Author Topic: OT Are old tv show revivals coming to an end?  (Read 1702 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
OT Are old tv show revivals coming to an end?
« on: August 28, 2005, 03:28:39 PM »
Here is an article suggesting that the revivals of old tv shows may be coming to an end. Glad that the author did not mention the Dark Shadows 2004 pilot fiasco.

http://nydailynews.com/entertainment/story/340804p-290981c.html

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT Are old tv show revivals coming to an end?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 05:10:52 PM »
Well, even though this article is mostly about translating TV shows to theatrical movies, it makes valid points that could easily apply to any future version of DS. For instance:

"Yet I think nostalgia of any kind is a double-edged sword," adds (Frank) Spotnitz (an executive producer and writer on "The X-Files" (both the show and the 1998 movie), whose fall show, "The Night Stalker," is an update of a cult early '70s program). "When people see a TV show title from their youth, they're looking for a piece of that old experience to come back, and the truth is, they'll never recapture it."

This is very true. Anyone who might look to any future versions of DS - or even to the '91 series - as a means of recapturing the same experience as watching the original DS is dooming themselves to a huge disappointment. And it's not the fault of the newer version because nothing could ever recapture that same experience. It couldn't even be recaptured if someone miraculously devised a way to have a new version with the same set of actors, returned to the ages they were when they were originally on DS, supported by a similarly youthified crew, and playing the exact same scripts. Things coalesced the ways they did during the original production and it's impossible for them to ever coalesce that same way again.

That having been said, though, it doesn't necessarily follow that any new series version of DS is doomed to failure or to exist as nothing more than a pale copy of the original. Any new versions, regardless of the form they take, need to be judged and accepted/rejected on their own merits, not by how they measure up to the original DS series. As I've said in the past, no new series version of DS should be looked on as a replacement of the original. Yes, of course it's completely understandable to believe that nothing can ever come close to recapturing the same magic of the original DS. But at the same time, there's no reason not to believe that something different, but possibly equally special could potentially be created - not to replace the original - but to coexist alongside it. That's the way I see the '91 series. And I'm still hoping that any possible future series versions of DS might turn out to be something even more interesting. After all, valuable lessons were learned with the '91 series, and one can hope that the next series version would both build and improve upon them.

But to get back onto the subject of turning TV shows into theatrical movies, though the following quote is about sitcoms, I think it's even more valid for soaps:

"Sitcoms, which are based on character relationships, build a rapport with audiences over many seasons in a way that movies just can't do," says Tim Brooks, author of "The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows."

For the very reason Mr. Brooks points out with regard to sitcoms, if a new theatrical movie version of DS was to ever be produced, the chances of it being able to recapture the same experience as watching the original DS is significantly less than it would be with even a potential new DS series. In the limited scope of a film there's simply no way to explore character or build a rapport with an audience in the same way that having characters develop and relationships build over the course of 5 days a week, 52 weeks of the year can. (Though at the same time we could sure as hell hope for more character development than there was in the released version of hoDS!  ::))

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 09:13:36 PM »
Even if it were possible to duplicate the original, those who loved it back then have obviously changed over the years, so the experience wouldn't be the same.  And, back then, it was new, no one knew what would happen next, what other characters or circumstances might come up.  By now, fans are very familiar with it, so watching another couldn't possibly be the same.

That doesn't mean they can't take a similar premise and make something that would be wonderful today, but one couldn't possibly capture the original experience.
Josette

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 10:58:16 PM »
"I think nostalgia of any kind is a double-edged sword," adds Spotnitz. "When people see a TV show title from their youth, they're looking for a piece of that old experience to come back, and the truth is, they'll never recapture it."

I have to agree with this statement. I recently ordered a DVD set of Jack Benny programs, expecting to double up with laughter as I did when I saw them for the first time many moons ago. I laughed plenty, but the old Lucky Strike sponsored programs are certainly dated. I wouldn't expect anyone in their teens in this era to enjoy the Jack Benny program as I once did. Just goes to show you how comedy and censorship have changed.

Janet
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 10:23:06 PM »
Watching the 1991 series was a dream come true and it did immediately bring back memories from watching the original show. As I sit here today, I have no idea what feelings I would have watching a new Dark Shadows series with a different cast etc... In any event, recapturing the same magic of both shows may be difficult to accomplish with a new series but I would love to get the chance.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 03:02:26 PM »
Well, so much for these so called soothsayers!  ABC has just announced it's bringing back "This Is Your Life"!  If only someone were to bring back "What's My Line?".......

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 05:29:34 PM »
Anyone who might look to any future versions of DS - or even to the '91 series - as a means of recapturing the same experience as watching the original DS is dooming themselves to a huge disappointment.

I completely agree.  I love the series to the point that, though I have already spent lots of time and moolah to record it on VHS, I've decided it is something which may someday be so rare that I won't be happy until I have it on DVD (all mine, all mine, muhahahaha!).  Still, as special as it was/is, after seeing it again post 1971, I know that it could only be the same if I were able to suddenly morph into my pre-adolescent self.  And God help me, I really don't even want to go through all that again - not even for Dark Shadows.  ::)

CastleBee...quite content with an occasional glimpse of the magic.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 06:30:16 PM »
Well, so much for these so called soothsayers!  ABC has just announced it's bringing back "This Is Your Life"!  If only someone were to bring back "What's My Line?".......

Reruns of What's My Line are running on the Game Show Network.

Janet
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 08:39:18 PM »
I know, and that's why I want it back.  The show has sophistication and intelligence- things sorely lacking in most of today's reality shows!

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 08:10:23 PM »
I am probably about as big a Doctor Who fan as there ever was and earlier this year that show made an astonishing comeback, bulldozing the competition in the ratings and capturing the hearts of casual as well as fan viewers.  So hope springs eternal in my heart that the same will one day happen for Dark Shadows.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 03:34:41 AM »
TBH, I don't think it's a question of revivals coming to an end or running out of steam...  The culture of reunions, sequels and remakes has been ticking along for nearly three decades now on TV and film, and the hit rate has always been pretty lousy.

The Doctor Who revival is a great example of how to get these things right.  In terms of critical accomplishment and commercial success it is the most triumphant return of a television show ever accomplished.  Sure, there is an element of nostalgia for some of its audience, but for the vast majority, Doctor Who worked because it was the most imaginative, exciting show British TV had enjoyed in years.  The fact it was a revival of an old show was totally incidental.

If a new Dark Shadows is to have a point at all, it needs that kind of impact. Being Dark Shadows isn't good enough...  Make it of the best shows on TV in its own right, and it might have a chance.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 10:33:20 AM »
If a new Dark Shadows is to have a point at all, it needs that kind of impact. Being Dark Shadows isn't good enough...  Make it of the best shows on TV in its own right, and it might have a chance.

I agree completely.

Old magic can't be recaptured. New magic has to be made. IMO, that goes for most shows or movies, especially remakes or re-imaginings.