I come across on ebay I don't already have. There just aren't a lot of them ... mostly variations of Ben Cross snarling or Lysette posing as Angelique.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 11:09:26 PM »
How timely that Adrian/Jeremiah should pop up in the slideshow this week:

Ep #7 - Jeremiah: 'The woman is misery on two legs.'

(And I love how Joshua replies to that line with, "Count yourself lucky she has not three or four."  [easter_cheesy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 11:22:25 PM »
I collected as many photos as I could get my hands on when the 91 series first came out and pick up any that I come across on ebay I don't already have. There just aren't a lot of them ... mostly variations of Ben Cross snarling or Lysette posing as Angelique.

It's quite unfortunate that there are so many photos in existence from the '91 DS but so few show up for sale online. Besides Ben Cross/Barnabas and Lysette Anthony/Angelique, I have seen Michael T. Weiss/Joe/Peter and Barbara Steele/Julia/Natalie - but I suspect that has more to do with MTW's popularity due to The Pretender and Barbara Steele, well, being Barbara Steele.  [easter_wink]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 11:39:09 PM »
One of the early 1990's festivals had a ton of them. It really was overwhelming but by the next festival, a lot of those pictures, as well as quite a few of the dealers, were nowhere to be seen.
A lot of my DS pictures were purchased from photo dealers. I got a lot of stuff from Hollywood Book and Poster on Hollywood Boulevard. If they didn't have a particular picture in stock, they would print it up from the negative and mail it to you. I saw Jim Pierson's name all over the files. Unfortunately, Hollywood Book and Poster, which was one of the last of its kind, closed its doors in 2015.
Jerry Ohlinger's in Manhattan was another great source. They had five huge books of DS related photos, the original series, the films, the NBC series and convention photos. Of particular amusement was a rather unflattering picture of TLATKLS, which had a note attached to it saying: Will not sign this.
There are other outlets for unusual pictures. Getty images is one, if you don't mind the watermark.
Barbara Steele usually has a few DS shots available but you have to ask for them, as she doesn't always have them on display at her table.
Fade Away and Radiate