Author Topic: OT/Norton AntiVirus 2004  (Read 3048 times)

Offline DarkShadowyFigure

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
OT/Norton AntiVirus 2004
« on: February 29, 2004, 06:44:41 PM »
My Dell computer has Norton Antivirus 2000 installed in it.  The virus definitions haven't been updated since it was installed (I can't remember if I installed it or if it came that way). It's been recommended that I buy & install the Norton 2004 Antivirus version. I have read of problems with that version. Does anyone here who has the 04 version have troubles with it? Is there a antivirus system better than Norton?

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:OT/Norton AntiVirus 2004
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 05:00:08 AM »
I don't know much about it.  I know that on the WordPerfect forum I use, a number of people have bad things to say about both Norton and McAfee.  I think there was a free one someone recommended.

I have McAfee - the VirusScan Online where one has a subscription and gets automatic updates when they come out.  Norton came on my current computer, so I had that for 3 months.  I've been satisfied with both.
Josette

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 06:47:58 AM »
McAfee Antivirus was installed on my recently purchased Dell laptop.  Then I learned that the university where I'm located recommends Norton antivirus (though they later said both are about equally effective).  I thought to be doubly safe, I'd download and install that, too, from a software suite I'd purchased for $15 from the university.

That was a big mistake.  Basically, I couldn't use my computer -- everything was frozen.  It took several days of phone calls for the IT people to figure out that the problem was caused by my doing this.  They said the two softwares read each other as viruses.

I was annoyed with all kinds of McAfee popups on my computer so I ended up uninstalling that.  I then uninstalled Norton, then reinstalled it using a free download from Norton's website.  It is now actually called Symantec AntiVirus Corp., but the Norton website (sorry I don't have the URL offhand) brings you to it.  There are "live updates" when you click on an icon once you have it installed.

You shouldn't have to pay for antivirus software.

:)
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 09:35:48 AM »
I had always heard that one shouldn't have more than one anti-virus program on the computer.  It's a shame you had to learn that the hard way.

You shouldn't have to pay for antivirus software.

:)

That would be nice - but it's not true, Vlad.  I don't know how Dell does it, but Gateway provided 3 months of the Norton.  During that period one gets the free updates, but when it expires, you have to buy that program or another.

The McAfee I have now is a year's subscription during which time the updates are free, but one does have to purchase the subscription.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 12:18:30 AM »
My Dell computer has Norton Antivirus 2000 installed in it.  The virus definitions haven't been updated since it was installed (I can't remember if I installed it or if it came that way). It's been recommended that I buy & install the Norton 2004 Antivirus version..

You can simply update the virus definitions for 2000. I ran Norton Antivirus 2000 when I was still using Windows, and all you should have to do is go to their Web site and sign up for the update. Updates are free for a certain length of time, and then I believe you have to pay something like $9.95 a year thereafter. There really isn't any reason to buy the 2004 version because both it and the 2000 edition use the exact same virus definitions files...

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 08:42:21 AM »
During that period one gets the free updates, but when it expires, you have to buy that program or another.

The McAfee I have now is a year's subscription during which time the updates are free, but one does have to purchase the subscription.

I'm new to this computer business and am amazed how much there is too learn with owning one as opposed to using one at work or in computer labs, etc.  So I don't know how a lot of these things work.  However, I don't remember seeing anything about having to pay for the Norton antivirus.  I thought it said it was free, whereas the McAfree antivirus software that Dell had preinstalled on my computer clearly said it was a three-month trial subscription.  I guess I'll eventually find out one way or the other ... thanks for the warning ...

The IT guy who was helping me had me download something called Spybot which you can use to "clean" your computer of tracking devices and possibly viruses, I don't really remember.  As far as I know, that was free.

Offline DarkShadowyFigure

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 10:55:51 PM »
There really isn't any reason to buy the 2004 version because both it and the 2000 edition use the exact same virus definitions files...

