Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0174  (Read 892 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0174
« on: March 23, 2012, 12:17:53 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0174
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 12:36:46 PM »
How I wish we had seen more of John Harkins on Dark Shadows!  I just hope that the reason we didn't is that he was too busy with other roles.  I like the way Lieutenant Costa of Arizona and Inspector (was it Inspector?) Riley of Maine seem to display such constabulary camaraderie on very short acquaintance.

I think Phoenix is as far as we ever get from Collinsport on Dark Shadows.  Loved the cactus in the establishing shot.

Frank Garner calls Dr. Guthrie Pete!  Not Peter, Pete.  Suddenly I have visions of them as frat brothers in college, up all night pulling silly undergraduate pranks and going skinnydipping in the local reservoir in the moonlight, and - well, I don't know.  I never did get around to watching Animal House.  All I know is, any prank would be more fun if Lieutenant Costa were there too.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 02:50:21 PM »
How remarkably like the Collinsport police station the Phoenix police station looks! But it is a nice cactus in the establisher shot.  [snow_smiley]

Poor Carolyn finally gets to have a good cry.

I've always wondered if Lieutenant Costa's name is a reference to the Portuguese immigrants in New England. A lot of them worked in the fisheries.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 04:11:26 PM »
I've always wondered if Lieutenant Costa's name is a reference to the Portuguese immigrants in New England. A lot of them worked in the fisheries.

A lot of them still do!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Watching Project

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 06:20:04 PM »
The Robservations captures for this ep have been posted.  [snow_smiley]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 01:29:35 AM »

Okay, that's the new thing I learned today.   I used to live in Contra Costa County, California... Portuguese for the opposite coast, possibly?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 06:01:28 PM »
Okay, that's the new thing I learned today.
They tend to come from the Azores, so I guess they're used to that sort of thing.  If you can get hold of it, try watching Captains Courageous, with Spencer Tracy playing a Portuguese fisherman out of - I don't know, Gloucester?

I find it hard to believe that the name Costa was a deliberate reference to the New England Portuguese, however.  I can't see why the writers would make that connection.  I figure they just thought the name went with the cactus.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 06:09:08 PM »
"Costa" and "cactus"--oh, yeah, like ham and eggs.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 05:54:51 AM »
The morgue seems so antique even for 1967.  I remember those kind on handles on the ice box in the cellar of my grandmothers house, but I guess that the morgue is one big icebox. I like how Carolyn realizes she took Joe for granted. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 02:44:00 AM »
It occured to me that this would now be the centennial of Arizona's admission to the union, and that Arizona had been a state about half as long in 1967, as it has been now.

They (wisely) didn't let us have a very long glance at that 1930s or 1940s street footage of "Phoenix", did they?   Before that: a single car horn beep, two seconds of a faint wind sound, and a cactus... that's Pheonix, Arizona alright!  I'd know it anywhere!   "I can't say it hasn't been weird!" -- LOL.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor