Author Topic: Gerard's Watch Fob  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Gerard's Watch Fob
« on: November 13, 2003, 06:56:24 AM »
Another delayed reaction, but ...

I happened to come across something called the "Dark Shadows FAQ."  I'm not sure where it is or how I found it -- I think it used to be linked on Mr. Juggins' webpage ... I know I saved it on disks a few years back.  This is an excellent compendium of knowledge, with some of the best material on DS I've read.

Any way, according to the FAQ, the image on Gerard's watch fob stolen by Lazlo represents the Colussus of Rhodes -- one of the Seven Wonders of the (Ancient) World.  I'm amazed that someone was able to identify this ... I know I looked at it but couldn't identify the image ... to me it looked like possibly a religious medallion.

At any rate, the FAQ author points out that the Colussus itself is a representation of Helios, the god of the sun (later Apollo).  Somehow I find this very interesting ... maybe because Apollo, as the patron and inspirer of reason, order, and poetry (if I'm remembering my Greek mythology) has always been my favorite among the Greek pantheon.  I seem to remember that he was often seen as the direct opposite of Dionysus -- god of unreason, licensiousness, etc.

Interesting if the icon of Apollo was carefully selected for Gerard.  In some ways, it does fit him ... the original Gerard, that is.  Despite his gun running, opportunism, and other exploits, Gerard also was a man of some culture and sophistication ... he plays the piano, for instance; and appears to fit in comfortably with the aristocratic Collins family.

Yet the danger Gerard represented, which has magnified a thousandfold with his possession by Judah Zachary, makes the iconic image of Apollo an ironic representation.  Given the destruction with which Gerard is now associated, perhaps the proper symbol for Gerard/Judah would be the opposing force of Dionysis, destructive and seductive ...

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
Re:Gerard's Watch Fob
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 07:41:01 AM »
T :o hat's an amazing bit of detail.  What episodes would be good for looking at this watch more carefully?

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2003, 05:39:53 PM »
I think we've seen the last of the watch fob.  As far as I know, we only see it (at least in closeup) in the episode where Lazlo stole it.

I don't know who wrote that FAQ, but whomever it was did a superb job.  I'm surprised it isn't referenced more.

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 01:08:59 AM »
 ::) Thank You for that tip on "Mr. Juggins' site."  I found it!  (You can search Juggins & DS to find it -- the FAQ are there if you scroll down a bit)

;D And thank you, "Mr. Juggins!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 08:32:30 PM »
I don't know who wrote that FAQ, but whomever it was did a superb job.

The editors are Roy-Alan Hansen and, as wes said, our own mrjuggins.  The names of the individual contributors and all other sources used can be found in the FAQ section of the DS FAQ. ;)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003, 06:10:43 AM »
The editors are Roy-Alan Hansen and, as wes said, our own mrjuggins.  The names of the individual contributors and all other sources used can be found in the FAQ section of the DS FAQ. ;)

I wish he/they posted here.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2003, 06:13:05 AM »

Mrjuggins posts all the ShadowGram updates, Vlad.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2003, 07:21:50 PM »

Mrjuggins posts all the ShadowGram updates, Vlad.

Roy-Alan Hansen used to post on the old AOL DS boards. But about six years ago he stepped away from online fandom. He might have checked in from time to time since then - but unfortunately I don't *think* he's gotten back to posting regularly anywhere. Tim (Mrjuggins) may be able to provide better info on that, though...