So the 2000 edition can handle the virus definitions that 2004 version uses?  I called Norton yesterday afternoon. The person I spoke to said that updating the virus definitions for the 2000 version could & would likely cause me problems, especially on a 2000 Dell. Before I could ask about what those problems would be, he tried to sell me the '04 version but I told him some of the things I'd read about people having problems installing & running the '04 edition. Then he suggested I hunt for either the '02 or '03 editions, that I'd have less trouble with those. I forgot to ask him why should I have any trouble with their antivirus program at all. I'll call Norton back this weekend and try to get an answer about what problems updating is supposed to cause (if any). I know for sure I don't want that 2004 version now!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 11:46:21 PM »
The IT guy who was helping me had me download something called Spybot which you can use to "clean" your computer of tracking devices and possibly viruses, I don't really remember.  As far as I know, that was free.

Spybot detects adware/spyware, which are essentially trojans that send information about your computer use to another party, generally for the purposes of targeting you for advertising or learning your computer habits to pump up their ability to market to certain types of users.

Adware/Spyware is not quite the same as a virus, although it's not a nice thing to have on your computer. Some such programs can eat up lots of system resources (meaning that your computer can slow to a crawl) and can hijack your browser so that it will always go to sites someone else wants you to see. Adware/Spyware is often bundled in with freeware/shareware and gets installed without your knowledge. Remember, someone generally pays for those programs you get for free; often it's advertisers who think they might make a buck by grabbing your computer and sucking you into some site you would otherwise not go to.

--Mark

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2004, 06:25:01 AM »
Thanks for providing a thorough explanation of what spyware is and how it works, Mark.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2004, 09:13:40 AM »
If at all possible I always try to find the "free" downloads!  I recently got Spybot and I have the free basic version of the ZoneAlarm firewall.   As I mentioned, some people on the WordPerfect forum mentioned a free anti-virus that they thought was good.  I forget what it is - if I remember I'll try to look it up the next time.  As far as I know, both Norton and McAfee require a purchase.
Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Free Anti-Virus
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2004, 05:48:11 AM »
Information from www.wpuniverse.com

A few people hated McAfee and gave examples of it messing up their systems.  I've never had a problem with it and someone else indicated that he had had no problems.  I remember some others reporting bad things about Norton.

The free one they were talking about is AVG
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

Then someone else mentioned one called Avast and said that AVG can be programmed to check for updates once a day, but Avast checks constantly when connected and has a friendly user interface.  Also, apparently AVG was undecided about remaining free (this was last May).  As you can see from the above, they do still have a free version.  The link for Avast is:  http://www.avast.com/

Then someone else posted:

I have used both Avast and AVG on WinXP Home Edition. Avast was more finicky so I hope AVG doesn't drop it's free edition. A 3rd alternative for free home use is AntiVir available at http://www.free-av.com/
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2004, 05:57:16 AM »
Thanks for posting all that info, Josette. I'm sure Windows users will be in your debt.  ;)

Count me as one of the ones whose system McAfee messed up. Several of my Windows programs completed stopped working after I'd installed it, so it was soon history (thankfully it was only a free trial). However, I never had one problem with Norton. It does seem as if each has problems with certain manufactuer's motherboards, though. Probably the reason Norton worked so well for me was because it came along with my motherboard the last time I upgraded it.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2004, 02:19:37 AM »
As far as I know, both Norton and McAfee require a purchase.

A university e-mail here warns about viruses and says enrolled students may download Norton for free.  It requires a student ID and password and going throught the IT department's page.  It's possible that's what I did, although I don't remember going through those steps.  I thought I just got it off the web -- but I really can't remember.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2004, 01:16:28 AM »
For those of you affiliated with a college, it's worth checking out to see if it offers any free or low-cost software packages.

That's how I get Norton, Microsoft Office, EndNote, etc. and lord knows how many other goodies.

Incidentally, the computer support people here have links to Ad-Aware and Spybot on their site.

Thus endeth the commercial for American universities and their connections to software companies that want to get you hooked on their products... 8)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2004, 01:35:45 AM »
Hi all, i have the Norton Anti - virus installed in
my computer as well. It's a "e" machines the
The version 2002.  But they usually send me a
notice on my computer saying it's time to
renew and i do that all on line.
               Love Anne 8)
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't