Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0465  (Read 821 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0465
« on: May 25, 2013, 05:22:06 PM »
Robservations #465

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0465

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 10:06:44 PM »
Barnabas decides that the only way he can control Vicki is to persuade her to elope with him.

Joe looks very handsome indeed when he stops by the Great House to return Vicki's charm bracelet. The courthouse where she underwent her trial is about to be torn down, but she remembers it when it was a lot newer.

That night she has one of the best dream sequences in the show, with the notorious Nathan Forbes! Is one of the scenes that Joel Crothers wrote for himself? He certainly seems quite at home in the great beyond, but since it's Vicki's dream, he doesn't name his murderer. The dream concludes with a rather vivid hanging--we see Peter's boots treading the empty air.

When Barnabas and Vicki meet, she insists on going to the mausoleum one last time--and since she's driving, Barnabas has no choice. Driving to the mausoleum seems to take much longer than going by horse-drawn carriage or even walking, and Barnabas has a lot of questions for Vicki on the way. (I sort of miss the lobster-claw effect, though.) Suddenly someone who looks remarkably like Peter steps into the road, and we have yet another car crash!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 07:31:19 PM »
We see Joe Haskell for the first time since 1795, and Joel Crothers hasn't really toned down his acting yet, to suit good old, good-natured, mild-mannered Joe.   Maybe it's because he had to come back as Nathan in the very same episode, later.   

Peter's dream cell (as opposed to Barbie's Dream House) is full of smoke.   I'm not sure that makes it dreamlike.   Nathan has a good line post-mortem:  "Here's to death, the best of all possible worlds!"

Roger Davis is credited as Peter Bradford only.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 07:42:36 AM »
Well, hello Joe! What do you know? Joe returns Vicki charm bracelet (which hasn’t tarnished one iota in a few centuries). Vicki jumbles the past with the present cornfusing Joe. Cute-ish scene. Vicki’s Peter dream was weird but dreams are generally weird. Perhaps there was a point to it – but its kinda lost on me – or maybe I don’t really care. I’ll admit that I am not a fan of Dark Shadows dreams. Vicki remembers the secret room in the mausoleum to Barnabas and they head there much to Barn’s objections. Vicki feels that rediscovering the secret room will convince her that she did indeed endure the past and did not ‘dream’ it. I loved the way Vicki resisted Barn’s appeals at every turn – It was funny. I kept picturing Barnabas thinking to himself “Oh, shit, what have I gotten myself into with another headstrong woman!” This episode didn’t do much for me, mostly because of the dream sequence, though the last scene was pretty damn funny, interesting and exciting.

Look out! Look out! Look out! Look out!

Random thought: Peter Bradford: Puling & tacky – yeah. I have no memory of everyone showing up so soon after the storyline returns to present day Collinsport. It’s exciting to me.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 03:51:52 PM »
*hums "Leader of the Pack"*

I guess the purpose of the dream is to remind us that as Vicki was at the scaffold and about to be hanged, Peter promised that he would find her.

Barbabas's desperation was pretty funny, wasn't it!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 05:19:48 PM »
I love the Shangri-las, dom, which I'm sure comes [easter_rolleyes] as no surprise.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 05:58:14 PM »
None at all, Unc. <big smile>

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 06:49:22 PM »
I'm surprised that the devil's charm was not destroyed or at least stolen and sold by one of the irate townspeople. Joe mentions that Maggie gave the bracelet for her birthday. The man that looks as if he were Peter is supposedly in the road but it looks as if  he's off in the woods.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times