Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0888  (Read 2836 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0888
« on: February 20, 2015, 03:20:08 AM »
Robservations #888

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0888

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 05:23:00 PM »
This episode was actually mainly in tune to a regular soap opera storyline as in the first year of DS.  They should have continued the Paul Stoddard storyline in this manner separate from Leviathan.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 05:57:51 PM »
Joey, it still would have been interesting if they had. But DC somehow got his hands on H. P. Lovecraft's Leviathan stories, and the rest is history. *sigh* But as always, I do like how the writers set up the story for us.

Welcome back, Dennis Patrick and Marie Wallace! And welcome, Christopher Bernau!

Poor Julia has been waiting patiently for Barn to re-materialize. Carolyn tells her that sometimes Chris Jennings seems like two different people. Julia makes a noncommittal reply, then Carolyn takes her to the "divine" antique shop in town, where she introduces Julia to the proprietors, Megan and Philip Todd. (Unfortunately, Philip is wearing a maroon self-belted turtleneck sweater and gray windowpane plaid trousers, but after all it was 1969.)

Julia is amazed to find that one of the Todds' new items is a landscape by Charles Delaware Tate, painted 20 years ago. Julia’s amazement increases at the thought that Charles Delaware Tate, in his late twenties in 1897, went on painting for another fifty years. (Presumably Petofi had no chance to withdraw his gift of talent before Garth Blackwood attacked him and started the fire.) Philip draws her attention to the lack of age crackling in the glaze; the subject is modern, but the canvas is not. Since Tate would be about a hundred years old if he is still alive, he was in control of his faculties in his eighties, Philip comments. It’s not inconceivable that he could still be alive, Julia observes. Philip says he found the painting at the Anderson auction house in Rockport, and will sell it to Julia for three hundred dollars. Julia promptly fishes out her checkbook while Carolyn watches in surprise. Once they leave, Megan and Philip have Champagne to celebrate their first big sale. (In 1969 dollars, it would have been a significant one.)

Julia phones the Anderson auction house. They tell her the painting was part of the estate of Matthew Smith. There were no other Tate paintings, but someone else tried to buy hers. She asks who, but we don’t know what answer she gets. After she hangs up, she thinks to herself. I must find out if Tate is still alive. Somehow the portrait of Quentin saved him from the werewolf curse. If Tate is still alive, he may be able to help Chris Jennings.

Walking through the woods, Carolyn comes on the cairn-altar with its snake-carved stele. What is it? she asks herself, Where did it come from? No one could have built it without the family’s knowledge. The stranger steps into the clearing, startling her. We can now see that he has gray hair and a gray mustache. He is somewhere in his fifties, trim, and still fine looking. Courteously he takes off his hat to speak to her and promises not to harm her. Carolyn is frightened, more so when she recognizes him as the stranger from the Old House. He moves to the opposite end of the altar and promises to stay there. What do you want? Carolyn asks. I’m not sure, he replies. Haughtily, Carolyn tells him, You’re trespassing on Collins property. I advise you to leave. Are you a Collins? he asks, and she introduces herself as Carolyn Collins Stoddard. The heiress of Collinwood, she has almost unlimited wealth and power at her command. Her assured, regal bearing is very like her mother’s; her golden hair cascades down her shoulders and back in a long, shining fall. The stranger stares at this lovely young woman, speechless, even when Carolyn addresses him once or twice. Gazing at her with a strange fondness, he recovers and tells her, You’re a very beautiful woman. Carolyn refuses to be flattered and orders him to leave. Not the least offended, he replies, And I like your attitude. You know what is yours. I would be willing to wager that you would be willing to fight to keep it. You’ve read me well, she admits. I hope we will meet again, the stranger says politely. Don’t count on it, she says rudely. The stranger replies mildly, Yes, well, you don't know me. I am counting on it. He walks past Carolyn to leave, but she moves to keep the altar between them.

Megan and Philip are still jubilant over the success of their day, but suddenly all the happiness seems to drain away from Megan’s face. She pulls down the door and window shades and locks the door as Philip watches in surprise. She is agitated, and at first he misreads her mood. Then he realizes that something is troubling her. I’ve had a premonition, she tells him. Something terrible is going to happen to us if we stay. We should sell the shop and leave Collinsport. But we just bought the shop, Philip reminds her. He holds her close as he tells her, Don’t let one fleeting thought spoil everything. I’m sure we’ll be a big success. But even in his arms, Megan still seems frightened.

The stranger returns to the clearing with the altar. He stares at it for a moment, touches it, then hurries away. A moment later, the altar splits down the middle, and the two halves separate......

