Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0242  (Read 1260 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0242
« on: June 27, 2012, 12:00:04 AM »
Robservations - #242

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0242

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 12:07:51 AM »
Pretty funky curtains there for a doctor’s office.

First mention of Dr. Hoffman, one of the best men in the field.

Perhaps Dr. Hoffman will find a clue under the microphone.

Doesn’t Doc Woodard look perfectly perplexed at Burke’s rambling?

A peach tree. What part of the country was Jason supposedly wooing Liz?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 12:55:42 AM »
Hoffman, "one of the best men in the field" Yes, yes, yes!!!

Maybe Hoffman can explain the "heavy skirmish" going on between Maggie's red and white blood corpuscles.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 09:39:50 AM »
Pretty funky curtains there for a doctor's office.
I was wondering if that was the same window that was used for Maggie's hospital room.

Dr. Woodard referred to Hoffman multiple times as a he - far more that I remembered.  Clearly this was not a momentary slip of the tongue.  Maybe he thought nobody would take Hoffman seriously if it were known that Hoffman was a woman.  Or maybe he was confused.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 02:44:12 PM »
Or maybe they hadn't discovered the secretary's slip of the typewriter yet and didn't realize that Dr. Hoffman was a woman?

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 04:26:13 PM »
Maybe dr. Dave hasn't been made aware there has been a profound change in his friend since med school. I was also thinking of Dave. With all the names to choose from, why pick one so close to another character on the serial.   Roger has found  large sums of money missing and realizes what is going on.  How can Jason spend so much money in Collinsport?  I suppose some is being sent to the bank but it's not like he's at Monte Carlo.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 07:51:56 PM »
Dr. Woodard referred to Hoffman multiple times as a he - far more that I remembered.  Clearly this was not a momentary slip of the tongue.  Maybe he thought nobody would take Hoffman seriously if it were known that Hoffman was a woman.  Or maybe he was confused.

Today while checking out the already posted screen caps for Ep #247 on the Games boards, I was reminded of your theory that completely cleared up the entire supposed Hoffman mystery:

Burke:  The fact is, Sam, Dave is a love-'em-and-leave-'em kind of guy.  Don't spread it around, but I've heard the real reason Julian Hoffman got that sex change operation was that he was hoping Dave would marry him - um...her.

Apparently in this ep Dr. Woodard was still in denial over the sex change operation.  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 08:04:51 PM »
Apparently in this ep Dr. Woodard was still in denial over the sex change operation.  [ghost_cheesy]

Was that surgery available in 1967 in the USA? Anyway, the intro to Miss Hoffman is one of my least fave aspects of DS. I love Grayson Hall, don't get me wrong, but the show went too weird from the time she came into the picture.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 08:17:46 PM »
I looked on Google, and according to this article the surgery was available in the US - though it was more prevalent in Europe, which is where Hoffman may have had it. Though those details could be a perfect subject for fan fiction to explore, if you ask me.  [ghost_grin]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 08:56:38 PM »

Was that surgery available in 1967 in the USA? Anyway, the intro to Miss Hoffman is one of my least fave aspects of DS. I love Grayson Hall, don't get me wrong, but the show went too weird from the time she came into the picture.

You like 'weird', admit it!   One of the fascinating parts of DS for me as a kid was the idea of trying to treat a vampire medically.  Julia might have been undermined later by the need to spin wheels and kill time while behind the scenes they were getting ready for later stories such as 1795.   Contrived wheel-spinning and stalling tend to undermine drama and terror!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Jorgensen

The first famous case, Christine Jorgensen, happened in 1952, I was surprised to find out just now.   Everything seems to go back further than I realize.   It was known as the "Swedish operation" I think, but hers was done in Denmark.   The film Myra Breckenridge was out in 1970.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 02:02:09 PM »
Apparently in this ep Dr. Woodard was still in denial over the sex change operation.

Hmm...let's find out why.
Episode #0242