Author Topic: Very sad news... not OT  (Read 4789 times)

Offline scout75

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
Re: Very sad news... not OT
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2002, 11:06:27 PM »
I re-watched the episodes where Jason finally discovers Barnabas' secret this summer and enjoyed them as if I'd never seen them before.

Dennis Patrick always brought such excitement and an underlying sense of humor to each scene that he was in, and worked so well so with each member of the cast.

(I love it when Jason tries to bribe Buzz into dumping Carolyn with the promise of a new motorcycle. [lghb] A fond TV memory.)

Anyway, I'm very sad to hear about this...sad, sad news.

:'(

BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2002, 11:10:43 PM »
I will treasure this photo with him and the kiss he gave me on the cheek for the gift I gave to him at the 2002 Festival!

What a lovely photo Vam.  How lucky you are to have this as a lasting memory of Dennis Patrick.  This is something that you will treasure for ever!
"Calamity Jane"

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2002, 12:14:06 AM »
Oh my! I was shocked when I heard about his death. From what I've heard he was a real great funny person. I thought he was great in his Jason McGuire role. He will be sorely missed :(

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2002, 12:48:19 AM »
I couldn't believe it when I heard the news report this AM. Although they didn't mention his Dark Shadows role in the list of his credits, it's nice to know that HE enjoyed this role enough to attend the Fests. I've seen his name on several programs but never met him. I really enjoyed his work and will remember him fondly.

Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline ElizabethGrayson

• Junior Poster
  • Would you care to pet my dragon?
    • View Profile
    • Jen's Eclectic Corner...
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2002, 02:01:11 AM »
This has saddened me to the point of tears.  I'm glad that he didn't die alone....my condolences and prayers are with his family.

EG
Always remember you have the knowledge to do what's right, and the power to right what's done.
(Bill Sisler, "Fields of Honor")

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2002, 03:11:38 AM »
What stunning news to hear. I feel so saddened. As I've mentioned on this board before, it seemed like whatever scene he was in on DS, his performance was always electrifying.  He always knew his lines and seemed to bring out the best in the actors in scene with him. He was definitely one of my favorite actors on the show be it Jason or Paul.

I'd heard that he might be attending the fest in NY next year and I had made a mental note only yesterday that I wanted to get his autograph and talk with him. He was also intending to participate on the chat series from MPI videos that I was looking forward to.

My heart goes out to his family at their loss.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2002, 05:11:26 AM »
I am very sad.

He was a nice man, very funny.  Used to enjoy his banter with John Karlen.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2002, 06:54:12 AM »
I first read about Mr. Patrick's death in the Shadowgram email that Marcy sent out.  Then I went through my usual routine of checking the trade sites, and read an online article at Backstage.com about the fire. . .though I've never met Dennis Patrick, while reading the article I felt as though I was reading about losing a friend with whom I'd lost contact, and I felt great sadness.  

Perhaps that's how we all feel about our DS actors--they're very much our friends, whether we've met them personally or not.  Because we've seen them on TV and at conventions--and because they've made themselves so accessible and friendly--they are all part of our extended DS family.

If any of you out west attend a memorial service for Mr. Patrick, please say a little thank you in your prayers on my behalf for the joy he has brought us.

Brian

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2002, 08:55:39 AM »
Very, Very sad to hear of the passing of Dennis Patrick.  He will be missed and I'm even more sad to know that I will never be able to meet him in person.  :(

May he rest in peace.  
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2002, 01:03:18 PM »
Perhaps that's how we all feel about our DS actors--they're very much our friends, whether we've met them personally or not.  Because we've seen them on TV and at conventions--and because they've made themselves so accessible and friendly--they are all part of our extended DS family.

So very true...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2002, 08:50:24 PM »
I missed this post yesterday because I was only able to login for a short time.  What awful news! So touching that he died with his dog at his side.  Sounds like a really kind soul.  
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2002, 09:20:13 PM »
I like to think somewhere up there, Mr. Patrick and Grayson Hall, Joan Bennett, Louis Edmonds and Clarice Blackburn and are all having a good laugh together again.

I'm sure they have given him a raucous welcome.

I'm just beginning to appreciate the incredible intelligence, humor, and energy it took for Dennis Patrick to create Jason McGuire, the DS character I loved to hate most.  We were blessed with his wit and warmth at past Fests, and now we will miss him terribly.

Ben

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2002, 01:06:09 AM »
I was touched by Dennis' love for his wife, Barbara Cason. He loved her very much and was crushed by her unexpected passing several years ago. It seemed like a part of him died at that time also. My prayer is that they are now reunited (along with their faithful doggie, too!)

SDP

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2002, 03:09:23 AM »
My favorite part of DS is the Jason/Willie/Barnabas stoy line.  I hoist my glass to him and hope he's was already in heaven before the devil knews he was dead.

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2002, 07:15:54 AM »

I'm sure they have given him a raucous welcome.

At the Festival in June, when I went to get Dennis Patrick's autograph, he was staring at my Craig Slocum T-shirt, and said "Who is that?" I hope he meets him.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan