Author Topic: Firewall  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Firewall
« on: February 04, 2004, 11:09:28 PM »
MB (or Midnite)...what (again) is a site for a (preferrably FREE) firewall....and how do I know if it's a trustworthy site (I see some for free on cnet...but I trust your guys opinion).

Thanks

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Re:Firewall
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 11:23:52 PM »
Patti -- The most popular (and highly effective) firewall is Zonelabs' ZONEALARM, which is very easy to use (so easy even my mom can handle it). ;)  Get it free at www.zonelabs.com.

I use the Sygate firewall, which is a wee bit more complex, not by much, also very reliable (and free). You can get it at http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm.

There are a few others, but those are the two I'm very familiar with from personal use. I'd rate both quite highly.

--Mark

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 01:16:30 AM »
God Bless you my son :-* :-*

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Ricky101

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Lucille Ball Online
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 02:07:09 AM »
It isn't free, but I reccomend Norton.  It's a firewall and virus protector, and has some cool features.  You can see it at http://norton.com :)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 02:26:27 AM »
Mark dahling...I couldn't find the free download of zonelabs, and I had just been reading about sygate, so I just downloaded it AND I'M HERE ON DS!!!

Thanks again dahling!!!!!

Patti the Protected

sorry to bug y'all again, but when it re-started (after above downloading), it was asking me all kinds of ABC application (not abc, just using that) is trying to access your computer...do you want it to.

In most cases, it was stuff I knew (and sygate lets you remember) I clicked yes (I wasn't yet on-line, this was my stuff).
What I said no to though was
MSBB (does anyone know what this is? When I clicked details, the only thing I knew was 'ping' and ncase, which is something I can't get unistalled??)

Thanks

I ask, because since I said no but I didn't click on remember my answer...EVERY SIXTY SECONDS A SYGATE MESSAGE IS saying, this computer has blocked msbb!!! But I don't want to click on no in case it's something I should let run ).

oyevah

What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 03:49:17 AM »
MSBB (does anyone know what this is?

It's Adware that you dl'd from somewhere.  Select no/don't ask me again, or similar wording

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 03:55:37 AM »
Patti -- Yep, that's spyware on your computer. (Getting rid of it is always a good idea; didn't you ask about spyware/adware removal products a while back?) In the same window that Sygate uses to ask if the program can access the internet, there's a check box that says to the effect, "Remember this answer"; once you answer "no," check it, and the firewall will automatically block the program's access without asking you.

--Mark