Author Topic: slight OT: Martha (Sunny) Von Bulow dies in NYC  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Julia99

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: slight OT: Martha (Sunny) Von Bulow dies in NYC
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 10:18:15 PM »
Poor Alexandra-- to have her name coming up still now that the media is again focused on the story.

David

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 12:30:37 AM »
Alexandra clearly had no knowledge of what Von Bulow planned to do.
She divorced Philip Isles decades ago~~maybe she should go back to being Alexandra Moltke~~her legal maiden name.
That would keep this scandal from further affecting her.

David

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 03:26:48 AM »
Poor Alexandra-- to have her name coming up still now that the media is again focused on the story.

Well, at least her name was NOT mentioned, but they just showed a shot of Alexandra on the witness stand on the NBC Nitely News.  [santa_undecided]

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 05:31:17 AM »
I am truly facinated about my ignorance of the things that I knew nothing about concerning DS that I learn from this board.  [santa_thumb]
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 07:40:41 PM »
I feel compelled to point out Claus von Bulow was acquitted after it turned out much of the evidence against him had been planted.  He was and is by all accounts a strange, rather unpleasant man in many ways, but there is no real evidence of his guilt.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 10:10:15 PM »
i live in new york and i can tell you that this scandal resonates little in the popular imagination.
indeed few people under forty have ever even heard of claus and sunny von bulow...or alexandra isles.

mrs.von bulow's death came and went as a blip.i mentioned it at work and most people didn't know what i was talking about.

in her current role as documentary filmmaker alexandra is likely surrounded by a rather high-minded,intellectual community that probably cares little for such salaciousness.

because of alexandra's involvement d.s. fans are somewhat plugged into this sordid little tidbit but i think most people have long ago forgotten the details of this whole affair.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

David

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 10:18:31 PM »
in her current role as documentary filmmaker alexandra is likely surrounded by a rather high-minded,intellectual community that probably cares little for such salaciousness.

Well said indeed, mscbryk!
This is the kind of comment I wish I were smart enough to have thought of first!

David

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 04:59:37 AM »
I live in NYC too.  And plenty of people in my organization mentioned it.  And there were unfortunately plenty who recalled "the mistress".   It's not just a DS preoccupation.  It made the first page of many newspapers and all leading network broadcasts.
Julia99

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 05:52:26 AM »
interestingly this...

where i did read about this alexandra is invariably refered to as a "socialite" and a former "soap opera actress" although d.s. i not mentioned by name(as if the time traveling victoria winters was just some chick on 'all my children').

her work as a documentary filmaker was(fortunately for her)not mentioned.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 01:01:55 PM »
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12092008/gossip/cindy/mistress_mistrusts_mr__von_bulow_143274.htm

Sounds like Alexandra ultimately saw him for the kind of person he was. Guilty or not, her statement here seems to show that she came to recognize a lack of character in him. It speaks to her own character that she went on to establish a wonderful documentary career making films that often spoke for those who have no voice.
I recently watched her "Scandalize My Name" about the Hollywood blacklisting during the McCarthy years. It was beautifully done, as was her film on the Danish resistance, "Power of Conscience." What a talented woman!
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

David

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 05:09:14 AM »
Her new film, The Healing Gardens of New York, has aired on Free Speech TV & Link TV.
It's a sublime & deeply moving look at community gardens in NYC, some of them maintained by the homeless.

Alexandra is a sensitive woman indeed, with many important things to say.

David

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 05:52:56 AM »
I feel compelled to point out Claus von Bulow was acquitted after it turned out much of the evidence against him had been planted. He was and is by all accounts a strange, rather unpleasant man in many ways, but there is no real evidence of his guilt.

An acquittal doesn't mean that he's innocent....there was just too much poisonous fruit to the tree.

I don't know for sure whether von Burlow had anything to do with what happened to his wife, but I wouldn't put it past him. However I do think it was stupid and wrong of Sunny's children or whoever it was to plant that false evidence against him.

Whenever I think of Alexandra, I think of the lovely and gentle Victoria Winters, without giving her involvement with von Burlow another thought. I am pleased to hear that she'd done well as a documentary filmmaker.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 07:07:39 AM »
An acquittal doesn't mean that he's innocent....there was just too much poisonous fruit to the tree.

(fruit of the poisonous tree)

In a legal context, he is, because of the presumption of innocence, meaning a person is innocent until proven guilty.
As explained by Barnabas, however, a person is innocent until proven innocent.  Just kidding, of course.  [snow_wink]