[The identity of the mysterious stranger is revealed in the closing credits, spoiling the surprise that awaits Carolyn and others at Collinwood.]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 06:09:21 PM »
Any opinions on our knowing that it is Paul Stoddard that is back in town before the characters do? It does add a different element to the reveal - our anxiously waiting for them to find out - our knowing something they don't, etc. - as opposed to us all finding out and being surprised at the same time?

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 08:32:02 PM »
At the time of the first airing, newer viewers who didn't see the Jason McGuire episodes may not have known who Paul Stoddard actually was.  I had already known beforehand as I read it in the zines in the mid 80's.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 09:07:29 PM »
My first viewing started with the arrival of Barnabas, so I knew about Paul, but was completely surprised to learn that this was him--although of course I was amused at his resemblance to the late, unlamented Jason McGuire.  [snow_smiley]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 09:31:42 PM »
Watching it originally, I felt somewhat cheated by knowing it was Paul before the characters did. I feel differently now. Intentionally or not, it's a good example of suspense versus shock. I do not feel the same way about the upcoming screen credit for a certain Unknown Man. [snow_rolleyes]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 10:06:14 PM »
Would that unknown man be the Leviathan Barnabas speaks with, who isn't Oberon?  I recall there wasn't any screen credit for any of the actors that day.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 10:10:13 PM »
[spoiler]No, I was referring to the upcoming return of David Selby, who is billed as Unknown Man.[/spoiler]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 04:26:07 AM »
Good for Julia, confronting the skulker like that.  I often wonder what it's like being smaller and slighter, surrounded by clearly more powerful people, looking far up just to see in their faces, especially in Nancy Barrett/ David Selby scenes...

I guess it does make perfect sense to expect Barnabas to reappear in the spot where he vanished.  I wondered why she thought that in my notes. 

Welcome, antique shop, and unaffected Megan and Phillip Todd.  Tate's name and work pop up.  I guess Julia instantly thought of using Tate to help Chris the moment his name came up...  Carolyn is utterly flummoxed by her Tate interest.  She's certainly seen much weirder stuff than that, but then again, she's probably forgotten it all....

[spoiler] Carolyn has never seen a picture of her father, I guess.[/spoiler]

Tense Cairn music is on an obviously scratchy record.  It opens by itself, end.

From DL: "the lack of age crackling in the glaze; the subject is modern, but the canvas is not."  I missed that.  So Julia thinks it might be... not Q's portrait since it's too small.  A piece of it?  Or a trail of bread crumbs to follow?  Did she even get caught up about Q's portrait in 1897?

As for Tate's talent, it's a confused issue right now.  He had a painting career before ever meeting Petofi... he just wasn't great.  The painting we see is not meant to strike us as great.  Tate did lose the ability even to hold a brush steady when Petofi took his gift away, but that's Petofi being a vindictive sledge hammer.  He overdid it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 07:17:33 PM »
Petofi had to restore at least some of Charles's talent when he ordered him to (literally) draw Garth Blackwood back to life. So I guess some of it still remains. But it seems Blackwood was the last portrait he ever drew and he's stuck to landscapes ever since. I for one don't blame him.

I'm sure Elizabeth got rid of every reminder of Paul after [spoiler]she thought she'd killed him[/spoiler].

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 11:14:04 PM »
Petofi restored Charles' talent in Ep #876.  [snow_smiley]  In fact, in the ep Petofi says in as many words: "I've been considering your request that I restore your talent. Since you cooperated with me by showing me the way to the future, I've decided you redeemed yourself completely. You shall be a great painter again." And after Petofi takes Charles' hand in his magical hand, he says "You are beginning to feel like THE Charles Delaware Tate again, aren't you? So you are, my boy. So you are." And then Charles gleefully realizes "It's true. It's true. I do feel the same. I have the gift again. I have it."

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 11:19:06 PM »
Aha, thanks, MB!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 08:07:16 AM »
I know Tate's talent was restored.  But we're being given mixed clues about whether he still has any gift.  Carolyn's diplomatic about how utterly unimpressive the painting is, so while he may very well be avoiding portraits, what he's really doing may be turning out the kind of stuff they put on the walls in Holiday Inns, uninspired, functional landscapes that are "pretty" like family vacation snapshots are, eking out a small living that way, because greatness is behind him.

The way all this plays out in the end makes me think this too.  How would Tate's talent have been lost, after recently having been restored?  By Petofi himself having been destroyed in the fire.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 04:46:54 PM »
Though Carolyn's opinion of something isn't exactly the definitive opinion about it.  [snow_wink][spoiler]And in Ep #889 it's not like Stokes, who would be the first to make a rude comment, says anything like Tate's latter work is inferior to his earlier work. Stokes merely comments that no one has ever copied or forged Tate's style so Julia's Tate is genuine, which could easily imply that Tate's style remained consistent.[/spoiler]